yconic - Ask a Queen's Commerce Student!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ask a Queen's Commerce Student!

A photo of QueensCommerceTyler QueensCommerceTyler
Hey Everyone,

My name is Tyler and I am in my second year of Queen's Commerce. I know a lot of you probably have a lot of questions so, to help stop any spread of misinformation, you can ask me.

I'm part of a student committee at Queen's that liaises with high-school students (at OUF, open houses, online, etc.), so I am a reliable information source. I may not have all the statistics you may want, but I have a deep understanding of the Commerce program at Queen's.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or PM me. I am in mid-terms, so I may be a bit slow to respond, but I'll try to get back to you within a day.

Cheers,
~Tyler
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of LivingTheLife LivingTheLife
Hey Im a grade 11 student with a low 90s average and very little volunteer experience. I plan on starting a organization in my school later this year, I was wondering if there is a certain type of EC that the school looks highly upon? Such as sports teams, volunteering, club members etc..

Also, outside of the academics.. are the commerce students a good time? Like to party?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

There's no magic extra-curricular that admissions is looking for, but its always good to show leadership as well as a well-rounded mix of ECs (for example, not just sports or just academic associations).

In terms of culture, Commerce students work hard but also have a lot of fun. There are even events (from conferences to parties) put on by student-run organizations in the program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LivingTheLife LivingTheLife
Thanks my ECs are currently:

150 hours community service
Refereeing minor hockey
Working maintenance at a trailer park :p
coaching a grade 6 basketball team
Plan on starting an organization that helps students prepare for uni
school golf team member
local high level hockey team

My highschool did not prepare any of its students for university, I had no idea that you needed EC's for university because no one had told us. It wasn't until this year when i began to research universities that i realized i have to do this. So that is why I want to start this organization.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014
How did QCIA go
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CMA2014 wrote
How did QCIA go

Haha. I don't know who this is :P I think it went over well...we'll see in a couple of days.

I love how if you Google "Canada's Premier Business School" the first page is this one: http://business.queensu.ca/about_us/index.php.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Paaek Paaek
Hello, I am a grade 12 student wanting to get into the queens commerce. Do you know if commerce is accepting more people this year? and what average do you feel is a fair estimate to get in with a fair essay and extra curriculars? thank you so much
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Historically the cutoff has been around an 87, but beyond that point Queen's doesn't look at your mark (i.e. an 87 is just as good as a 97) and all that matters are your ECs. If you're below the 87 though, I still recommend applying as the cutoff changes from year to year.

This year we're accepting around 450 students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz

@QueensCommerceTyler wrote

I love how if you Google "Canada's Premier Business School" the first page is this one: http://business.queensu.ca/about_us/index.php.

Thats because Queens' uses it as a slogan, where as other schools do not. It's like googling "everything you discover belongs to you" which is UW's slogan, and being surprised that the first results is Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joylol joylol
Hey, I heard that workload at Queen's Commerce is more intensive than other universities. Is it true? Thanks! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@joylol wrote
Hey, I heard that workload at Queen's Commerce is more intensive than other universities. Is it true? Thanks! :)

I can't speak specifically to other schools (I only really know the workload at Queen's), but there is definitely a lot of outside-of-class work. In first year, you'd only have about 16 hours of class per week, but between readings, practice problems, and group meetings, there's about another 16 weekly hours.

Some students get overwhelmed, but those who manage their time well end up with a lot of free time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz

In first year, you'd only have about 16 hours of class per week, but between readings, practice problems, and group meetings, there's about another 16 weekly hours.

Seriously? 32 hours of school a week? Either you can't do math, can't keep track of time, or are failing miserably. Even arts kids do more then 32 hours of school a week.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joylol joylol

@joylol wrote

I can't speak specifically to other schools (I only really know the workload at Queen's), but there is definitely a lot of outside-of-class work. In first year, you'd only have about 16 hours of class per week, but between readings, practice problems, and group meetings, there's about another 16 weekly hours.

