yconic - Are there actually people with low 90s who get into Mac health sci?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Are there actually people with low 90s who get into Mac health sci?

A photo of JackSparrow JackSparrow
I was just wondering if people with borderline 90 averages or even averages of 91 or 92 ever get into Mac health sci. Supposedly, once you pass the 90 cutoff, marks are only used as tie breakers for the supplementary score. However, after skimming through some of the health sci threads from previous years, it seems as though the people who got accepted all have crazy mid-high 90 averages. Of course, I know that not everyone who applies posts their averages on studentawards, but it seems that there are no anecdotes of people getting accepted with low 90 averages, especially in recent years. In fact, the entrance average for Mac health sci last year was 95.4%! (can't find the source for that number but if I remember correctly it was actually on Mac's website)

Thoughts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of DoctorGaga DoctorGaga
i dont think thats true at all! ive spent so much time the past couple months just reading through old and new forums and i noticed a couple people from the forum did get in with low 90 averages! im pretty much in the same situation where i have a low 90 average and am hoping thats enough along with my supplementary, but i believe everyone has an equal shot after the 90 average mark with an amazing supp app :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anotherxnight anotherxnight
High schools vary so much in difficulty so I guess that's why they just make it a 90% cut off. A 90% average at one school can be a 96% at another. Especially when it comes to English. I know a girl who isn't particulary good at english, yet she goes to a relatively easy school in Oakville and pulled off a 96% in the course. On the other hand, I know another girl who is BRILLIANT at English and works hard too. She goes to a more difficult school so she is only getting 92%. I think that the universites recognize those differences.

I've read on here that quite a few people have gotten in the low ninties averages so don't worry. Apparently everything after 90% is fair game. Plus if the average is 95%, then that means there is a significant amount of people entering with averages below that. Be that as it may, I would be worried if I only had a 90% average.

I'm just going to write the best supp app I can and hope for the best. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Yes there are, don't worry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JackSparrow JackSparrow

@anotherxnight wrote
High schools vary so much in difficulty so I guess that's why they just make it a 90% cut off. A 90% average at one school can be a 96% at another. Especially when it comes to English. I know a girl who isn't particulary good at english, yet she goes to a relatively easy school in Oakville and pulled off a 96% in the course. On the other hand, I know another girl who is BRILLIANT at English and works hard too. She goes to a more difficult school so she is only getting 92%. I think that the universites recognize those differences.

I've read on here that quite a few people have gotten in the low ninties averages so don't worry. Apparently everything after 90% is fair game. Plus if the average is 95%, then that means there is a significant amount of people entering with averages below that. Be that as it may, I would be worried if I only had a 90% average.

I'm just going to write the best supp app I can and hope for the best. :)

Yeah, we'll just have to hope for the best! To add to your comments about varying high school difficulties, don't forget that there are hoards of students taking courses like English in sketchy plaza-style private schools and are getting 98s. Last summer, more than half of my grade either took English in summer school or private school to get higher marks. There is virtually no one in grade 12 this year getting a mark above 90 in any of the English classes at my school so far. :( As well, most universities, with the exception of Waterloo, do not discriminate against various high schools, or even private school marks for that matter. If you're interested in reading about Waterloo's grade adjustment practices, here's a handy dandy article from Macleans :)

http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2007/11/08/you-got-in-with-what-grade/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I swear to god that my English teacher bell curved our marks down. A couple of other people and I got 4+s(supposedly 90-100%) on the only thing we handed in so far(non semestered). Yet he gave us all high eighties on our report cards!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lookatme lookatme

@anotherxnight wrote
I swear to god that my English teacher bell curved our marks down. A couple of other people and I got 4+s(supposedly 90-100%) on the only thing we handed in so far(non semestered). Yet he gave us all high eighties on our report cards!

Yeah, it's definitely possible to get into health sci with just low 90's, and don't worry if your English mark is not as good as all your other marks, because I got in and my English mark was only 88. My average that mac looked at when they accepted me was 95.8 though.

However, the majority of the people I know were in IB (so their marks were significantly curved up) or regulars who had averages of 95+. I only know several (I can count them with one hand) who had low 90 averages. Of course, I don't know all the health scis in my year and I obviously didn't ask all the people I met for their averages, but I know more people with 97+ averages than I do with 90-95 averages. Good luck! It doesn't hurt to apply so just give it your best shot!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If the entering average was 95% and you know a lot of people with 97+ averages who are in it, that means there must be people with lower ninties averages bringing it down? Or just a whole load of people with 95 averages. My average isn't per say 93.3. A lot of people have their math marks bringing their average up, but mine are bringing it down. :( My highest is 89. LOL. Do you think I still stand a decenct change, provided my supp apps are good?

And I knew two people who both had 98% averages who didn't get in last year.

I don't understand how people from harder schools are supposed to compete with bell curved or summer school marks and easy schools that give away marks. I know that it's not because I'm "dumber". Im coming from a school with a gifted program(which I'm in) and ap courses with no bellcurve. There is guy in my school who has won national biology competitions and scored 2350 on his SATs who still has "only" a 96% average. I hate to whine but it is all really discouraging.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lookatme lookatme

@anotherxnight wrote
If the entering average was 95% and you know a lot of people with 97+ averages who are in it, that means there must be people with lower ninties averages bringing it down? Or just a whole load of people with 95 averages. My average isn't per say 93.3. A lot of people have their math marks bringing their average up, but mine are bringing it down. :( My highest is 89. LOL. Do you think I still stand a decenct change, provided my supp apps are good?

And I knew two people who both had 98% averages who didn't get in last year.

I don't understand how people from harder schools are supposed to compete with bell curved or summer school marks and easy schools that give away marks. I know that it's not because I'm "dumber". Im coming from a school with a gifted program(which I'm in) and ap courses with no bellcurve. There is guy in my school who has won national biology competitions and scored 2350 on his SATs who still has "only" a 96% average. I hate to whine but it is all really discouraging.

I think the entering average for mcmaster that people found were from CUDO: http://www.mcmaster.ca/avpira/cudo/20092010/20092010B.html People assume that health sciences must be listed under "Other Degrees" and you can see that 63.9% have 95+ averages, which is the majority of the graduating class, even though the average is below 95. You can get a sense from that the distribution of the entering averages that most people have that got into this program.

As well, I honestly don't think that someone who won biology competitions or got a really high SAT score is more deserving of this acceptance than someone who didn't get those awards or scores. There's a reason why the admission in health sci don't ask for extra-curriculars. They just ask you to answer a few obscure questions to try to get a glimpse of who you really are as a person.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted