yconic - Ask questions about Schulich iBBA, Ivey, Rotman, Desautels
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ask questions about Schulich iBBA, Ivey, Rotman, Desautels

A photo of sskim15 sskim15
Hi, I'm a first year schulich iBBA student and was accepted to this program, Ivey school of business at Western, Rotman school of commerce at U of T, and Desautels at Mcgill. If you have any questions about these, especially life at schulich, shoot awayyy! :)

Edit: I'll try to answer all questions as soon as possible, especially around December-January for application questions. So don't be scared to ask! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0
29 replies

A photo of amyscherios amyscherios
Hi, what made you choose Schulich ibba over the other programs? what is the difficulty level to enter Schulich? Thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hi! I'm so glad you asked :)

Schulich iBBA is an one of its kind, a program that incorporates international perspective into all fields of business. It sends you on exchanges, makes you learn a language (or improve on a foreign language you already know)and if you don't like these things, then I would suggest you to apply to other institutions. But if you love travelling, being in a small program (only 100 people are accepted), and learning business straight from first year, then by all means apply! :D

Ivey is an amazing school, no doubt there but it was just too expensive for me haha and Rotman is a great program too, but it is not as carefully developed as the two others since it was made pretty recent (in 2004). Also it's really hard to drop out of schulich, while the drop out rate for rotman is much higher.

Difficulty level wise-- you got to have a 90 average. Obviously even if you don't you might get in, but in most caes, have the 90 average or higher. Schulich looks at calc and advance functions so make sure they are good, and other than that it's pretty easy! :) Schulich DOES. and i can't emphasize this more-- THEY DO LOOK AT YOUR SUPPLEMENTARY APPLICATION. They might not read every word but they do see them all so make sure it's neatly formatted, typed, and organized.

If you have any other questions, shoot awaaay :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
Just curious, what was your average when you applied for Rotman and Desautels and when did u receive the admission offer? Is there early admission available?

Also I think there's no essays required for Mcgill, but there's one for Rotman, is that right? What did you have to write about and was it weighted heavier than your admission averages?

Cheers!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Just wanted to add something on to sskim15's answer because I really think Schulich is better than the other schools :P
Yes, Ivey is an amazing school, but:
-I felt like the first two years are a waste since you're not learning any business, which makes it very difficult to find internships and jobs in business
-four years' worth of knowledge is crammed into two years, so if you miss any part of it (ie. go on exchange or something), you would miss a lot of content
-tuition: 21k per year, compared to Schulich's 7k per year (and there's also the 8k entrance scholarship)
-rankings: Schulich's recent rankings have been much better than Ivey and Rotman (of course, this isn't too reliable depending on the criteria for the rankings)
And compared to Rotman:
-Schulich is a much much much smaller program
-Schulich has more prestige and instant brand recognition
-Schulich's tuition is much cheaper as well; Rotman goes well above 10k+ after first year

Joshki, Rotman has early admission in January/Feb ish, if I remember correctly. Their supplementary is a joke though, compared to other schools. I doubt they consider it seriously.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki

@aeryn wrote
Just wanted to add something on to sskim15's answer because I really think Schulich is better than the other schools :P
Yes, Ivey is an amazing school, but:
-I felt like the first two years are a waste since you're not learning any business, which makes it very difficult to find internships and jobs in business
-four years' worth of knowledge is crammed into two years, so if you miss any part of it (ie. go on exchange or something), you would miss a lot of content
-tuition: 21k per year, compared to Schulich's 7k per year (and there's also the 8k entrance scholarship)
-rankings: Schulich's recent rankings have been much better than Ivey and Rotman (of course, this isn't too reliable depending on the criteria for the rankings)
And compared to Rotman:
-Schulich is a much much much smaller program
-Schulich has more prestige and instant brand recognition
-Schulich's tuition is much cheaper as well; Rotman goes well above 10k+ after first year

Joshki, Rotman has early admission in January/Feb ish, if I remember correctly. Their supplementary is a joke though, compared to other schools. I doubt they consider it seriously.

Do you need to have a lot of ECs? and what about Desautels, when does it send out offers?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
For Rotman? You just need to have some EC's that you can bs about in your supplementary. You don't need stellar EC's. From what I remember, it was really short; I did it on the spot without proofreading or planning or anything. The deadline is also a lot later than any other program, so by then, you've done all your supplementaries for other programs, and you realize how extensive they are compared to Rotman's supp.

