yconic - Ask a 2nd year- Laurier BBA and Financial Math student
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ask a 2nd year- Laurier BBA and Financial Math student

A photo of Sarahearts Sarahearts
Hello, my name is Sarah and I'm here to offer you guys some advice if you are planning to attend Laurier next year. I had a 90.5 average in high school and finished my first year in the BBA/BA program with a 10.5 GPA, which is around 85%. So if you are planning to come to Laurier as a BBA student or a double degree student, I'd love to help you out :bounce: Here's my two cents on the courses I took.

BU111-This course was relatively easy except for the midterm. Never miss your labs!!!!

BU121-I found this course quite difficult because of the prof. However, you can do very well if you do your readings daily.

EC120-A lot of content and half of them are useless! I had Jefferson and he was pretty much a monotone machine that put you to sleep every lecture. Marks are easy in his class, and don't forget your clickers :D

EC140-Very easy!

MA110-Pretty much a rerun of high school except for integration, which is easy.

MA121-Lots of memorization. An entire class of proofs sucks :/

MA122-Linear algebra is pretty much a continuation of vectors. I struggled in this class because I had a prof with a thick accent. He gives suprise quizzes to ensure you to never miss his lectures xD.

MA170-This class is very easy, we even did simple interest questions XD

Feel free to ask me questions!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
What are some good clubs to join? And 10.0 GPA is needed for Big 4 interviews right? Except I've heard KPMG is more lenient on that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote
What are some good clubs to join? And 10.0 GPA is needed for Big 4 interviews right? Except I've heard KPMG is more lenient on that.

It is good to join business related clubs because of the networking possibilities. These include the LAA, the LMA, and DEFINITELY SBESS. If you are looking to land an accounting job, it is recommended that you have at least a 10.0 GPA. The interview process for coop jobs is based on a matching system. The higher the GPA, the more choices you will have.

As for KPMG, they might be more lenient on the GPA because they offer other jobs such as marketing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ah yea that makes sense. Do you know what the grade requirements for medium sized firms (like BDO) are?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SuperSolo SuperSolo
Hi! Thanks for Answering!

I'm a high school student but I went to see WLU last summer. For some reason it seemed to me it was very small and bland :(

Is this only because I went in the summer? I keep and hearing that it has great campus life, but when I went I looked kind of run down (no offense) say compared to U of T or Western.

I know it's a smaller school, but I'm really debating on whether to go to Rotman for a Bcom degree or come to WLU for a Honours Economics (or BBA). I'm curious if choosing the undergrad school really matters in the end.

Thanks again!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SuperSolo

I totally get what you're saying about the campus. I felt the EXACT same way and preferred Queens, Ivey and Mac over Laurier.

But it does grow on you. It may not be the prettiest, but it's one of the simplest. Everything is very close together unlike Western (one side of campus to the other is 10-15 minutes, here it's 5 minutes tops).

Between Rotman and Laurier BBA (econ is obviously better if you have a general interest in economics), I'd say they're about on par UNLESS you get co-op. If you get co-op I'd put Laurier a notch above (and if you're speaking about accounting, Top 3 in Canada).

What I like about it is the atmosphere. The people here are great, and the spirit here is ridiculous. What I've heard from UofT in terms of spirt and pride hasn't been good.

Co-op is a great asset as well. If you have any more specific questions about it please feel free to send me a PM because I was the same way :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SuperSolo wrote
Hi! Thanks for Answering!

I'm a high school student but I went to see WLU last summer. For some reason it seemed to me it was very small and bland :(

Is this only because I went in the summer? I keep and hearing that it has great campus life, but when I went I looked kind of run down (no offense) say compared to U of T or Western.

I know it's a smaller school, but I'm really debating on whether to go to Rotman for a Bcom degree or come to WLU for a Honours Economics (or BBA). I'm curious if choosing the undergrad school really matters in the end.

Thanks again!

The campus is a nice size because I like being early to every class :D. If you are planning to become a bba student then I have good news for you! WLU is currently building a new business building is incredible! It should be constructed by 2013.

As for programs, I believe that Rotman Commerce is a great, but they do not offer the practical experience that you need in the real world. Rotman MBA pretty much gives the "prestiege" of the undergraduate commerce program.

Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of melissazhang melissazhang
How many people are in the BBA program and how many people are in a class? How much is tuition? How's the student life there? I live in toronto so i'm scared moving there might be "boring" . Also what's BU111 , BU121, and EC120?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of loohopefull94 loohopefull94
What was your avg
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anth Anth
I believe that there are about 600 BBA students in first year, which would include all the double degrees.

First year your lectures will be ~180 people, however if you take early classes chance are less than a third will show up. One exception to that would be the Business Labs, which are 60 students each. 60 sounds like a lot, but it really isn't, with all of the group work you will know everyone.

For the remaining years you slowly transition to having more and more classes of 60, and less time in the lecture halls.

I would defiantly not classify Waterloo as boring, a visit during the summer really isn't a good representation of the city.

BU111: First Year, First Semester Business Course. First half is primarily on the stock market, while the second focus' on different organizational structures and the external business environment from what I remember.

BU121: First Year, Second Semester Business Course. Marketing and Accounting based.

EC120: Microeconomics, taken in the first semester of first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz

@Anth wrote
I believe that there are about 600 BBA students in first year, which would include all the double degrees.

First year your lectures will be ~180 people, however if you take early classes chance are less than a third will show up. One exception to that would be the Business Labs, which are 60 students each. 60 sounds like a lot, but it really isn't, with all of the group work you will know everyone.

For the remaining years you slowly transition to having more and more classes of 60, and less time in the lecture halls.

I would defiantly not classify Waterloo as boring, a visit during the summer really isn't a good representation of the city.

BU111: First Year, First Semester Business Course. First half is primarily on the stock market, while the second focus' on different organizational structures and the external business environment from what I remember.

BU121: First Year, Second Semester Business Course. Marketing and Accounting based.

EC120: Microeconomics, taken in the first semester of first year.

There are between 800 and 900 BBA's including DD students, not 600.

Business labs have up to 30 people, not 60.

BU111 has been changed this year, and there is now less of a focus on the stock problems. The stock problems have also been shifted to the 2nd half of the course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Karenazql Karenazql
Did you put Laurier BBA as your first choice, and is math (specially Calculus) important to BBA first years? I dropped out from Calculus:(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz

@Karenazql wrote
Did you put Laurier BBA as your first choice, and is math (specially Calculus) important to BBA first years? I dropped out from Calculus:(

Yes you should take it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0