yconic - [Asian newbie help] - Please Chance me ^^
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

[Asian newbie help] - Please Chance me ^^

A photo of RobertNguyen RobertNguyen
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and is a Vietnamese student who studied at a American Int' School.

French:____________________89
Environmental Science:_______93
Sociology:_________________92
Economics:_________________94

Two APs, i dont know how the Canadian system would weighted it, but in my school AP are weighted to 1 full GPA point or 10%

AP Calculus:_______________82
AP Chemistry:______________83

Assuming that APs will be boosted by 10%, my average would be 92%, if not 89%. Other than that, My IELTS is 7.5 (lowest 6.5) and I also plan to take the SAT later. Would they be decent for me to have a high chance of getting admitted to most of the business schools in Canada? (or even the top ones like UoT, UBC, McGill. My practical aim is Waterloo though)

Thanks everyone in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of unigirl123101 unigirl123101
what about QC or Ivey?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@unigirl123101 wrote
what about QC or Ivey?

Yeah, Western Ontario is among my choices too. I just didnt list it because i was assuming that those schools that i wrote out have the highest standard, thus if i were able to pass them then i would have no problem with the rest. (for Schulich i'm quite sure i cant make it so it's not on the list) And my other main alternative than normal Business courses is actuary science so I mostly concerned abt Waterloo, UoT and WO. For McGill and UBC, the pull factor is that i got friends studying there =D

P.S: having said so, i also dont have Queens in my plan ^^
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
QC and Ivey probably have the highest standards lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote
QC and Ivey probably have the highest standards lol

Oh sorry i was not sure about that, like i said i was just assuming and that was based on the general thingy. However like I said QC is almost sure not to be on my plan and while Ivey is, my top two aims are Waterloo and UoT.

So could anybody please kindly resolve my original concerns now? Tks a ton :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm only in high school so I only know what's been written on here, but Ivey generally looks for a 90+ average (I think I've read of some people getting in with high 80's) and very good EC's. If you can raise your marks even a little to 90-91, I think you'd have a decent chance. Waterloo has different types of business programs (AFM, FARM, math/ca, biotech/ca etc) and the admission standards differ for each one. I heard U of T (I'm assuming Rotman) accepts people from mid-high 80's, but some people here I read about got rejected with 90's (supposedly because of their english mark, but how would anyone really know)
I heard McGill is all marks-based, and I heard if you have 92+ ish you should be guaranteed (there is no supp app).
Don't know much about UBC, but I heard it's pretty hard to get in (90+ average and good EC's?????? lol)
It would help if you told people the type of business you wanted to go into (finance, accounting, marketing, etc.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote
I'm only in high school so I only know what's been written on here, but Ivey generally looks for a 90+ average (I think I've read of some people getting in with high 80's) and very good EC's. If you can raise your marks even a little to 90-91, I think you'd have a decent chance. Waterloo has different types of business programs (AFM, FARM, math/ca, biotech/ca etc) and the admission standards differ for each one. I heard U of T (I'm assuming Rotman) accepts people from mid-high 80's, but some people here I read about got rejected with 90's (supposedly because of their english mark, but how would anyone really know)
I heard McGill is all marks-based, and I heard if you have 92+ ish you should be guaranteed (there is no supp app).
Don't know much about UBC, but I heard it's pretty hard to get in (90+ average and good EC's?????? lol)
It would help if you told people the type of business you wanted to go into (finance, accounting, marketing, etc.)

Thank you very much for the detailed response. Apart from actuarial science, my likely choices for normal business would be finance and management/entrepreneurship. And for the APs, will the % get boosted up or just stayed same guys?

P.S: i like turtles too, and "turtle" used to be my childhood name :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

For acturial science you should look into UW's math program, because acturial science is a major offered by the math department at UW. And I'm pretty sure every school has a different policy for AP marks, you should probably check their websites/call them and ask.
And......I love turtles.
Was this helpful? Yes 0