For Desautels: (I found this on http://www.mcgill.ca/applying/decision/ but this is last year's info)
March 1 - April 15, 2011
early admission decisions to selected candidates.
May 13 - May 20, 2011
admission decisions to all other candidates.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
Thanks for the info aeryn!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CityBoy CityBoy
Why not ask about Queen's Commerce? Probably cuz you didn't get in ahahhaha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Joshki-- The thing about Rotman is that although it's average cutoff is said to be 85, they didn't accept people with 95+ averages. So, I'm guessing they are looking for something special? The essay is not hard, only 400 words long if i remember correctly but just make sure to get it reviewed! :) Desautels does not require an application but their average cutoff was 92 last year so all they are really looking for are marks, since that's all they see. Desautels DOES have a international exchange with the Wharton school of business, so if that interest you, apply!

@AERYN CLASS OF 2015 HOLLA ;)

@CityBoy I didn't apply to Queens. Thanks for asking!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of aeryn aeryn
YEEEE (: shoelick<3

Oh and CityBoy, speak for yourself. Please don't assume things about others. Queen's wasn't the right program for me, so I didn't even apply. The same probably goes for sskim15. There's a reason why we're in iBBA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Joshki Joshki

@sskim15 wrote
@Joshki-- The thing about Rotman is that although it's average cutoff is said to be 85, they didn't accept people with 95+ averages. So, I'm guessing they are looking for something special? The essay is not hard, only 400 words long if i remember correctly but just make sure to get it reviewed! :) Desautels does not require an application but their average cutoff was 92 last year so all they are really looking for are marks, since that's all they see. Desautels DOES have a international exchange with the Wharton school of business, so if that interest you, apply!

@AERYN CLASS OF 2015 HOLLA ;)

@CityBoy I didn't apply to Queens. Thanks for asking!

QIth wharton?! srsly? do you have a site that I can look it up? Is it available for undergrad?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

http://www.mcgill.ca/students/international/studyabroad/partners/

Yes, it is available for undergrads, so I suggest you look into it if it interests you. There are other interesting facts about Desautels, such as how you can specialize in international business. Researching is part of the experience :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
DAMN! thats awesome eh, hopefully i can get in!
thanks again for the info ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
Yo CountryBoy gtfo!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of student532 student532
does mcgill look at your top 5 OR top 6 grade 12 marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of loohopefull94 loohopefull94
Is it true that york is a complete commuter school and its an extension of high school, also what were your marks/ec and how important are good ecs
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Yes, York is a commuter school, but I don't think you'll have to worry about that. I was wondering about that too but after school started, I've been pleasantly surprised. The Schulich community is very tight-knit, and everyone I've met has been amazing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@student532 wrote
does mcgill look at your top 5 OR top 6 grade 12 marks?

Mcgill looks at your top 6 marks, while not looking at your advanced functions, it does look at calculus. [but you should really check this out for yourself because i am apparently unable to access mcgill's website lol and i'm not too sure. sorry!]

@loohopefull94 wrote
Is it true that york is a complete commuter school and its an extension of high school, also what were your marks/ec and how important are good ecs

York is a commuter school in some ways but schulich students only have two to three classes at york at most, so you won't feel it as much. It DOES feel like an extension of highschool due to the small class sizes, but york does give you huge classes and MGMT1000, a first year management course has about 100-150 people in one course, so not so much in those classes :)

My marks for schulich were 93.5 because i did horribly on my AF. You CAN do horrible in Advanced Functions, i can tell you that and get into schulich haha but i did get 95 in calculus and 90 in English, so that might have balanced it out. Also, I had about 13 ecs in total with external and internal club work, including JA, Toronto Orchestra, and working for the municipal government.

But the important thing to remember is that there is no strict rules to applications. I had no sports clubs nor councils in my ec, and i still got into all of those schools, so just do your best! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BigDreamer19 BigDreamer19
Hey, how doable do you think it is to triple up in math, physics and Ivey? I was thinking to really max out on math and physics during the first and second year, and possibly fifth year in case I don't finish the necessary courses to complete the majors. Then, of course, Ivey in the 3rd and 4th year. I'm a really dedicated student and prepared for the struggles of university, along with advanced physics and that stuff, but I know how glorious the outcome would be. I love physics and math, and I'd want the MBA/master's in physics option to both be there when I graduate from university. Any thoughts?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Wow, you're really must be something else to try math, physics and business! :) That's impressive. My thoughts to that are these:

1) What are your marks like? Ivey is not an easy place to get into, and the application is tedious. Not to mention, Ivey itself is a difficult school to handle. It is good to want the glorious outcome, as you say, but it is also good to be reasonable in the amount of work you put on yourself.

