yconic - Ask a 2nd Year Ivey Student Anything
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ask a 2nd Year Ivey Student Anything

A photo of aaaaaa3 aaaaaa3
Hey guys,

I used to be on this forum all the time in highschool and figured you guys could use some help. Im an HBA2 at Ivey (4th year of University) and I'm graduating this year. So if you have any questions (Experience,Grades,Jobs etc) go ahead and shoot.

I know Ivey has an official thread but your gonna get candycoated answers from them so let me know whats on your mind.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
52 replies

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
this is genius- thanks for doing this :P :bigsmurf:

two questions - what undergrad did you do for your first two years?
if its bmos- i've heard that it might not be as awesome as it seems... (to put it politely :P)
-what do you think/have heard?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Windsongs4 wrote
this is genius- thanks for doing this :P :bigsmurf:

two questions - what undergrad did you do for your first two years?
if its bmos- i've heard that it might not be as awesome as it seems... (to put it politely :P)
-what do you think/have heard?

I did BMOS. Ya I agree with the fact that its nothing special. It's probably the closest you will come to a business degree but then again it doesn't compare to Ivey at all. Ivey has a more intense workload, is more interactive and probably more interesting as well.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about what you're gonna do your first two years unless you plan on doing a double degree (look at the Ivey website). Just keep your 80 and make sure you have extracirriculars.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
So many questions :O
What field do you plan on going into?
Did you do a summer internship?
How many people do you know got a summer internship for i-banking in NYC and Toronto?
Do you know of anyone who already has full time offers waiting for them?
Do you know similar numbers for S&T?
:O :O :O :O
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Also, if you could choose to do it all over again, would you choose Ivey again? I realize programs' reputations go up and down over the years but do you think Ivey's has changed a lot relative to the competition? In a good way? Bad way? :O
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote
So many questions :O
What field do you plan on going into?
Did you do a summer internship?
How many people do you know got a summer internship for i-banking in NYC and Toronto?
Do you know of anyone who already has full time offers waiting for them?
Do you know similar numbers for S&T?
:O :O :O :O

Consulting. Already have a job.

Yes I did one the summer before Ivey and the summer of HBA1 as well.

For i-banking? I'm gonna say like 20-30 for HBA1. It's supercompetitive and you need to be in the top-10% of your class to be getting these interviews.

Haha I know a lot of people with fulltime offers waiting for them. Probably like 50-60% of all people in my graduating year at Ivey have offers at this point.

Sales and trading is a lot less. I think the number is around 10.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote
Also, if you could choose to do it all over again, would you choose Ivey again? I realize programs' reputations go up and down over the years but do you think Ivey's has changed a lot relative to the competition? In a good way? Bad way? :O

100% I would choose Ivey in a heartbeat. Actually being where I am now I'm happy I never went anywhere else because I seriously don't think I would have the opportunities I have now.

Why I Think Ivey is the best:

Reason #1: The case method and teaching instruction are not matched in any other school. The fact that you have to argue your points in front of 70 people on a day to day basis really builds good business people in my opinion. Social skills are super important in business and if you lack them your're going no where. The case method is applicable to real life and is so much better then constantly staring at a text book.

Reason #2: The job postings and firms that come here is simply better then every other school in Canada. Trust me there are a lot of firms that ONLY go to Ivey in Canada to recruit. You'd be very hard pressed to find any firm that only recruits at Schulich or Queens.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014

@aaaaaa wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

100% I would choose Ivey in a heartbeat. Actually being where I am now I'm happy I never went anywhere else because I seriously don't think I would have the opportunities I have now.

Reason #1: The case method and teaching instruction are not matched in any other school. The fact that you have to argue your points in front of 70 people on a day to day basis really builds good business people in my opinion. Social skills are super important in business and if you lack them your're going no where. The case method is applicable to real life and is so much better then constantly staring at a text book.

Reason #2: The job postings and firms that come here is simply better then every other school in Canada. Trust me there are a lot of firms that ONLY go to Ivey in Canada to recruit. You'd be very hard pressed to find any firm that only recruits at Schulich or Queens.

When was the last time GS AmSSG posted on Ivey?

Exactly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CMA2014 wrote

@aaaaaa wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

When was the last time GS AmSSG posted on Ivey?

Exactly.

GS posts at Ivey all the time. Not sure how amssg differs from regular i-banking.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
aaaaaaa

very cool thread man, thanks for making it

just out of curiosity do you mind sharing which firm you got your consulting job at? if not thats understandable too, thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jack555 wrote
aaaaaaa

very cool thread man, thanks for making it

just out of curiosity do you mind sharing which firm you got your consulting job at? if not thats understandable too, thanks.

Can't sorry. Would be too easy to identify who I am.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Augustus1 Augustus1
Hi aaaaaa,

First of all thanks for taking the time for this. Ignore the CMA guy, he's an insecure tool with nothing better to do than troll high school students (check out his other posts).

Anyway my question was, in your first 2 years at Western, what type of interaction did you have with Ivey? Did you meet other AEOs? Was there a formal venue to do so, or was it just luck that the random people you met turned out to be AEOs? What is the rest of UWO's general attitude towards Ivey?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

YOU ARE DOING CONSULTING!!!!!

awesome- thats what i would like to do!! :)

1. how competitive was it to get an internship with a consulting firm? (if thats where ur internships were)

2. do you like it? is it what you thought it would be like?

