yconic - Are these courses for Grade 12 good?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Are these courses for Grade 12 good?

A photo of CatWarrior1995 CatWarrior1995
I'm going for accounting and these are my grade 12 courses.

- All 3 Maths ( Adv. Functions, Calc. and vectors, Data)
- Chem. 12 U
- Accounting/Finance 12 M
- Business
- English U
- Transportation Tech. 12 M

What are the pros and cons of my course selection...I got a 77 in grd. 11 functions w/o barely doing my homework, so what would be estimated marks in math?

Post your advice and what not :D

I tend to procrastinate ( go on youtube and play ps3 ); I'm currently trying to work on it. (You can give me advice about that as well :))
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of brady23 brady23

@CatWarrior1995 wrote

- Chem. 12 U
- Business
- English U

What are the pros and cons of my course selection...I got a 77 in grd. 11 functions w/o barely doing my homework, so what would be estimated marks in math?

I tend to procrastinate ( go on youtube and play ps3 ); I'm currently trying to work on it. (You can give me advice about that as well :))

Pros: Most of your courses are good. The 3 Maths will definitely help you for Business, you're taking Accounting and Finance, which will help a lot in business. And I take it you are taking Transportation Tech as an average booster? Just make sure you can get a 90+ in it, you don't want to have an elective that you have a 78 in, the electives are meant to boost your top 6, and it can help you a lot if you choose the right elective. Your courses will definitely give you a solid foundation for first year business.

Cons: I would not recommend chemistry. If you are going into business, it is not logical for the amount of dedication and time that chemistry 12 requires to do well in it. You'll have time-consuming homework everyday, weekly labs, monthly tests, weekly quizzes, biweekly assignments, etc. It really hogs up too much time that you could use to focus on your other classes.

Take another easy elective instead of chemistry. I recommend taking Economics, then you would have all 3 core business courses (Accounting 12, Finance 12, Economics 12), the 3 maths which will help you a lot in university (Data, AF, Calc), and 1 average booster (Transportation Tech). If you want more average boosters take one in summer school like International Business or Business Leaderhsip.

And if you are getting a 77 in math with no effort, it's only the beginning, the middle parts of math are the hardest. And you should definitely do homework, 11U Functions is actually somewhat related to Advanced Functions, and you don't want to be the person who didn't do their trig identity homework in grade 11 and now can't remember the other 20 that they learn in grade 12 based on the ones they learned in grade 11 (just showing you how important homework can be). Homework only takes up maybe max 2 hours per day for math, you should find the time to do it.

But your courses are definitely great choices. I would just switch chemistry with something more related to your field and beneficial to you. Good luck!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm wondering if you'll be too laden down...like the one above me said, I recommend you replace chem with an easy elective, because chem would be pretty useless if you're planning to go to accounting.

I'm a procrastinator too, and everytime I try to do homework on the computer I end up on Facebook and such...I recommend you just go to a local, quite cafe from time to time when you have lots of homework, buy something small, and just study there with no distractions. It always seems to work for me as I have nothing else to do other than study :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@brady23 wrote

@CatWarrior1995 wrote

- Chem. 12 U
- Business
- English U

Pros: Most of your courses are good. The 3 Maths will definitely help you for Business, you're taking Accounting and Finance, which will help a lot in business. And I take it you are taking Transportation Tech as an average booster? Just make sure you can get a 90+ in it, you don't want to have an elective that you have a 78 in, the electives are meant to boost your top 6, and it can help you a lot if you choose the right elective. Your courses will definitely give you a solid foundation for first year business.

Cons: I would not recommend chemistry. If you are going into business, it is not logical for the amount of dedication and time that chemistry 12 requires to do well in it. You'll have time-consuming homework everyday, weekly labs, monthly tests, weekly quizzes, biweekly assignments, etc. It really hogs up too much time that you could use to focus on your other classes.

Take another easy elective instead of chemistry. I recommend taking Economics, then you would have all 3 core business courses (Accounting 12, Finance 12, Economics 12), the 3 maths which will help you a lot in university (Data, AF, Calc), and 1 average booster (Transportation Tech). If you want more average boosters take one in summer school like International Business or Business Leaderhsip.

