yconic - Ask your Schulich-related questions here :)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ask your Schulich-related questions here :)

A photo of aeryn aeryn
I'm a first year student in the iBBA program. If you have any questions regarding Schulich, I would be happy to answer them :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
hey aeryn i have a feeling i know you...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
maybe :o I don't think I know you though...unless your name isn't Jack?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MartinJurak MartinJurak
Is it true that Schulich only looks at marks and no EC's? Also what was the cut-off for the BBA and iBBA and are you required to know a language beforehand to get into the iBBA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@MartinJurak wrote
Is it true that Schulich only looks at marks and no EC's? Also what was the cut-off for the BBA and iBBA and are you required to know a language beforehand to get into the iBBA?

LOL hey it's Martin Jurak...we went to Bonnies together HAHAHAH
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
MartinJurak, it is definitely not true that Schulich only looks at marks. They seem to put slightly more weight on marks than schools like Queens, but great EC's are a must. Schulich claims it's 50-50 in terms of how much marks count relative to EC's, but I think it's more like 55-45, or at most 60-40. In addition, your two mandatory reference letters are all about your EC's, so make sure you have good ones.

This year, the cutoff was around 91, I believe. At frosh, we were told that our year had the highest cutoff so far.

You don't need to have any knowledge of a second language to get into the iBBA program. If you do know a bit of the language you want to study though, you'll have to do an assessment test to place you in the right course level.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote

@MartinJurak wrote

LOL hey it's Martin Jurak...we went to Bonnies together HAHAHAH

LMAO. Guess im already popular on here. Who exactly is this? You can PM me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
MartinJurak, it is definitely not true that Schulich only looks at marks. They seem to put slightly more weight on marks than schools like Queens, but great EC's are a must. Schulich claims it's 50-50 in terms of how much marks count relative to EC's, but I think it's more like 55-45, or at most 60-40. In addition, your two mandatory reference letters are all about your EC's, so make sure you have good ones.

This year, the cutoff was around 91, I believe. At frosh, we were told that our year had the highest cutoff so far.

You don't need to have any knowledge of a second language to get into the iBBA program. If you do know a bit of the language you want to study though, you'll have to do an assessment test to place you in the right course level.

Thank you so much for your insight. Yeah, A few people whome I know that got into schulich say that EC's are as emphasized as Queens or Ivey.

That cutoff is high. I was expecting 89-90 as previous years.

Is the iBBA a harder program into? It looks appealing, but im not sure if its worth taking over the BBA.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Yeah, the cutoff is a bit high, but Schulich is worth it. :)
iBBA is slightly harder to get into - there's around 90 of us this year.

What do you plan on doing in the future? It's true that iBBA isn't for everyone. If you're thinking about the language advantage and the exchange part, I know lots of BBAs taking a language and planning to go on exchange. BBA is definitely more flexible if you aren't sure what you want to do.

Personally, I liked the challenge of it. I wanted to force myself to continue language studies, and it's easier for iBBAs to go on an exchange. Plus, we don't have some of the annoying courses that the BBAs have, such as ethics or business history. In addition, lots of schools have BBA programs, but the iBBA is unique.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MonicaG MonicaG
hi~ i was wondering does Grades from previous years matter?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
What do you mean, MonicaG? Do you mean grade 11 grades? If so, I don't think grade 11 marks matter much. They might look at it for the earliest round of acceptances, but most people who get accepted that round have at least 6 grade 12 marks already.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle

@MartinJurak wrote

it is VERY true that schulich only looks at marks provided that your ec list isnt blank. They really don't care what ec's you have as long as you have some.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JonathanEtienne JonathanEtienne
Hi,

My average is only 84 but I have strong professional background and is currently in college in the province of Quebec with courses such as international business and international economy relation. Plus i fluently speak french and English both orally and by written.
I think my French and my profile in general, gives me a competitive advantage. Do you think, I should even consider Schulich or even Queens.

Regards
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Hi JonathanEtienne,

Your professional background and your fluency in French will help your application, but there is still a cutoff average for admissions. This year, it was around 91. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone under that will get in.

For Queens, their cutoff is lower. From what I understand, anyone with high 80s or above is considered. From then on, the decision is based on their supplementary application (PSE) and their extra-curricular activities.

If you can get your average up higher, definitely consider these two schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for your reply aeryn.

