yconic - Ask A First Year WLU BBA Student Anything
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ask A First Year WLU BBA Student Anything

A photo of Smothy88 Smothy88
If you have any questions about school, grades, rez, campus life, etc. I'll try to answer them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of Colintoto0 Colintoto0
Hey, so i applied for a double degree at laurier as my second choice and hopefully i get in. My questions are:
1. How are the business courses there? Does it require a lot of time for hw/assignments? Roughly how many hours of class per week (BBA)?
2. Do you know if its really competitive to get a coop spot?
3. Hows the campus life there? it really lively? And may i ask how is the racial diversity there? I've heard it was around 80% Caucasian...but that's just from forums.
4. Are the rez's there decent? Easy to get to know people? Also, are there a lot of food places to eat at there? I heard the campus is pretty small in general.

Thanks!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of v70 v70
What was the cut-off last year for admission to BBA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LXY LXY
I am a first year double degree student, so I can try to answer some of your questions:

1. Business courses in my opinion are pretty awesome. There are not weekly assignments(like you would get from your other degree), but there are larger projects (which you would get longer periods to do. There is a main one in first year which you pretty much plan out the creation of a new venture). Each class has about 3 hours. You have five classes per term. That leads to 15 hours of lectures. However, certain classes may have labs/tutorials. I'm not sure whether you applied to the double degree with waterloo or the dual degrees both at laurier, but on the waterloo side you can expect 3 more hours distributed amongst labs/tutorials. If you are taking the laurier-laurier dual degree, then you'd have a few more a believe, so upwards to 20 hours of class/tutorial time.

2. It is competitive to get a co-op spot. Mind you, the double degree programs are guaranteed co-op.

3. Campus life at laurier is significantly more lively than at waterloo. Laurier is much more caucasian than Waterloo, but you see a fair share of any race. There would be no reason for you to feel out of place.

4. Rezs at Laurier are pretty decent(from what I hear. I'm on the waterloo side). The campus is small, but you'll always find a place for food. It's smaller because there is less space between buildings. It is generally pretty compact.

To v70:
the cutoff was somewhere in the 87s. It may have been as high as 88.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SheldonCooper SheldonCooper
What is the cutoff for laurier dual degree financial math/ business?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Colintoto0 wrote
Hey, so i applied for a double degree at laurier as my second choice and hopefully i get in. My questions are:
1. How are the business courses there? Does it require a lot of time for hw/assignments? Roughly how many hours of class per week (BBA)?
3. Hows the campus life there? it really lively? And may i ask how is the racial diversity there? I've heard it was around 80% Caucasian...but that's just from forums.
4. Are the rez's there decent? Easy to get to know people? Also, are there a lot of food places to eat at there? I heard the campus is pretty small in general.

Thanks!

1. You only have one business course each semester, the lecture takes up 3 hours a week. You also must sign up for a lab that you MUST attend and takes up another 1.5 hour each week. There aren't really assignments to do but there is a lot of group work (cases and New Venture - a first year competition) that takes up a lot of time as the due dates approach.

2. Co-op starts second year and I've heard different things. I think if you have a competitive GPA and some decent EC's, you should be fine. If you don't get into co-op it's not the end of the world. This years student of the year was not in co-op.

3. As for campus life, it really wasn't as lively as I expected. I was expecting to go to parties every weekend night but that wasn't the case. The dons are pretty strict for underage drinking too. However it's still pretty fun to just drink with your floormates and see what the night has in store. If your 19 though it is a lot better as you can go to bars. However there is a lot of thing to do and clubs to join. There are plenty of intramurals and it's quite easy to get involved. Id say 80% caucasion sounds about right.

4. I live in a dorm and it's pretty nice. I only share a bathroom with one other person which is great. Another positive thing is I can pretty much walk anywhere on campus in less than 5 minutes. However if you get an apartment style, you could end up pretty far awar. The food though is pretty bad. There isn't a lot of options and if you live in dorm your forced to buy a meal plan. The worst part about the food was both wilfs (the on campus restaurant) and the terrace (fast food places) both closed down multiple times this semester due to mold, water leakages, failing food inspections, etc. so it really limited your options.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@v70 wrote
What was the cut-off last year for admission to BBA?

