yconic - Ask a Current Waterloo AFM Student
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ask a Current Waterloo AFM Student

A photo of g93 g93
Do you regret choosing AFM?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
90 replies

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@g93 wrote

@Nick0rz wrote

No. Why?

Sorry should of asked "If you could go back would you choose a different program?"

Meant no offence, was mostly just curious.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Colintoto0 Colintoto0
How is the workload? Lots of hours of class each week>? Is it hard to make it into second year? Hard program overall? Could anyone tell me how this could compared to WLU's BBA/BA DD program? Thanks! This is still my top choice if i get in!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Jerzhang Jerzhang
Hey, do you have any advice on writing the AFMAA? And in addition, how much do marks weigh into the admission process. (I.e. around the same as the AFMAA and AIF?)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of loohopefull94 loohopefull94
What was the average around to get into the program
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of san1226 san1226
What do you think is a good average to get into this program, and also waterloo has a co-op for accoutning right, so how does that work, i mean do you have to balance school with work all the time, or is it like you work for sumthing only, then you go to school for sometime and alternate?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Blitz18 Blitz18
Hey, out of curiosity is there any knowledge which would be mandatory for one to know to do well in AFM?
For example, your gr.12 accounting course, would it be possible to succeed in AFM even though you come out of it knowing barely anything or not even taking the course in general?
What about advanced functions and calculus?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of cloverhannah cloverhannah
I applied for "Accounting and Financial Management-BUsiness and Finance Co-op"(WFM). My friend who is a fourth year student of WPA told me that WFM is not as difficult as PA, but it's not likely to help you become a CA. Is that true?

Also, is WFM employable? Do you think the co-op offers will not be as good as PA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@g93 wrote

INTST 101 - Intro to International Studies (1st semester): totally new stuff (although not that complicated, sosome of it isn't really "new"). Pretty easy, and the prof makes it fun & easy, no work involved (just show up to class and/or read the textbook).

This course can be taken online, where the midterm is done online, whenever you want?!? I know what course I'll be registering for next time it's available.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sherl28 sherl28

@Blitz18 wrote
Hey, out of curiosity is there any knowledge which would be mandatory for one to know to do well in AFM?
For example, your gr.12 accounting course, would it be possible to succeed in AFM even though you come out of it knowing barely anything or not even taking the course in general?
What about advanced functions and calculus?

Thanks!

Hey I was a complete science student coming out of High school, I had no business background and Im in AFM right now and Im loving it! Seriously, if you were in my case and you hated science as much as I did by the end of it and wanted to try accounting, then I wouldn't recommend any other program. I feel like I made the right choice and Im so interested in what Im learning right now. And for math, for our year, Calc and Advanced functions were the only math courses required, and its not as complicated in AFM. As g93 mentioned, Math 109 is Mathematics for Accounting, and the hardest it gets is Derivatives.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
For those interested in AFM, I would suggest checking out this brochure online: http://www.mur.uwaterloo.ca/request/#AFM

You can also order a copy of it (to be mailed to you) as well as some of the other UW brochures.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ren416 Ren416
Hey g93,

On the Waterloo website it says that it is recommended that we submit our AIF within 3 weeks of recieving our acknowledgement letter. Do you think that Waterloo will hold anything against me like deducting points on my AIF if I don't submit it with the required time? Do you know why waterloo has that 3 week recommendation date? It would be better if I had more time to do it because I want to make it quality.

Thanks!

Ren
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of weewuu weewuu
How does Waterloo calculate your top 6?
It wants at least two 4U math courses, so I took Data, Calc and Adv Funct. Will Waterloo count all three of those maths into my top 6, or would it only consider the higher two? Or is it that they would count the 3rd math if it's actually in my "top 6?"

Also, would you say the WPA program is "harder" than WFM? I want to be a CA, but my parents are urging me to apply for WFM instead, since it has a higher enrollment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
May one who applies to PA obtain any co-op positions in the Finance field (i.e. banking)? I'm talking about banking at the same level as per say Schulich or Ivey.

Pretty much, does any waterloo program offer banking or even consulting opportunities as good as Schulich or Ivey or Queen's?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of weewuu weewuu
1. Would you happen to know approximately how many people apply for WPA or WFM? And how many people drop out of the program?

2. WPA requires at least 75% in English. Would you say we can get in with exactly 75% in English, but have a low 90 average for top 6?

3. When you applied to University, what were your other choices in order of preference?

Thanks in advance! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of BOSS10 BOSS10
Hey g93, this may have been answered before but i was wondering how exactly to apply to Waterloo's AFM. Realistically, i am aiming for FM but i was wondering when we apply to AFM, do we apply to PA and if we are not admitted, we get automatically deferred to FM so there is no point in applying to specifically PA. Or do we use to applications on PA and FM ? Should we apply to PA for the chance that we might get accepted? But if not we are guaranteed FM??? :o
Was this helpful? Yes 0