yconic - Are my course choices good for business school?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Are my course choices good for business school?

A photo of spicelatte spicelatte
Grade 12 courses:
English
French
Advanced Functions
Calculus
Computer Science
Data Management
Financial Securities

I want to get into either Schulich, Rotman, or Queens. Unfortunately, I didn't take accounting in grade 11 (and consequently, I couldn't take it in grade 12 either). Do business schools give priority to students who have taken accounting in the past?

And do I need any sciences at all? Ahah, there's so much stigma associated with not taking any of the sciences (well, for asians).
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
As long as you take the prerequisites (usually English, AF, and sometimes Calc or Calc/Data) they really don't care what you take. You will not be given preference for having taken/not taken any courses outside of the prerequisites.

Accounting is "recommended" because it will make first year accounting easier (sometimes the same for calc or data). You'll be fine if you don't take it either.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Best highschool courses imo are economics and finance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote
As long as you take the prerequisites (usually English, AF, and sometimes Calc or Calc/Data) they really don't care what you take. You will not be given preference for having taken/not taken any courses outside of the prerequisites.

Accounting is "recommended" because it will make first year accounting easier (sometimes the same for calc or data). You'll be fine if you don't take it either.

+ 1
However you may want to consider taking economics. Not a requirement but it will be beneficial
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I took physics, chemistry, and two art courses in addition to my prereqs and I've gotten into Ivey and Laurier for business.. Courses outside your prereqs really don't improve/decrease your chances of being accepted. Courses like econ and accounting would help you when you're actually AT university, but make no significant impact on your applications
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I would take accounting instead of finance. From what I've heard, Finanace is kinda harder but a lot more useful. With accounting though, you're almost guaranteed a 90 if you stay on top of the work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1

@immaculatedx wrote
Best highschool courses imo are economics and finance.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
I think your schedule is set.

- English... duh!
- 2 maths... if 3, even better
- A spare... extremely helpful, would possibly need one
- French... heard it's useful to take it 4 years in High School
- Financial Securities... the coolest course in High School tbh
- Computer Science... good course as well, could also be a bird course

Lol nice signature btw.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

:B Thanks guys!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@arcchit wrote
I would take accounting instead of finance. From what I've heard, Finanace is kinda harder but a lot more useful. With accounting though, you're almost guaranteed a 90 if you stay on top of the work.

You make no sense. You even admit that finance is more useful, then recommend accounting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nazarus nazarus

@spicelatte wrote
Grade 12 courses:
English
French
Advanced Functions
Calculus
Computer Science
Data Management
Financial Securities

I want to get into either Schulich, Rotman, or Queens. Unfortunately, I didn't take accounting in grade 11 (and consequently, I couldn't take it in grade 12 either). Do business schools give priority to students who have taken accounting in the past?

And do I need any sciences at all? Ahah, there's so much stigma associated with not taking any of the sciences (well, for asians).

No course you take in high school will really prepare you for university.
That being said..

1. Schulich has 0 calculus in its curriculum.
2. Financial Securities is absolutely useless
3. Stats in 1st year Schulich and Queens, 2nd year Rotman, do have some overlap with Data Management, but not to the point where it will help you significantly.
4. Calculus is a requirement in Rotman and Queen's. Go figure.
5. Economics in high school will help you understand Economics in university. But economics in high school is so basic that it really makes only a marginal difference.
6. Why the screw are you taking French?
7. Learning accounting in high school is pretty good - first half of 1st year financial accounting is high school accounting + some extension in theory. Second half, you start learning about bond accounting, and things you can't even fathom in high school.
8. No priorities
9. Don't go to Schulich
10. Don't go to Rotman
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@nazarus wrote

@spicelatte wrote
Grade 12 courses:
English
French
Advanced Functions
Calculus
Computer Science
Data Management
Financial Securities

That being said..

3. Stats in 1st year Schulich and Queens, 2nd year Rotman, do have some overlap with Data Management, but not to the point where it will help you significantly.
5. Economics in high school will help you understand Economics in university. But economics in high school is so basic that it really makes only a marginal difference.
7. Learning accounting in high school is pretty good - first half of 1st year financial accounting is high school accounting + some extension in theory. Second half, you start learning about bond accounting, and things you can't even fathom in high school.
8. No priorities
9. Don't go to Schulich
10. Don't go to Rotman

French is actually one of the most interesting courses, imo.
It would be suicidal to choose all the math/business courses available.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@nazarus wrote

@spicelatte wrote
Grade 12 courses:
English
French
Advanced Functions
Calculus
Computer Science
Data Management
Financial Securities

That being said..

8. No priorities
9. Don't go to Schulich
10. Don't go to Rotman

Hmm, biased much? Everything he took is fine. And yes, it WILL prepare you for university - who said it's not? Why are we even in grade 12 then? Why can't we graduate from Grade 9?

Nazarus, the preparation you're talking about is pretty much saying that you will not be taking the same course in high school that you will in university. Why should we? That's practically like repeating the course. Of course it will be harder and you will learn new things in university, but grade 12 is supposed to prepare you for analytic thinking with the three maths offered, plus a good, very good, beginning and introduction to the business world. I never hear of financial securities but it seems like it could definitely help. Schulich and rotman are among the best, at least in the top 5-6 of Canada from what I know. Many people wish to get in, but it ends up being the student's choice. Please do not discourage anyone here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sahana25 Sahana25

@spicelatte wrote

@nazarus wrote

@spicelatte wrote
Grade 12 courses:
English
French
Advanced Functions
Calculus
Computer Science
Data Management
Financial Securities

That being said..

8. No priorities
9. Don't go to Schulich
10. Don't go to Rotman

French is actually one of the most interesting courses, imo.
It would be suicidal to choose all the math/business courses available.

be careful in taking french because gr 12 french is a lot harder than french in previous years. I maintained a 90 in French throughout highschool, but dropped to an 82 this year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0