I had an 89. I believe the cutoff was about an 86%. If you fill out an ABS you still will have a shot though at about an 83%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz

@Smothy88 wrote

@Colintoto0 wrote

Thanks!

1. You only have one business course each semester, the lecture takes up 3 hours a week. You also must sign up for a lab that you MUST attend and takes up another 1.5 hour each week. There aren't really assignments to do but there is a lot of group work (cases and New Venture - a first year competition) that takes up a lot of time as the due dates approach.

2. Co-op starts second year and I've heard different things. I think if you have a competitive GPA and some decent EC's, you should be fine. If you don't get into co-op it's not the end of the world. This years student of the year was not in co-op.

3. As for campus life, it really wasn't as lively as I expected. I was expecting to go to parties every weekend night but that wasn't the case. The dons are pretty strict for underage drinking too. However it's still pretty fun to just drink with your floormates and see what the night has in store. If your 19 though it is a lot better as you can go to bars. However there is a lot of thing to do and clubs to join. There are plenty of intramurals and it's quite easy to get involved. Id say 80% caucasion sounds about right.

4. I live in a dorm and it's pretty nice. I only share a bathroom with one other person which is great. Another positive thing is I can pretty much walk anywhere on campus in less than 5 minutes. However if you get an apartment style, you could end up pretty far awar. The food though is pretty bad. There isn't a lot of options and if you live in dorm your forced to buy a meal plan. The worst part about the food was both wilfs (the on campus restaurant) and the terrace (fast food places) both closed down multiple times this semester due to mold, water leakages, failing food inspections, etc. so it really limited your options.

RE 2: a B+ with strong ECs and a + interview will get you in, or an A- with decent ECS will get you in

RE 3: Depends on your don really. The policy for mine was "if you don't make it a problem, it isnt" So as long as your music wasn't super loud, or you could smell the alcohol from the hallway you're fine. And off campus parties are where it's at.

RE 4: WLU food is horrible - although I don't think there were any failed food inspections. What happened this year was there was a burst sewage pipe in Wilfs over night. It flooded the whole kitchen, along with the Terrace (right below it). The terrace was closed for a while and Wilfs is still closed. Later on while checking on the status of the leak, they discovered mold. And thats that.
Last year there were 0 problems with Wilfs/Terrace, so Im assuming this is a onetime thing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BOSS10 BOSS10
Hey, laurier right now is my second option, first being Waterloo's AFM. If i did go to laurier, i would major in an accounting stream or finance if anything. Can you please tell me how exactly the coop works ? Would it be easy to get coop placements that satisfy the accounting or finance stream? For Waterloo for example, theres a variety of jobs and everyone applies to them so everyone has an equal chance. For Laurier BBA, are there like a variety of jobs, and whichever one applies to your major you apply to? I am only taking laurier as an option for the coop, however i never understoof how exactly it works. Could somebody please break down the whole process of being eligible, applying and finally taking job offers?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BOSS10 wrote
Hey, laurier right now is my second option, first being Waterloo's AFM. If i did go to laurier, i would major in an accounting stream or finance if anything. Can you please tell me how exactly the coop works ? Would it be easy to get coop placements that satisfy the accounting or finance stream? For Waterloo for example, theres a variety of jobs and everyone applies to them so everyone has an equal chance. For Laurier BBA, are there like a variety of jobs, and whichever one applies to your major you apply to? I am only taking laurier as an option for the coop, however i never understoof how exactly it works. Could somebody please break down the whole process of being eligible, applying and finally taking job offers?

Step 1: Achieve a high GPA first year, get work experience, do EC's, and work on your interviewing skills.

Step 2: Apply for co-op. Interviews take place early second year. If you have completed step one you should get accepted.