To better compete I have subscribed for the ETS GRE exam (aptitude). Do you think that its scores is relevant for an undergraduate program? Also, I have transferred to the most challenging and reputed college in Quebec, do you also think that Universities look where you came from because they should because im working 5x harder just to compete.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
I don't know much about admissions for out of province students, but I don't think the GRE will be taken into consideration. I tried to do a bit of research for you but I couldn't find much.
Here's the basic admission requirements for Quebec students: http://futurestudents.yorku.ca/requirements/quereq
I also found a page that says out of province students are expected to have low 90s for Schulich: http://futurestudents.yorku.ca/requirements/hs_cdn
Schulich is strict about marks, unfortunately :(

If you feel like you can get better next year, another option is the delayed entry option - stay one more year in cegep and enter Schulich in the second year of the program (I know someone who has done this). The requirements for delayed entry include:

One full-year of university study (30.00 credit hours), including Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Business and Society, Calculus and Database Applications (equivalent to York courses AP/ECON 1000 3.00, AP/ECON 1010 3.00, AP/POLS 1090 3.00, SC/MATH 1550 6.00 and SC/CSE 1520 3.00) to be completed in one Fall/Winter session
Overall Grade Point Average of at least 8.0 (A)
http://www.schulich.yorku.ca/client/schulich/Schulich_LP4W_LND_WebStation.nsf/page/Admission+Information?OpenDocument

I wish I could answer your questions better, but I really don't know much about applying from Quebec. As far as I know, there aren't any Schulich students from Quebec in my year. I think you should contact York University and ask them specifically.

As for challenging schools, I had the same question when I was applying. My school was more challenging than others, and some teachers are harder markers. I tried asking people about this and all they told me was that some schools do care where you came from, and some don't. I would say that you should just work hard. Don't count on it to help your admission, because it might not.

Best of luck! It would be awesome if you came to Schulich. We need more people from Quebec :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks a lot. But man, i really didn't know that the accounting department was getting a lot of interest (Schulich is reputed for that). I was expecting low 90s from Queens and Iveys because they open new fields such as consultant or working has an executive one day. Maybe I am mistaking but if so, I wouldn't mind being corrected.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Yeah, all three of them have around the same cutoff :( Ivey has a lot fewer applicants than Queens or Schulich though (I heard Ivey has 900 applications per year, while Schulich and Queens have 3000 or 4000+). And yeah, Schulich is more accounting/marketing focused while the other two are better in finance and consulting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz

@aeryn wrote
Yeah, all three of them have around the same cutoff :( Ivey has a lot fewer applicants than Queens or Schulich though (I heard Ivey has 900 applications per year, while Schulich and Queens have 3000 or 4000+). And yeah, Schulich is more accounting/marketing focused while the other two are better in finance and consulting.

Schulich gets 4,500 - 5000 ( http://www.schulich.yorku.ca/client/schulich/Schulich_LP4W_LND_WebStation.nsf/page/BBA+Meet+Us!OpenDocument ), Queens gets 4,500 ( http://business.queensu.ca/bcom/faqs.php ). The 900 number you're referencing for Ivey is the amount of people that apply during their 2nd year of university, not the amount that apply straight out of high school ( http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/pdfs/FirstYear_Professional.pdf ). I can't find a number for Highschool applicants however.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To be honest, I am wondering if Richard Ivey is worth it. Unlike many universities, were Quebec college student can qualify for a delay entry, Richard Ivey forbids that. I have no choice but to enter AEO or start university from scratch in a unrelated program and with no guarantee of my acceptance to the HBA program.

It feels kind of weird because all those AEO students are coming straight from high school, while were ahead of them by around a year. Despite all, I will apply to AEO but this better pays off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@Nick0rz wrote

@aeryn wrote

Schulich gets 4,500 - 5000 ( http://www.schulich.yorku.ca/client/schulich/Schulich_LP4W_LND_WebStation.nsf/page/BBA+Meet+Us!OpenDocument ), Queens gets 4,500 ( http://business.queensu.ca/bcom/faqs.php ). The 900 number you're referencing for Ivey is the amount of people that apply during their 2nd year of university, not the amount that apply straight out of high school ( http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/pdfs/FirstYear_Professional.pdf ). I can't find a number for Highschool applicants however.

Ivey is notorious for not releasing admission statistic particularly for their HBA/AEO. With that being said, I'm pretty sure Ivey has more applications than Schulich and Queens based on their new marketing initiatives and the volume of acceptances they give.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz

@JonathanEtienne wrote
To be honest, I am wondering if Richard Ivey is worth it. Unlike many universities, were Quebec college student can qualify for a delay entry, Richard Ivey forbids that. I have no choice but to enter AEO or start university from scratch in a unrelated program and with no guarantee of my acceptance to the HBA program.

It feels kind of weird because all those AEO students are coming straight from high school, while were ahead of them by around a year. Despite all, I will apply to AEO but this better pays off.

Ivey is 110% worth it. They're a great school, with superb recruiting opportunities. Anyone who tells you otherwise is jealous that they didn't get accepted or are uninformed.

Thats not to say Ivey is right for you, or the path you want to take, but the benefits of going to Ivey are incomparable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Thanks for the info, immaculatedx and Nick0rz. I tried to find the number of apps for Ivey too, but all I found was that number, and it didn't mention that it was only the second year applicants.

JonathanEtienne, even if you don't think it's worth it, apply to it. I think all three schools are well worth the hassle/money. Isn't it always better to keep your options open? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn

@MonicaG wrote
hi~ i was wondering does Grades from previous years matter?

Just wanted to let you know I asked the officials at Schulich today, and they said that grade 11 marks do not matter for your admission.
Was this helpful? Yes 0