yconic - Ask an Ivey Student Anything
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ask an Ivey Student Anything

A photo of aaaaaa3 aaaaaa3
Go!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
27 replies

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
Well, since you said anything..

are you one of ivey15's accounts
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Jack555 wrote

Its sad that when an actual Ivey student comes on this board you guys don't event ask any questions. Trust me, I'm the most reliable Ivey source you guys have considering I actually go there. But, if you would rather have undergrads and high school students answer your questions be my guest.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of axiom2true axiom2true

@aaaaaa wrote

@Jack555 wrote

Its sad that when an actual Ivey student comes on this board you guys don't event ask any questions. Trust me, I'm the most reliable Ivey source you guys have considering I actually go there. But, if you would rather have undergrads and high school students answer your questions be my guest.

Alright, I'll toss one. Is the pedagogy 100% case method? If so, how much technical/fundamental grounding do you get (and of that, how much is taught by your profs)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@axiom2true wrote

@aaaaaa wrote

@Jack555 wrote

Alright, I'll toss one. Is the pedagogy 100% case method? If so, how much technical/fundamental grounding do you get (and of that, how much is taught by your profs)?

Yes, everything is taught via the case method. However, you will still learn the technical aspects and will just have to apply them to the cases. This is all done by the profs. The techinal foundation you end up with is pretty solid.

Regardless, if you aspire for a job interview in finance you still have to do technical prep regardless of where you go to school and this is done on your own time and is not necesarily relevant to the material taught in class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lmao lmao
Is it easy to maintain AEO status from your experience and from the others? What did you do in the first two years of AEO? Which would you say is a better undergrad option Econ or BMOS? You mind me asking how much money does it cost for Ivey exactly to the dollar? This includes residence, books, tuition and etc.(not recreational stuff)?

What would you like to do after Ivey? Would you say Ivey is only worth it if you want to do Investment Banking and Mgmt. Consulting?

So many questions.. lol I'm going to stop there and see what you say first. Thanks a lot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thanatos1990 thanatos1990
my situation is im in first year of univ I got
3.7overall gpa out of 4.3
full mark in both math and econ courses.
4 months full-time work experience in Securities company during summer break, but not in canada. and little volunteer experience,
what is my chance transfer into ivey when i finished 2 years of study

what should I do to enhance my competitiveness except the gpa..i really can not go above 3.7 .
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@lmao wrote
Is it easy to maintain AEO status from your experience and from the others? What did you do in the first two years of AEO? Which would you say is a better undergrad option Econ or BMOS? You mind me asking how much money does it cost for Ivey exactly to the dollar? This includes residence, books, tuition and etc.(not recreational stuff)?

I would like to know your response to these questions as well...
Is it really difficult to maintain AEO status?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lmao wrote

What would you like to do after Ivey? Would you say Ivey is only worth it if you want to do Investment Banking and Mgmt. Consulting?

So many questions.. lol I'm going to stop there and see what you say first. Thanks a lot.

In my experience almost everyone with AEO managed to maintain the 80% to get into Ivey. I did BMOS my first two years. Probably the Econ because you have the opportunity to do a double degree, however I don't see much value in an Econ/BMOS double degree anyways. Take what you think you will enjoy most your first two years.

As far as tuition goes what most of you fail to understand is yes tuition is 20k but Ivey gives over two million in bursaries every year. A lot of people got anywhere from a few to ten thousand of dollars just to attend. If you can't afford it Ivey will help you.

I want to do consulting. Ivey is better than any school for any business discipline in my opinion. The fact that you are forced to argue your opinion in front of 80 people every day is and invaluable skill along with the case method. Also, Ivey's career management department is huge. Ivey spends more to help you get a job then the rest of western in every program combined.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lmao wrote

In my experience almost everyone with AEO managed to maintain the 80% to get into Ivey. I did BMOS my first two years. Probably the Econ because you have the opportunity to do a double degree, however I don't see much value in an Econ/BMOS double degree anyways. Take what you think you will enjoy most your first two years.

As far as tuition goes what most of you fail to understand is yes tuition is 20k but Ivey gives over two million in bursaries every year. A lot of people got anywhere from a few to ten thousand of dollars just to attend. If you can't afford it Ivey will help you.

I want to do consulting. Ivey is better than any school for any business discipline in my opinion. The fact that you are forced to argue your opinion in front of 80 people every day is and invaluable skill along with the case method. Also, Ivey's career management department is huge. Ivey spends more to help you get a job then the rest of western in every program combined.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@thanatos1990 wrote
my situation is im in first year of univ I got
3.7overall gpa out of 4.3
full mark in both math and econ courses.
4 months full-time work experience in Securities company during summer break, but not in canada. and little volunteer experience,
what is my chance transfer into ivey when i finished 2 years of study

what should I do to enhance my competitiveness except the gpa..i really can not go above 3.7 .