Step 3: Once accepted into co-op it's pretty much up to you to find a job. I believe Laurier offers a list of places hiring and you could send in a resume to places of interest. If they like your resume, they'll schedule you for an interview and I think they rank the students they would like to have most. If your ranked high, you may get hired.

I think it is a lot easier to get a co-op placement in accounting over finance. I've heard finance interviews are a lot tougher, their are fewer spots and you have a lot of competition coming from Ivey and Queens as they will be apply for internships. Also co-op placements aren't only in Waterloo, you can get a placement in the GTA or even western Canada (I believe). It all just depends on where you apply.

Also one of the main benefits of co-op is you can work a variety of jobs. You can do one term in marketing, one in accounting, and one in finance. You aren't committed to one company or field. However if your looking to get your CA, it would probably be best to do all your placements at an accredited firm to build your hours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Smothy88 wrote
Step 3: Once accepted into co-op it's pretty much up to you to find a job. I believe Laurier offers a list of places hiring and you could send in a resume to places of interest. If they like your resume, they'll schedule you for an interview and I think they rank the students they would like to have most. If your ranked high, you may get hired.

I think it is a lot easier to get a co-op placement in accounting over finance. I've heard finance interviews are a lot tougher, their are fewer spots and you have a lot of competition coming from Ivey and Queens as they will be apply for internships. Also co-op placements aren't only in Waterloo, you can get a placement in the GTA or even western Canada (I believe). It all just depends on where you apply.

Also one of the main benefits of co-op is you can work a variety of jobs. You can do one term in marketing, one in accounting, and one in finance. You aren't committed to one company or field. However if your looking to get your CA, it would probably be best to do all your placements at an accredited firm to build your hours.

Just thought I'd add:

Laurier's co-op requires you to rank employers and employers to rank you. The lowest differences in rankings get hired. It's something that you will have to go through to fully learn. I just know bits and pieces from people who have gone through. I also believe that you find out what the employer rankings are before you get to choose (not 100% sure).

Laurier is much more well-known for its accounting versus its finance. More accounting employers will recruit from Laurier. Finance jobs will be slightly harder, and if you're looking at the big Bay/Wall Street gigs, good luck. There often won't get competition from other schools, as QC/Ivey/Schulich etc. students all get summers off, whereas 2/4 of your breaks/co-op terms will not be in the summer, but that doesn't mean it's easier for you to land finance jobs really.

The main locations for co-op are (I believe in order) GTA, K-W, Ottawa, the rest of Ontario and then Western Canada (I lost the actual percentages).

As for your last point, while that works in theory, many employers won't hire you for an accounting job if you're taking marketing courses, and vice versa. It works better to try, say, medium-sized accounting firm (audit), medium-sized firm (tax), small-sized firm (everything) over your three terms. It would be very hard to go accounting then finance then marketing. Accounting and finance would be easier to switch between though (more related content).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kwill Kwill
I am applying to WLU BBA this year, do you need to fill out ABS in order to be accepted into the program? If i am applying without ABS what average do i need?
Thank You:!:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jurier90 jurier90
Can we get co-op in a firm located outside Canada like in Europe? (I live in france so it would be nice to find something there).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Kwill wrote
I am applying to WLU BBA this year, do you need to fill out ABS in order to be accepted into the program? If i am applying without ABS what average do i need?
Thank You:!:

No you dont need to but you should. Can't hurt you, and its only like 3 pages long.

If you have an 87+ you should be safe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jurier90 wrote
Can we get co-op in a firm located outside Canada like in Europe? (I live in france so it would be nice to find something there).

You'd have to find it yourself.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Terrios Terrios

@jurier90 wrote

I remember seeing a banking position for places like France, Germany and London. Not sure if anyone from Laurier got those jobs however.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Terrios wrote

@jurier90 wrote

I remember seeing a banking position for places like France, Germany and London. Not sure if anyone from Laurier got those jobs however.

Oh yeah I remember those too. There were supposed to be like 5 Manulife jobs for Tokyo but they never ended up getting posted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0