yconic - Are online courses easier than in-class?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Are online courses easier than in-class?

A photo of BrunoMars BrunoMars
I plan on repeating English 12U (mid 70s), but only if my mark will increase.
Otherwise, I might as well keep this.

I feel as if my teacher was very bias towards me. She literally threatened me two days ago about exams:

Her: "You skipped class"
Me: "Ms. I had guidance"
Her: "The whole 80 minutes?"
Me: "Around half..."
Her: "I can't believe you would do this, someone who always asks me for favours. I find this very disrespectful, and I hope you remember exams are coming up."

The final statement basically was a threat saying "This is english class, not math, y does not necessarily = to X, but rather X, Z, T, L, P or, M. I decide what's right and what's wrong, not you. I can give you whatever mark I feel like just because I don't like you."

I'm quite upset about this because she bluntly did that for my ISU as well...
I wanna give up on that class already...

Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
Shouldn't have skipped class then.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Did you not read? GUIDANCE APPOINTMENT.

A good while was spent there, and I decided to skip the final half only because groups were presenting and I was done mine! They did NOTHING that day! I ended up sitting in the library and actually studying for my exams, rather than watching presentations that have absolutely no significance to me...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Still no reason to skip class, now you pay the price.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

She's kinda been like that before this 'incident'...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Anywho, back on topic, yes online courses are easier MOST of the time, but it really depends on the teacher, I know tons of people who passed with mid 60s in grade 11 english and then took it online in grade 12 and got low to mids 80s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KingKhan wrote
Anywho, back on topic, yes online courses are easier MOST of the time, its really depends on the teacher, I know tons of people who passed with mid 60s in grade 11 english and then took it online in grade 12 and got low to mids 80s.

I was starting to dislike you, but now, I love you.
Thanks for the reassurance broski.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of victoriagroff victoriagroff
online courses are easy depending on the person. I've had some friends who would rather have hands-on in class learning because when it's all independent it's easier to forget about. I took a course during grade 11 and got 97 in it, but that's because I like the online setting. Think about how you learn best, and it will tell you if it will be easier in the long run.
P.S. if online was easier errone would be doing it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Besides comment #8 by victoriagroff, what does this forum have to do with online courses? :\
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Idk, why do you ask?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
Yes they're easier but less engaging IMO, making it less interesting.

And to OP's situation: Meh .. deal with it for now, you won't have teachers attacking you when you skip as often.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
Yes they're easier but less engaging IMO, making it less interesting.

And to OP's situation: Meh .. deal with it for now, you won't have teachers attacking you when you skip in uni.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh okay. Well, I'm retaking english... So there isn't much engaging required in the first place? In terms of marking are online schools easier?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ps3fanboy25 ps3fanboy25
I think we're in the exact same situation, I am probably gonna get a mid-70 something in English, when I got 90s the past 3 years. I'm not gonna retake it though because I already got accepted to my program and they only want a 65% in English.

Online courses are SO much easier, I am starting one next week. I know people who are idiots but they can get really good marks in online courses. The workload is really light, especially for English. Also its easy to get a 90+ in pretty much any course. Just do your work and don't slack off because even though its online you still gotta work for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ps3fanboy25 wrote
I think we're in the exact same situation, I am probably gonna get a mid-70 something in English, when I got 90s the past 3 years. I'm not gonna retake it though because I already got accepted to my program and they only want a 65% in English.

Online courses are SO much easier, I am starting one next week. I know people who are idiots but they can get really good marks in online courses. The workload is really light, especially for English. Also its easy to get a 90+ in pretty much any course. Just do your work and don't slack off because even though its online you still gotta work for it.

Ah! Finally someone on the same boat!
Did you do bad because of a biased teacher or?
And thanks for the advice, I feel much more confident now and I'm probably gonna do it online. I just wanna know, do they accept debit for the online payment? I don't have a credit card...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ps3fanboy25 ps3fanboy25
For online payment it must be credit card, if you don't have one go buy a prepaid credit card from Walmart. You can use that online ...

But you should try to get into online night school for eng4u. It's free and online night school is much easier. My teacher gave us such few assignments, and whenever she did she marked them so hard. Hate her!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Bro all I wanna do is go into an easy English class and score a 90.
I really don't care about English class because I've gotten the 'experiences and knowledge' from day school. Now all I want is a higher mark.

So night school=lower workload, but difficult marking?
I want a decent workload, but easy marking.

That's all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lifeguard Lifeguard
Online can be easier, IF you are willing to be motivated and do all the assignment on time. Otherwise you're going to end up with twenty late assignments a week before the exam.

When I did my online course I had a lot smaller assignments. It takes a lot of time management skills. Also, sometimes it can get boring because you don't have the class discussions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rxp rxp
Hello there! :)

I am in Grade 10 right now, taking an online course-- CALM (Careers and Life Management). I find it a bit hard-- requires a lot of time on your schedule-- because you have to finish a LOT of assignments--long ones-- throughout the course. It includes a LOT of reading and self-reflection. You have to answer questions in quality-- full sentences, paragraphs, things like that. I don't want you to view taking online courses negatively though. Because its positive side is that you get to work using your own working phase. I am not saying there are no DUE DATES, because there are. They are not as strict as you think they may though, because say like with my situation, I started taking the course two weeks into the beginning of school year. So me handing my assignments in later than the due dates is pretty much acceptable. Adding to that , I have other school commitments as well. :)

Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of misspremed misspremed
It all really depends on what kind of person you are. For me, I love working on the computer and am a good time manager, not to mention I loved the subject, and I ended up with a 97% in my philosophy class. However, I have friends that are equally smart but absolutely hate the online setting and feel like it is way too much.

For my school, the online class shows up as a spare in my timetable because technically, it's done through the online school board (though of course you get credited for it.) If this is like what your school does, it's really important to use that "spare" for working on your class! Don't see it as time off, see it as a class you have to attend just like any other.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LLORTAMAI LLORTAMAI
Online courses tend to be easier but you generally don't learn as much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm not concerned with the learning, just the marking and courseload. I mean, I've learnt everything ENG4U has to teach; I consider this a supplement - in terms of knowledge and marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0