yconic - Ask a UWO Ivey AEO1 student.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ask a UWO Ivey AEO1 student.

A photo of BuffaloSoulja BuffaloSoulja
Was this helpful? Yes 0
33 replies

A photo of prefontaine prefontaine
How well prepared do you feel for a summer internship after only one year studying business?

Do you think the prospects fully justify the cost related to Ivey?

How is the workload and social life within the program? How well do you (honestly) like the case study?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm not in the HBA program yet. The only business study I have done is through the Pre-business 1220 course they offer to first years.
One of my close friends is in third year right now, its very competitive and hard work. My first year in Social Science has been fairly stress free.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
What was your grade 12 average? and what's you average now?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FunnyBone FunnyBone
Do many students manage to get summer internships in their first and second year? (Before the actual Ivey program)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of scribbles scribbles
How difficult is it to maintain an 80% average during the first two years?
I currently have a low 90% average in the IB program and I'm honestly so worried about not being able to get into Ivey in third year...

And do you know anyone taking/planning on taking a dual degree? How's the work load for them?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

My average was a 92 on the dot. My average now is around 82..
Difficulty of maintaining the 80 depends on your courses you take and your time management...university gives you a lot more free time. You gotta be self-discipled enough to learn by yourself most of the time...I dont go to a lot of my classes.

Internships are probably harder to get since you arent even in business yet. I don't know much about this...but it doesn't hurt to apply, esp. if you are doing BMOS.

Dual degree...PAIN in the arse. i dont think its worth it.. look forward to not leaving your room if you pursue dual degree. I personally, would not do that to my youth :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nananami nananami
Hi! may i ask what module are you planning to go into next year?
how did people find the first year MOS courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of scribbles scribbles
Hahaha, understandable that a dual degree would be an unbelievable amount of work, but by not pursuing a dual degree, don't your first two years at UWO seem a bit of a waste of time? The courses you take in 1st and 2nd year would be interesting to study, but they would ultimately neither enhance your understanding of business, nor offer you a more competitive edge in terms of jobs when compared to a bachelor's degree in that area of study...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BuffaloSoulja wrote
My average was a 92 on the dot. My average now is around 82..
Difficulty of maintaining the 80 depends on your courses you take and your time management...university gives you a lot more free time. You gotta be self-discipled enough to learn by yourself most of the time...I dont go to a lot of my classes.

So if you went to classes most of the time...you'd probably be able to get like 85 then or so right? I'm not a big skipper lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@scribbles
Well, i don't actually like the 2+2 method that much...you arent guaranteed a spot in Ivey and I'm learning useless stuff right now. If i got in queens I would have gone. BUT if you are willing to pursue dual degree (which is a lot of work) its definitely worth it. Haha political science won't help me at all in Ivey.

@username81
Lol depends..I'm a independent learner. Its all about managing your time well..which im not good at.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Okay, what do you suggest for either dual degree or just first 2 years:

BMOS, financial modeling or Comp Sci.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FunnyBone FunnyBone
Thanks for answering our questions.

Do you think a dual degree is beneficial in any way? Say with poli sci or economics - would it give a person an advantage when it comes to internships or recruiting?

Also, approximately how many hours a week do you devote to work? Do you have to stay up late (past 1 or 2) often?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@waazup Personally, I would pursue the Law/HBA dual degree. Takes a year out of studying :P. But very hectic. As for those three choices you listed...it should be based on your interests. I'm in political science mainly cause I get a lot of electives :P

@FunnyBone

Advantage? I think its helpful to a certain point..that you can say youre qualified in two fields rather than one. This of course is different with different employers..some couldn't care less about an arts degree along with your HBA for a business job...

I procrastinate. A lot. I haven't worked much this year...about 10 hours a week dedicated to studying...MAX. I could be doing a lot better :P...i stay up past 1 or 2 everyday :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fullforceRC fullforceRC

@BuffaloSoulja wrote
@scribbles
Well, i don't actually like the 2+2 method that much...you arent guaranteed a spot in Ivey and I'm learning useless stuff right now. If i got in queens I would have gone. BUT if you are willing to pursue dual degree (which is a lot of work) its definitely worth it. Haha political science won't help me at all in Ivey.

@username81
Lol depends..I'm a independent learner. Its all about managing your time well..which im not good at.

Did a current Ivey AEO just tell me to go elsewhere...? You seemed to have highlighted all of Ivey's weaknesses in this post lol

Can you highlight some benefits of your first year at Western? Western constantly promotes itself as having the "best student experience", what do you think? Also, an 82% average seems to be cutting it really close to the 80% requirement; do you feel extremely stressed at the moment with keeping your marks up? Or does it seem unlikely that you'd fall below an 80% with your current study habits/schedules. By chance you do fall below 80%, what are you going to do?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Haha, the student life is great man. We've got a really good selection of courses compared to a other schools. Our campus is HUGE and our school spirit is 2nd to none :P. I'm not too concerned with keeping the 80%, but its always there at your back of your mind that you dont wanna mess up. If I fall below 80...i can reapply to Ivey and they will reconsider me from there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Just wondering if you know of anyone pursuing the dual degree with engineering and business...sounds impossible :S...and if these people see the light of day? lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sincostan sincostan
Alot of people i know that are in the first 2 years of western right now say that it is a rip-off. Do you agree with this?