Some students get overwhelmed, but those who manage their time well end up with a lot of free time.

Thanks! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ren416 Ren416
Hey does anyone know when the Queen's supplementary essays are coming out?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
School nominated me for Chancellor's and was wondering if it was true that your chances of getting into Queen's is significantly higher?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014

@cliffhanger33 wrote
School nominated me for Chancellor's and was wondering if it was true that your chances of getting into Queen's is significantly higher?

guaranteed admission if your transcript average is above program requirement (i.e. 87%)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ren416 Ren416
wait, if my school nominates me for chancellor's schosolarship at Queens, and my top 6 is an 87+ then I am guaranteed a spot at Queens Commerce?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey, Queen's commerce is my first choice for university next year. I am wondering about the amount of group work that is involved in the courses. I heard that there is a lot. Also I heard that there is not a lot of time to meet with people and it can be very hard to get things done. What's your opinion on this???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kls55 wrote
Hey, Queen's commerce is my first choice for university next year. I am wondering about the amount of group work that is involved in the courses. I heard that there is a lot. Also I heard that there is not a lot of time to meet with people and it can be very hard to get things done. What's your opinion on this???

Good to hear you're thinking of Queen's Commerce!

What you've heard about group work is very true. Every course has some element of group work, whether it be just for problem sets, presentations, or business simulations.

Personally, I'm a big fan of this (and not just because I'm plugging the school). Since many groups in the first two years are randomly assigned, you get to meet a ton of new people. Some of my close friends now I met through group work. It really contributes to the community feel of the program. Although it can be difficult sometimes to get everyone out to every meeting, it forces you to be more organized. As well, group work is a reality of most jobs in business. Commerce gives you a lot of experience in team management.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@kls55 wrote

Good to hear you're thinking of Queen's Commerce!

What you've heard about group work is very true. Every course has some element of group work, whether it be just for problem sets, presentations, or business simulations.

Personally, I'm a big fan of this (and not just because I'm plugging the school). Since many groups in the first two years are randomly assigned, you get to meet a ton of new people. Some of my close friends now I met through group work. It really contributes to the community feel of the program. Although it can be difficult sometimes to get everyone out to every meeting, it forces you to be more organized. As well, group work is a reality of most jobs in business. Commerce gives you a lot of experience in team management.

Thanks for the response it was very helpful :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Do you have any idea how the transfer process works between universities? :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I don't know too much about the transfer process, so specific questions should be directed at the program's admissions office. I do know that it is generally difficult to transfer into Commerce. The number of transfer spots is limited to the number of people who leave after first year. So if 10 people leave after first-year, there are 10 open spots for transfers. The number of students that leave is generally low (10-20), but if you are doing well in first-year and really want to apply, definitely reach out to admissions asap.

Transfers go on a fast-track to complete their degree in three years (so they can still graduate when they intended). With a combination of a slightly increased workload and fewer required Arts and Sciences credits (as these were likely taken in a transfers first year), they can still graduate with their year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ad23 ad23
Hi, I was just wondering what my chances for acceptance are?
My average right now is sitting at 88% and I know I can bump it up to 90%

My EC's are:
- 100 + community service hours
- Certified Gymnastics Instructor (2008-Present)
- President of School Environmental Club
- Executive Financial Member of School Newspaper
- Member of the Aboriginal Affairs Club
- Member of the Cookies for Cure Club
- Member of Social Action Club
- School Rugby Team
- School Soccer Team
- Former Provincial Gymnast
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You definitely have impressive ECs and a 90 average will put you above the cutoff, but that doesn't guarantee admission by any means. A lot of it has to do with how you apply your ECs to abstract concepts such as leadership or teamwork (or whatever the PSE/SE questions will ask).

It is very difficult to tell someone their chances of getting in because a lot of it weighs on how your application is written.
Was this helpful? Yes 0