2) How easy do these things come to you? As in, do you need to work a lot for math, physics, and business? If you do, then I really don't recommend you taking this route. For me, business came to me naturally, so I usually spend half the amount i would spend on any other subject. But for sciences, it usually took me twice or more amount of time. You need to know what your strengths are.

3) Being in Ivey is not just about schoolwork. Being in a business school compels you to do other activities that not most majors do, such as go to conferences and networking workshops. You need to look for internships at corporations, and get into leadership roles. These are not as easy as they say, believe me. Instead of focusing on a variety, I recommend choosing two out of three.

4) Have you considered any other schools? It seems like you're pretty deadset on Ivey, which is not bad at all. It is an amazing school, but give yourself other options too. You seem like you made plans up to post-graduate studies, and that's good, but make sure that you're not closing doors

All in all, good luck! and If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! :) haha i wish i was good at physics :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@BigDreamer19 wrote
Hey, how doable do you think it is to triple up in math, physics and Ivey? I was thinking to really max out on math and physics during the first and second year, and possibly fifth year in case I don't finish the necessary courses to complete the majors. Then, of course, Ivey in the 3rd and 4th year. I'm a really dedicated student and prepared for the struggles of university, along with advanced physics and that stuff, but I know how glorious the outcome would be. I love physics and math, and I'd want the MBA/master's in physics option to both be there when I graduate from university. Any thoughts?

You won't be able to get a triple major per se, but you have some decent options.

Your best bet would be to major in theoretical physics under the branch of applied mathematics (In the faculty of science).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ah, well I'd like to think that i'm something else :P

1) My marks are pretty high. Taking into account that I take 3 sciences and 3 maths, along with english, I have about a 98+ average so far. I understand that Ivey is hard to get into, but when I spoke to a representative from that business program, we really got to talking about what I should be doing and such. She even thought I could win that Beryl Ivey full tuition award with all the info that I gave her. Still, fingers are crossed. Also, I feel as if I'm much more productive with more things to do. To be honest, I don't see work as "work" per se. To me, it's an opportunity to learn, and to better myself, and becoming more knowledgeable about the wonders that I wish to glimpse into. I hope you understand that (:

2) Not only do they come very easy to me, to an extent, I love them to death. Physics and math, like linear algebra, integrals and quantum mechanics, and the workings of accounting and such, really interest me. I don't want to close ANY doors because taking either route will hinder my conscious, feeling as if part of me was left behind. To me, business also came easily. I just cannot wait to get out and into the business world. It's rough, but I think i'll only strive in such conditions. Yet, I still want to pursue physics, as i want to become a physicist. I'm not one of those people who likes it for the praise or bragging rights; it's something that i've put some deep thought into, even preparing for subjects that'll show up on the GRE. I'm set on taking it all the way to that Physics PhD, but I would also love to take get my MBA. Ahhh, this is killing mee

3)I understand what you're trying to say here. It may conflict, as research from the physics side will take a lot of time from my schedule, and coupled with business conferences, I see the choice you'd want me to make. I'm still in the thought process of what i'm set on doing. The problem with me, however, is that I want to do it ALL. I cannot just set myself down for business or physics, or even medicine for that matter. My interests stretch out to the cosmos and back, and i'm not really at the point where I can simply choose. It's tough.

4) I've considered many. UofT is certainly in the mix, as I love their physics and math program, and the rigor of it. Waterloo was cut out since their science program isn't exactly stellar, even though they have connections with the PI. Queen's sounds nice, but the Ivey 2+2 is fantastic for me. 2 years secluded to each of my underlying interests, haha, they might as well accept me now :cheers:

Please, I don't know what to do. To be honest, if I could do it all, I would, but humans only live for so long, sadly... I'm torn. Advice? Btw, how's the workload at your program? I know that Schulich doesn't let you double major, so that was immediately out the picture :\ I'd love your input!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculated. why won't I be able to? :S I'd love to make myself as marketable as possible, but physics was my first love anyways. Still, business is something I'd want to pursue, along side theoretical physics. Ah, I just cannot choose.
Was this helpful? Yes 0