yconic - Ask a Guelph Commerce Student
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ask a Guelph Commerce Student

A photo of leafsforever leafsforever
Alright guelph doesn't get talked about nearly enough on here. So if you have any questions go right ahead, and i will do my best to answer them for you. Just keep it related to the business program, since there are already quite a few threads about guelph life/rez on here that depict it accurately.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of Kamil94 Kamil94
Great... i needed some answers!!
1st of all...
which program are you in... in the accounting or the Management economics and finance?
i took M.E.F cuz it has coop option and i can still become a CA or something on the lines of a CA.
Is the Coop placement good?
do you have coop?
if you do how much do u get paid?
where did you work?
Is it difficult to get into the MEF coop program with an 80%? or will i be considered for the normal MEF without coop?
when should i expect my acceptance with marks such as...
english-82%
accounting-83%
function-67%(repeating it currently)
Food and Nutrition-90%
Business-87%
Calculus-78%
Repeated Function-85%
an estimated avg excluding 1st attempt functions is..84.16 or lower.....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of honourstudent101 honourstudent101
Just got Accepted to Guelph :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Im in marketing so i cant help you out to much with mef. But i know you can take marketing and use your electives to complete accounting courses that would count towards a cma designation. Co-Op depends upon how employable you are(grades, personality etc.) but overall they are pretty good. Dont expect to be hired by investment banks, or consulting firms but you can definitely get placements at large corporations. Students get paid anywhere from 550 a week up to 850 a week. I think at an 80 you will get accepted without co-op, but if you have good grades in first year you can apply for it then. I think around an 83+ is what is needed for co-op but i'm sure it varies year to year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of honourstudent101 honourstudent101
hey leafsforever, thanks for replying in the other thread I just have a few more questions:
1. What were your marks in grade 12?
2.Does taking Calculus Help?
3. What are some electives that are good to take 1st year?

Thanks in advance :alien:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

1. midterm average around an 85 with math marks in the mid 70's
2. I would say calc is necesary for finance since you will be taking a few math classes Otherwise it slightly helpful in math 1030 which would be all review, but that course isn't to hard without calc
3. Depends intro to computers courses are easy, so are some poli sci. Check out the facebook group "must knows for each course @ university of guelph" if you want to find out specifics
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ohayitsyou ohayitsyou
For the Guelph Commerce courses, is it just a bunch of theory that we learn, memorize and get tested on, or do you guys do case studies and try to relate it to real-life situations as much as possible?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

mostly theory with some case studies
Was this helpful? Yes 0

mostly theory with some case studies
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kamil94 Kamil94
Whats better Management Economics & finance Vs Accounting????
aren't they both accredited with ICAO....? MEF also has some aspects of accounting to it aswell..
The only winner i see is MEF because of its Coop...
and also if i want to become a CA then i could do it from either program...
soo whats the deal with that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@Kamil94 wrote
Whats better Management Economics & finance Vs Accounting????
aren't they both accredited with ICAO....? MEF also has some aspects of accounting to it aswell..
The only winner i see is MEF because of its Coop...
and also if i want to become a CA then i could do it from either program...
soo whats the deal with that?

My friend applied last year as a back-up. He said that the program director told him he could do MEF and be in the co-op program, while still taking all of the accounting courses. So it is possible- I would suggest talking to an academic advisor at Guelph about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

if you want ca take accounting. finance wont allow you to get all 51 hours. if you want cma finance/marketing or accounting will work
Was this helpful? Yes 0