3. do lots of people go into consulting from ivey?

(Ill probs think of more later on :P) -thanks tho!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

1. how competitive was it to get an internship with a consulting firm? (if thats where ur internships were)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Windsongs4 wrote

It's very competitive. Probably the most competitive after i-banking.

I do like it, it gives you exposure to several industries, allows you to do some interesting work and work with a lot of smart people. Heck, tell me another job where a SVP regularly takes advice from a 20 year old.

Depends what you mean by lots of people. Probably 5-10% of Ivey goes into consulting. Still especially in consulting, Ivey has more opportunities than the other Canadian schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aaaaaa wrote

I do like it, it gives you exposure to several industries, allows you to do some interesting work and work with a lot of smart people. Heck, tell me another job where a SVP regularly takes advice from a 20 year old.

Depends what you mean by lots of people. Probably 5-10% of Ivey goes into consulting. Still especially in consulting, Ivey has more opportunities than the other Canadian schools.

okeydokes thankss :) and how hard is it to be top 10% of the class?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Windsongs4 wrote

@aaaaaa wrote

okeydokes thankss :) and how hard is it to be top 10% of the class?

Pretty hard I'd say. To the point where it might not even be worth the effort. I wasn't top 10% and I turned out just fine haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
Hi,

I don't want to bring up another school debate. But serious question: Is there a significant difference or a much higher percentage in finance placements from Ivey than Queen's? From what I see in job placement statistics, they seem quite equal, with Ivey marginally higher. Say, I like Queen's structure more than Ivey and may choose Queen's over Ivey (if I get in), how significant is the opportunity cost?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
What would you do for your first two years at Western if you got to choose again?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Augustus1 wrote
Hi aaaaaa,

First of all thanks for taking the time for this. Ignore the CMA guy, he's an insecure tool with nothing better to do than troll high school students (check out his other posts).

Anyway my question was, in your first 2 years at Western, what type of interaction did you have with Ivey? Did you meet other AEOs? Was there a formal venue to do so, or was it just luck that the random people you met turned out to be AEOs? What is the rest of UWO's general attitude towards Ivey?

My bad must have missed this earlier. Theres a bunch of AEO events through an organization called the AEOSA. They hold info sessions, social events and organize sports teams. But you'll also find that you meet a lot of people who are AEO randomly but frequently, especially being in BMOS.

I'd say generally people don't view Ivey any differently. However, there is a proportion of students that believe Ivey kids are big douchebags but you'll get stereotypes no matter what program your in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cliffhanger33 wrote
Hi,

I don't want to bring up another school debate. But serious question: Is there a significant difference or a much higher percentage in finance placements from Ivey than Queen's? From what I see in job placement statistics, they seem quite equal, with Ivey marginally higher. Say, I like Queen's structure more than Ivey and may choose Queen's over Ivey (if I get in), how significant is the opportunity cost?

I honestly can't pull stats out of my head to tell you that. One thing you have to realize with these "placement reports" you guys rely on so heavily is that its only a sample of the class. Its voluntary to fill it out and a lot of people don't do it.

Also, depends what kind of finance job your speaking about. If you want to do i-banking or sales and trading Ivey is a no brainer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote
What would you do for your first two years at Western if you got to choose again?

I'd do engineering. But that would involve me going all the way back to grade 11 and getting science prerequisites I never had. If that was impossible I'd just take BMOS again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33

@aaaaaa wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote
Hi,

I honestly can't pull stats out of my head to tell you that. One thing you have to realize with these "placement reports" you guys rely on so heavily is that its only a sample of the class. Its voluntary to fill it out and a lot of people don't do it.

Also, depends what kind of finance job your speaking about. If you want to do i-banking or sales and trading Ivey is a no brainer.

Yes, that is why I'm asking how much better. If ivey was "no brainer", u mean Ivey dominates over Queen's in finance? I hear they are quite on par with Ivey only slightly better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JonathanEtienne JonathanEtienne

@aaaaaa wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote
Hi,

Let me guess, the people that fill out those forms are those who are satisfied with their upcoming compensations or those who do not wish to make Ivey less attractive? Ivey includes bonuses, promise rewards - were in business, so how can anything be guaranteed? and other forms of "extra compensation" into their placement report. If all of those “extra” incomes were to be removed, do you think it would be fair to say that Ivey grads are on par with Queens and Sauder students (salary wise)?

My final comment is, due to the case methods (communication), Ivey students are good at impressing employers in interviews, but do they live up to the employers expectations? Are there any reports on employers’ satisfactions over the course of months or a few years? I am saying this for I still think that 2 years is not long enough to fully prepare you for the business world.

What are you plans beyond the consulting field?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clevine3 clevine3
I'm in my first year at western and want to apply to Ivey next year. I was wondering what type of things would look good on my application, extra curricular wise, and how important it is to get an 80% average(I know people who are AEO and did not have a 90% avg)

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nancyzhao99 nancyzhao99
Hi, I'm just wondering do you know any AEOs with over 80% average but didn't make it to IVEY because of lack of extracurriculars in university? Thanks in advance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0