yconic - Asking for Marks
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Asking for Marks

A photo of g93 g93
I have seen it mentioned on this forum. People asking their Grade 12 teacher for their mark to be bumped a couple percent so they can get into university or get a scholarship. Or asking for a special bonus assignment.

I have never done this. I don't think I would do this. I don't know of anyone who has done this (odd occasions someone jokingly asks, but never in private and seriously). I am fairly confident that the vast majority of teachers at my school would say no without hesitation.

Have any of you done this? Did it work? Did you think it would work before?

Discuss :alien:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
58 replies

A photo of esin esin
nope never done it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I asked for a bump in Peer Tutoring because a) my mark was unfair, b) I couldn't let it affect admissions/scholarships, and c) it's Peer Tutoring.

It was bumped 6% and still brought down my average by 3%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Unless there are legitimate grounds (e.g. the teacher marked 5+5+3+8+2 = 19 instead of 23) no, you have no right to ask for a better grade. They graded your work based on your work. To change that when you didn't do the work worth the mark is absurd.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@ARMY101 wrote
Unless there are legitimate grounds (e.g. the teacher marked 5+5+3+8+2 = 19 instead of 23) no, you have no right to ask for a better grade. They graded your work based on your work. To change that when you didn't do the work worth the mark is absurd.

This is why I have never done it. I don't feel right asking for marks that I probably don't deserve.

Plus my marks are higher than most people's in my classes, so it wouldn't seem right asking for more marks even though I did better than everone else. I could sort of see where people who are on that 49/50 line want bumped and might ask, but even they probably don't deserve it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of saber33 saber33
I had a girl break down and start crying because her Adv. Functions was going to keep her out of university. Everyone in the class got to do an easy bonus assignment.

So if most people in your class are doing poorly, you might be able to convince the majority of them to ask for classwide bonus assignments.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shelliez Shelliez
I've never done it. This is the first I've heard of someone doing that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of raptors12 raptors12
So many people do it like if you are getting 78/79 and you need 80 avg then teachers usually give you 2% extra. Same way I've seen teachers bumping students or giving easy assignments to bump 1-2% that would help them get into university. You could always ask them if you are short 1% or 2 from your required avg to get into uni,
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Yeah, a lot of teachers do it if you beg enough
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Idil222 Idil222
teachers will bump up ure marks but only if ure failing...they bump it up to at least 50%...depends on how bad u did...idk if they bump up the marks of people who arent doing bad
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Generally, teachers at my school don't do that. There are some though that decrease the weight factor of tests because the class did poorly on it, or bump a 79 -> 80 or 89 -> 90.

But only two teachers in my school I know actually do that. Other teachers are really gay, my physics teacher wouldn't even bump my 79.3 to an 80 in Grade 11.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
No I would find that degrading.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of azcante azcante
It's really lame that this would happen.

Teachers who do such things ought to be fired.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

I don't see it being wrong for the teacher to bump up someone who did try in their classes and short by like 1-2% and they really need that mark to get into uni. At that time the teachers decision can make a huge difference on that student's life. So it's not really teachers fault but a reward for hard working students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@raptors12 wrote
I don't see it being wrong for the teacher to bump up someone who did try in their classes and short by like 1-2% and they really need that mark to get into uni. At that time the teachers decision can make a huge difference on that student's life. So it's not really teachers fault but a reward for hard working students.

What about students who try really hard in other schools but their teacher's don't bump their marks up?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@raptors12 wrote

What about students who try really hard in other schools but their teacher's don't bump their marks up?

Well what I said was that I don't see it being wrong for the teacher to bump. But yea there are teachers who don't bump students even when they get 48/49; and thats too bad; life ain't always fair. But most cases if you talk to the teacher they understand(well from what I've seen).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@raptors12 wrote

@g93 wrote

@raptors12 wrote

Well what I said was that I don't see it being wrong for the teacher to bump. But yea there are teachers who don't bump students even when they get 48/49; and thats too bad; life ain't always fair. But most cases if you talk to the teacher they understand(well from what I've seen).