Also would getting a double degree in science+HBA be really hard?

Another question, should i choose between queens or ivey? i kinda wanna get a dual degree with something in science so i can fall back on that, but i reallyy like queens in general :/

Thannks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gleipnir gleipnir

@pj2121 wrote
Just wondering if you know of anyone pursuing the dual degree with engineering and business...sounds impossible :S...and if these people see the light of day? lol

+1
I'd be very interested in chatting with someone like this.

Personally, the one big reason I have for choosing Ivey is the fact that I'm sitting on the fence between business and engineering. It's really 50/50 - I will not have one without the other (at least at this point...I still have more time to decide before I accept any offers). And UWO + Ivey seem like the only engineering + business undergraduate dual degree in Canada. However, many issues have obviously been raised that are putting doubts in my mind about this.

One of the other reasons I'm choosing UWO is for vibrant student life, and the oppurtunity for me to grow as a person. However, I suppose I overlooked the fact that an engineering program will be vigorous, no matter which school it is (admist the reputable ones anyway). That being said, perhaps this will hinder the whole social life + growing as a person plan, given the intense workload? Not to mention the added difficulty of keeping that 80% average for Ivey (as well as the eventual "suicidal" workload once you do engineering AND HBA at the same time). I don't want to not end up going to Ivey, because then I could just accept my offer to McGill Engineering and focus only on that instead. Likewise, I wouldn't want to opt out of Ivey in 3rd year because of the workload from the engineering program at UWO, because then I could just accept an (pending) offer to somewhere like Queen's Commerce.

Insights? Suggestions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of booo booo

@pj2121 wrote

i got two of those on my floor rite now ~ Eng + AEO
they've got more course load, more work, but with good habits they're keepin up fine with work and social life :)

Btw for all you considering BMOS first year, its crap. Do Econ first year instead, and change to BMOS second year :) gonna make your life a lot easier with 1 extra elective instead of taking MOS.

Cheers
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IveyRecruiting2011 IveyRecruiting2011

@pj2121 wrote

It's not an easy program, neither programs on the own are even easy. One thing you'll be surprised to hear is that it's our most popular dual degree option.

If you would like me to put you in touch with one of them, send me an email at hba@ivey.ca with that request.

Cheers,

Richard
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@booo wrote

@pj2121 wrote

they've got more course load, more work, but with good habits they're keepin up fine with work and social life :)

Btw for all you considering BMOS first year, its crap. Do Econ first year instead, and change to BMOS second year :) gonna make your life a lot easier with 1 extra elective instead of taking MOS.

Cheers

I've been hearing a lot of bad things about BMOS and it's really deterring me from going to UWO as a MOS AEO... is it really that bad? I mean in MOS we have to take the 2 econ courses and then we have electives. Say my schedule for next year looks like this:

1 credit - calc/math
1 credit - microecon/macroecon
1 credit - MOS courses
1 credit - political science
1 credit - business 1220

Are those courses really going to teach me nothing by the end of it? And how hard would it be to maintain an 80% with those courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@fullforceRC wrote

@booo wrote

@pj2121 wrote

Cheers

I've been hearing a lot of bad things about BMOS and it's really deterring me from going to UWO as a MOS AEO... is it really that bad? I mean in MOS we have to take the 2 econ courses and then we have electives. Say my schedule for next year looks like this:

1 credit - calc/math
1 credit - MOS courses
1 credit - business 1220

Are those courses really going to teach me nothing by the end of it? And how hard would it be to maintain an 80% with those courses?

How can you take Econ first year and change to BMOS if you don't even have the required courses (mos courses) for the bmos modules?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@nananami wrote

@fullforceRC wrote

@booo wrote

@pj2121 wrote

Cheers

1 credit - calc/math
1 credit - MOS courses
1 credit - business 1220

How can you take Econ first year and change to BMOS if you don't even have the required courses (mos courses) for the bmos modules?

You can find the link to the bmos module in this link: http://mos.uwo.ca/NewModules/Checklists/FinanceForMOSHSP.pdf

For finance specialization, you are required to take micro/macro econ in first year
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@fullforceRC wrote

@nananami wrote

@fullforceRC wrote

@booo wrote

@pj2121 wrote

Cheers

1 credit - calc/math
1 credit - MOS courses
1 credit - business 1220

You can find the link to the bmos module in this link: http://mos.uwo.ca/NewModules/Checklists/FinanceForMOSHSP.pdf

For finance specialization, you are required to take micro/macro econ in first year

Oh noo I was actually referring to booo's post about BMOS cause I think he/she meant: do "Econ" as in Social science first year and then somehow change to BMOS second year?
haha sorry for the confusion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0