And if you are getting a 77 in math with no effort, it's only the beginning, the middle parts of math are the hardest. And you should definitely do homework, 11U Functions is actually somewhat related to Advanced Functions, and you don't want to be the person who didn't do their trig identity homework in grade 11 and now can't remember the other 20 that they learn in grade 12 based on the ones they learned in grade 11 (just showing you how important homework can be). Homework only takes up maybe max 2 hours per day for math, you should find the time to do it.

But your courses are definitely great choices. I would just switch chemistry with something more related to your field and beneficial to you. Good luck!

Oh alright... but my parents said I need atleast one science so I picked chem. cause I like it the most.

Which of the three maths are easy? Can you tell me about each math and rank them from easiest to hardest? :D Like what mark do you think I can approx. get if I did my homework(looking at my grade 11 mark)

Do you have any advice on doing your homework... I get distracted to easily (youtube, facebook and ps3)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23

@CatWarrior1995 wrote

@brady23 wrote

@CatWarrior1995 wrote

- Chem. 12 U
- Business
- English U

Oh alright... but my parents said I need atleast one science so I picked chem. cause I like it the most.

Which of the three maths are easy? Can you tell me about each math and rank them from easiest to hardest? :D Like what mark do you think I can approx. get if I did my homework(looking at my grade 11 mark)

Do you have any advice on doing your homework... I get distracted to easily (youtube, facebook and ps3)

You don't need at least one science since you probably already took grade 11 chem to satisfy the group 1/2/3 credit requirement. Even if you like Chemistry, and can get a 90 in it, there are so many other courses where you probably could get higher marks (Business Leadership, International Business) with way less effort, and you'll do better in the rest of your courses because of the less workload.

I don't think any of the 3 maths are easy - including Data. In Advanced Functions and Calculus & Vectors, doing the homework will prepare you for the tests fairly well. Data is like an "English" type of math, you need to understand what the question is asking. I know people who got 90s in Advanced Functions and dropped Data because it was so different and it can be challenging. It's not about following rules like Advanced Functions and Calculus, it is more about problem solving and thinking outside the box. But I guess that is only like 2 / 8 units in Data, the other 6 are probably easy, so I guess Data would be the easiest, but it is still not easy. Advanced Functions is probably the hardest, but the Vectors part of Calculus is much harder. You could probably get mid 70s to mid 80s, and that's a big range and you could even go higher. I've seen kids go from 80s to 60s and 60s to 80s.

I say put in two hours of playtime only after school and then get down to business, if you need to take 15 minute breaks or something. Not doing homework is the major reason for bad marks in math (or lower marks than your full potential).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@brady23 wrote

@CatWarrior1995 wrote

@brady23 wrote

@CatWarrior1995 wrote

- Chem. 12 U
- Business
- English U

You don't need at least one science since you probably already took grade 11 chem to satisfy the group 1/2/3 credit requirement. Even if you like Chemistry, and can get a 90 in it, there are so many other courses where you probably could get higher marks (Business Leadership, International Business) with way less effort, and you'll do better in the rest of your courses because of the less workload.

I don't think any of the 3 maths are easy - including Data. In Advanced Functions and Calculus & Vectors, doing the homework will prepare you for the tests fairly well. Data is like an "English" type of math, you need to understand what the question is asking. I know people who got 90s in Advanced Functions and dropped Data because it was so different and it can be challenging. It's not about following rules like Advanced Functions and Calculus, it is more about problem solving and thinking outside the box. But I guess that is only like 2 / 8 units in Data, the other 6 are probably easy, so I guess Data would be the easiest, but it is still not easy. Advanced Functions is probably the hardest, but the Vectors part of Calculus is much harder. You could probably get mid 70s to mid 80s, and that's a big range and you could even go higher. I've seen kids go from 80s to 60s and 60s to 80s.

I say put in two hours of playtime only after school and then get down to business, if you need to take 15 minute breaks or something. Not doing homework is the major reason for bad marks in math (or lower marks than your full potential).

yeah that business course I took was International business...
Also I'll replace chem. with Business Leadership and I replaced Trans. tech w/ grade 12 law U, idk if it was a good idea but my guidance told me there would be no point of taking trans. teach and the only choice I had was grade 12 Canadaian law U

How is grd. 12 law U?
Is it difficult?
Was this helpful? Yes 0