I've never heard of it at my school, and some here have never heard of it, so I don't think it's very common. And I am 99% sure that 99% of the teachers at my school would not bump people up, unless, perhaps, they were failing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancee dancee
I've never asked my mark to be bumped but I have brought up tests right after we got them handed back for the odd correction. I've seen people try to get their tests regraded days after it being handed back to them and like, sorry, but how does the teacher not know you didn't try to change it? Especially for math which most people write in pencil for.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@dancee wrote
I've never asked my mark to be bumped but I have brought up tests right after we got them handed back for the odd correction. I've seen people try to get their tests regraded days after it being handed back to them and like, sorry, but how does the teacher not know you didn't try to change it? Especially for math which most people write in pencil for.

There is nothing wrong with getting your test re-corrected, if it is an addition error, wrongly marked, etc.

It's asking to be bumped up a few percent to help get into university that is wrong.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
Disgusting.

Nuff said.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ctwinkie ctwinkie
Wow, I'm kind of surprised that most of you have never seen this happen! As bad as it sounds, this is pretty commonplace at my school. There used to be a pair of girls who stayed at school until 7pm on report card day (I saw them once after a club meeting) begging teachers for extra marks/doing odd jobs for them to get the grade. I also know a girl who got bumped up this past term despite having the highest mark in some classes (I think from a 97 to 98). I think it's wrong. I mean borderline A-B or something I'd understand, but getting a better grade just because your teacher likes you/because you asked is plain unethical.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancee dancee

@g93 wrote

@dancee wrote

There is nothing wrong with getting your test re-corrected, if it is an addition error, wrongly marked, etc.

It's asking to be bumped up a few percent to help get into university that is wrong.

Yes, as long as it is done as quickly as possible. What I was getting at was that kids would sometimes try to get away with having their test mark adjusted days after it was handed back. That's just wrong no matter if you "fixed" the test or not. Ultimately, it's your tests/quizzes/assignments that make up the bulk of your mark. If you're allowed to bring them back whenever to be regraded, that's just wrong and I have seen teachers allow that before. I was really happy when my grade 12 chem teacher firmly said no to this. All errors on tests, quizzes and labs were to be reported that period or close to then. She took her sweet time marking anything, but it was so there would be the least amount of contestation about marks. This upset a whole group of guys who used the swoon and revamp tactic on teachers before, but it certainly made the playing ground a little more fair for everyone else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@ctwinkie wrote
Wow, I'm kind of surprised that most of you have never seen this happen! As bad as it sounds, this is pretty commonplace at my school. There used to be a pair of girls who stayed at school until 7pm on report card day (I saw them once after a club meeting) begging teachers for extra marks/doing odd jobs for them to get the grade. I also know a girl who got bumped up this past term despite having the highest mark in some classes (I think from a 97 to 98). I think it's wrong. I mean borderline A-B or something I'd understand, but getting a better grade just because your teacher likes you/because you asked is plain unethical.

That is terrible. Those teachers should be reported.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@dancee wrote

@g93 wrote

@dancee wrote

Yes, as long as it is done as quickly as possible. What I was getting at was that kids would sometimes try to get away with having their test mark adjusted days after it was handed back. That's just wrong no matter if you "fixed" the test or not. Ultimately, it's your tests/quizzes/assignments that make up the bulk of your mark. If you're allowed to bring them back whenever to be regraded, that's just wrong and I have seen teachers allow that before. I was really happy when my grade 12 chem teacher firmly said no to this. All errors on tests, quizzes and labs were to be reported that period or close to then. She took her sweet time marking anything, but it was so there would be the least amount of contestation about marks. This upset a whole group of guys who used the swoon and revamp tactic on teachers before, but it certainly made the playing ground a little more fair for everyone else.

Ya, I always do it ASAP, and I've seen people try to do it a couple days after and the teachers are always suspicious and I think mostly just refuse to re-correct.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KattUsher KattUsher
At my school if you ask the teacher for a better mark and cannot prove why you deserver a higher one they wilol lower your mark
Was this helpful? Yes 0