Umm assuming your GPA translates to roughly a low 80 I'd say you have decent chances. Keep your marks up and try to get some extra cirricular experiences. Just showing them that securities job might not cut it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ecabby ecabby
How is the girl to guy ratio at Ivey? Relatively equal? Also do you find that there is a lot of competition between the students (well obviously there would be) but to what extent?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thekidnextdoor thekidnextdoor
Okay, here we go:
1. How many companies from Wall Street come to Ivey to recruit?
2. How many people who graduate from Ivey go work at Wall Street every year?
3. I'm planning on doing BMOS for the first 2 years, so do you have any tips on finding a good summer internship then (e.x. Big Four, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ecabby wrote
How is the girl to guy ratio at Ivey? Relatively equal? Also do you find that there is a lot of competition between the students (well obviously there would be) but to what extent?

The girl to guy ratio in Ivey is pretty equal I'd say. Competition is probably the greatest in the first four months of school (the marks that matter for interviews) and then its kind of still alive in January during recruiting and then dies down after that. Even with the competition, its mostly a friendly atmosphere and it doesnt really affect relationships in the class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@thekidnextdoor wrote
Okay, here we go:
1. How many companies from Wall Street come to Ivey to recruit?
2. How many people who graduate from Ivey go work at Wall Street every year?
3. I'm planning on doing BMOS for the first 2 years, so do you have any tips on finding a good summer internship then (e.x. Big Four, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley)?

So for question 1 and 2 I really have no idea as there are no stats. But I personally know people who have been hired at GS, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse etc. If you want my advice for what I assume is in I-banking career I'd say network before you even get into Ivey, work your ass off the first four months of school because you need to be in top 10% to get an interview and then make sure you prep technicals before that. However, if you are still in high school the only thing I would worry about would be a little bit of networking.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aaaaaa wrote

@ecabby wrote

The girl to guy ratio in Ivey is pretty equal I'd say. Competition is probably the greatest in the first four months of school (the marks that matter for interviews) and then its kind of still alive in January during recruiting and then dies down after that. Even with the competition, its mostly a friendly atmosphere and it doesnt really affect relationships in the class.

So are you saying that year 1 of HBA marks matter the most?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@heesoup wrote

@aaaaaa wrote

@ecabby wrote

For summer internships the first term of HBA1 is most important as that is all they can see. And for full-time, all of HBA1 is taken into account. But the thing is, if you manage to get a good summer placement full-time comes a lot easier and your marks don't matter as much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aaaaaa wrote

@heesoup wrote

@aaaaaa wrote

@ecabby wrote

For summer internships the first term of HBA1 is most important as that is all they can see. And for full-time, all of HBA1 is taken into account. But the thing is, if you manage to get a good summer placement full-time comes a lot easier and your marks don't matter as much.

Oh I see! Thank you for your insight!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Which other programs did you apply to? What pushed you towards selecting Western/Ivey?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@onlymatthew wrote
Which other programs did you apply to? What pushed you towards selecting Western/Ivey?

I applied to waterloo, schulich, mac, ryerson, western and laurier. I got into all of them except waterloo because I skipped the afmaa.

The aspect that pushed me towards western was my belief that there was no better program for business. Also, I really enjoyed the Western campus when I went to visit. My logic was that the quality of students in the program has to be better because they take high performing university students and not high performing high school students. Also, I looked at why Western charges 20k for university. The reason I found was that because they rejected government funding, they have the opportunity to get more revenue by setting their own tuition rates. More money spent on you=greater quality of education.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@aaaaaa wrote

I applied to waterloo, schulich, mac, ryerson, western and laurier. I got into all of them except waterloo because I skipped the afmaa.

Oh haha, I was expecting you to have applied to Queen's Commerce, because the two programs get compared quite frequently. Does the fact that Ivey itself is only a two year program worry you? In that sense, it's unlike any other program I can think of, and I'm a bit skeptical because of that
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@onlymatthew wrote

@aaaaaa wrote

Oh haha, I was expecting you to have applied to Queen's Commerce, because the two programs get compared quite frequently. Does the fact that Ivey itself is only a two year program worry you? In that sense, it's unlike any other program I can think of, and I'm a bit skeptical because of that

Nope, I never took calculus in high school so I couldn't apply. And no it doesn't worry me at all. Ivey is an intensive program, you do a lot more work than in a regular program. After 4 years if you compare yourself with a typical 4 year undergrad you will be just as prepared if not better prepared for the real world.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ecabby ecabby
How much math knowledge do you find is needed for Ivey, are there any mandatory math/accounting courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0