yconic - Arts over Business crazy?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Arts over Business crazy?

A photo of ScaredStudent ScaredStudent
Heres what i've come up with so far. Just want to get some other perspectives on my decision.

I've recently been accepted to western ivey, queens commerce, and mcgill arts for the fall 2011 term. I got in with a 90 average and pretty solid extra curriculars (in my opinion).

i've been interest in the field of marketing through grade 11 and most of 12 but after taking economics i've found a greater interest in it. I'm also looking to work in the states (was born in the states) or even internationally, and eventually obtain my mba internationally after a few years of work experience.

I think i've come to the decision to go to mcgill, for their arts program. I would like to major in economics, work for a few years, and then apply for an MBA at an ivey school or even in europe. the reason i'm picking mcgill is because i believe it has more of a reputation internationally.

the only thing that is stopping me is that ivey and commerce are such respectable programs within canada and are a lot more selective and rigorous in comparison to mcgill arts, but I feel that the reputation of mcgill surpasses that of queens or western internationally.

so what are everyone's thoughts on the matter?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'd imagine the Arts degree won't yield many jobs for you. IMO it's better to go to Queen's or Ivey and major in Economics there. It's true McGill has a lot of international rep, but MBAs look for work experience the most, and if you can't get a job... well...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara
Well McGill does have a good international reputation, so when you're finished with your arts degree there you could be a waiter in any country you wanted!

Jk lol, i know several smart people turning down business for arts degrees.

Its all going to come down to how much you like each program. Business is usually the more practical degree but if you're really, really set on arts it might be worth it for you. Then again, are you comfortable with slimmer career prospects after graduation? Despite the tiny internation advantage Mcgill has, you're still going for arts vs business. So its more of a personal choice I'd say.

Ivey and Queens do have some international rep, Ivey more so, but both are represented on Wall street and US west coast.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
I'd say if that is what you want, go for it! Your workload at McGill will be much easier and that may result in a better GPA and more time to do community work which you ever so will need to get into an ivy league alongside with great marks.

However, I think you will not be exposed to the networking opportunities that will lead you to a job after your undergrad. You'll have to network on your own in if you're at McGill economics whereas at QC and Ivey you can have a lot of opportunities open to you for recruitment.

One thing is for sure though, at McGill econ you cannot screw up or that is it for you. Say hello to a $14/h secretary position.

If I were you, since you like economics so much go to Queen's and do an option in econ or perhaps even a double degree. Or go to Western and do econ for the first two years and then do Ivey or even consider a double degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SKing16 SKing16
If you want to go into business, why would you go into McGill arts? ... There's several issues with this statement.

Firstly, if you think McGill is so internationally recognized (which I know it is), why wouldn't you do their Commerce program instead, if you want to go into business? McGill arts won't land you good business jobs, regardless of international acclaim.

Secondly, in the global business world, McGill for business is with out a doubt not recognized to be greater than Ivey or Queens, especially in the United States.

Recruiters in the US are not stupid, they know of target business schools all over the world. International business rankings rank Ivey and Queens above McGill countless times.
Secondly, there's a very popular American forum called "wallstreetoasis.com" and time and time again do I see American recruiters working in the industry claim that Ivey and Queens are above McGill, which comes to a close second below the two.

Trust me, Queens and Ivey are definitely better for international business acclaim. McGill Arts? Not so much. Quees and Ivey also have much stronger international alumni.
Go to any American business magazine (Bloomberg Business Week for instance, arguably USA's biggest and most recognized business magazine) and check their international rankings outside of the US. Queen's has been first since 2006, but I think they've dropped to second this year, and Ivey/Schulich/Rotman fall right behind. No Mcgill though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SKing16 wrote
If you want to go into business, why would you go into McGill arts? ... There's several issues with this statement.

Firstly, if you think McGill is so internationally recognized (which I know it is), why wouldn't you do their Commerce program instead, if you want to go into business? McGill arts won't land you good business jobs, regardless of international acclaim.

Secondly, in the global business world, McGill for business is with out a doubt not recognized to be greater than Ivey or Queens, especially in the United States.

Recruiters in the US are not stupid, they know of target business schools all over the world. International business rankings rank Ivey and Queens above McGill countless times.
Secondly, there's a very popular American forum called "wallstreetoasis.com" and time and time again do I see American recruiters working in the industry claim that Ivey and Queens are above McGill, which comes to a close second below the two.

Trust me, Queens and Ivey are definitely better for international business acclaim. McGill Arts? Not so much. Quees and Ivey also have much stronger international alumni.
Go to any American business magazine (Bloomberg Business Week for instance, arguably USA's biggest and most recognized business magazine) and check their international rankings outside of the US. Queen's has been first since 2006, but I think they've dropped to second this year, and Ivey/Schulich/Rotman fall right behind. No Mcgill though.

Didn't have the average for the mcgill commerce program. Don't necessarily want to go into business, in fact recently i've been more interested in economics. So getting away from the business mindset I think mcgill is as a whole recognized better (or even known period) internationally than queens or western.

The whole networking thing is very true though, and thats what draws me to ivey/commerce because of the alumni and networking I can get through the programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm not an expert on Queen's or Ivey, but I'm pretty sure they allow you to specialize in a field later on. If so, you could always just specialize in Economics. Like you said, you've just begun to develop an interest in Economics. Who knows, you might just stop liking it after you've taken it at a University level, in which case you have other options at Queen's/Ivey instead of at McGill Arts.

You could always transfer from Arts to Business, but a lot of people do that and from what I hear, they don't like inter-faculty transfers and only accept students with high GPAs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SKing16 SKing16
Arts isn't necessarily for Economics (unless you mean Economics as a social science art's program) If you're interested in Economics, you should definitely pursue a business degree. You then specialize in Economics later on, there's no need for Arts, and trust me, a Commerce/Business degree with a specialization in Economics looks much better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

First off if you want to have a career in economics, undergrad is NEVER enough.

you need at least Masters, phd for research level jobs and a designation is good too. so you will need a high gpa in undergrad to get into a good graduate school

Im doing the same thing. I was in commerce at UofT (sauga campus) for accounting, but i found accounting too boring and too 9-5 ish.

I found economics really interesting, youll see once you get to uni. depends where you go actually, UofT is known worldwide for its economics programs.

I also want to pursue the CFA designation. CFA has a math/economics focus.

dont worry about what degree you get. It doesnt matter if its bcomm, bba, ba etc. it is undergrad, noone cares what you did then, do some research and look at programs like MFE, MFRM, MF and the CFA designation. thats what you want to aim for
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@matt2014 wrote
First off if you want to have a career in economics, undergrad is NEVER enough.

you need at last Masters, phd for research level jobs. so you will need a high gpa in undergrad to get into a good graduate school

Im doing the same thing. I was in commerce at UofT (sauga campus) for accounting, but i found accounting too boring and too 9-5 ish.

I found economics really interesting, youll see once you get to uni. depends where you go actually, UofT is known worldwide for its economics programs.

I also want to pursue the CFA designation. CFA has a math/economics focus.

dont worry about what degree you get. It doesnt matter if its bcomm, bba, ba etc. it matters what you do in school.

i'm already set on going for my masters, either in economics or business depending on what field I end up being more interested in. I also plan on getting as involved as possible extra-curricular wise in the university I attend
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
You need to go for what you really want! If arts is what you want, then by all means, gooo! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LeafsFan16 LeafsFan16
Queen's over the other two
Was this helpful? Yes 0