yconic - ARTS SCHOOLS IN CANADA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

ARTS SCHOOLS IN CANADA

A photo of Mikelie Mikelie
Hey! I was wondering everyones recommendations for a student looking into a Fine Arts degree or Animation?
I also love psychology and criminology, archaeology and paleontology. I dabble in physics :batman:
Anyone have an idea of a good school for me?
Emily Carr, Sheridan, U of A, Art Institute good choices?
HELP PLEASE!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of Qq Qq
Check the other threads before making one, this has been asked before
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks i saw, but i didnt see emily carr or sheridan even mentioned. plus they said only a BA.
i was looking for more detail.
thanks for your insightful help lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of MelanieROACH MelanieROACH
Some people may look down upon it because it is a maritime school, but St.Thomas University solely focuses on Arts and they have awesome class sizes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@Mikelie wrote
thanks i saw, but i didnt see emily carr or sheridan even mentioned. plus they said only a BA.

What the heck are those?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of treecows treecows

@Qq wrote

@Mikelie wrote

What the heck are those?

Emily Carr = Best west coast F.A school, BC's OCAD equivalent.
Sheridan = Good design college

How strange a commerce student not knowing fine arts schools....

I've heard Sheridan is "the" school to go to for animation, and they prep their graduates for the film/gaming industry. It's gaining a lot of North American recognition for the animation program. It's a very thorough program, and the program is structured really well to cover everything you need to know. Also if you're interested in illustration, my friend was looking into OCAD and Sheridan (first of all, there's a lot of profs that teach at both haha) and Sheridan is much more technical based, and OCAD is very based on like portrayal of emotions in art if that makes sense.

OCAD has an animation minor that you can look into. But just to note, OCAD's teaching philosophy seems to be very geared for profs to be supportive rather than be teachers. They help you reach your goals, but you're really in charge of your work. My friends complain a lot about that.

Sorry I don't know much about west coast art schools! But here's a forum that my friend used when she was applying - people there know a LOT more about BFA's than studentawards for sure haha

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=54a3c37f09f41739431b918aafb54fb1&f=15
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rstudent9 Rstudent9
I've heard that the University of Lethbridge is quite cutting edge. You might want to take a look, especially as it's a university that you might not think of normally.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of elletia elletia
If you're interested in animation, to the extent of my knowledge Sheridan is definitely the way to go.

For Fine Arts there's also OCAD (Ontario College of Art and Design) which is good, and I believe the program at York University for fine arts is also a good one!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Rstudent9 wrote
I've heard that the University of Lethbridge is quite cutting edge. You might want to take a look, especially as it's a university that you might not think of normally.

thats great! i live sort of closer to lethbridge (im in the west, and i dont have money to go to ontario or anything, no matter how much i want to. we'll see how my scholarships go. THANKS!! i nver would have thought of that. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anberlin1990 anberlin1990
If your looking it to Animation. Mohawk just started a brand new program in animation, which also includes learning photoshop and film work
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheHolyThief TheHolyThief
I am a York University Fine Arts student. The fine arts program here is amazing, but you do need to specialize in one of the degrees since there is no general BFA (film, theatre, music, visual arts).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
is there some sort of course that relates to arts and crafts and cabnetry?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kaydancechick kaydancechick
I spoke to a st.thomas rep a few months ago...primarily an arts school but sounds like thy've got a pretty good backgrouindin physcology and criminology as well....i am applying there for journalism

also:
randolph
NSCAD
george brown
sheridan
ryerson
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quaider24 Quaider24

@Mikelie wrote
Hey! I was wondering everyones recommendations for a student looking into a Fine Arts degree or Animation?
I also love psychology and criminology, archaeology and paleontology. I dabble in physics :batman:
Anyone have an idea of a good school for me?
Emily Carr, Sheridan, U of A, Art Institute good choices?
HELP PLEASE!

As a current student of Sheridan (First year in the Visual and Creative Arts program) I highly recommend them! You can even take criminology as an elective. Some of my friends are taking that elective and they're really enjoying it! Sheridan is a great atmosphere and there is a lot always going on! Let me know of any questions that you have about Sheridan and hopefully I can help you out! They have an excellent animation program and illustration program!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of slicedara slicedara
I have some friends who go to Sheridan and they say it's great.
York is good for the fine arts too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LuceeMac LuceeMac
This was a great question, I wa slookign for al these answers!
Was this helpful? Yes 0