yconic - Asking for you geniuses tips on how to GET a job..
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Asking for you geniuses tips on how to GET a job..

A photo of harmony harmony
Okay..here's my story
I've only had 2 jobs before and they were to deliver flyers door to door..and that was like years ago.
Right now, I want to get a job..but don't know how you can actually get one.
I've applied like 7 jobs online this weekend and still nothing.
So what should I do to enhance my chance of getting a job?
Should I go directly to the store than applying online? What should I emphasis on my resume to make me look good and stand out among the others?
How did you guys find your jobs?
Please provide me with some tips, hints or anything else that might help

Thank you so so so so much!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Do you have any connections?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
Do you have any connections?

Well..most of my friends work at malls which is very far from my house..I don't have driver's liscence..so my oppertunities are very limited..Most of the jobs I found online are either requires full time or needs long time for me to get there.
One's closer to my house don't really hire anyone..T^T
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew
If you just applied to those jobs this weekend, don't get discouraged if you haven't heard back yet. Sometimes, I get calls from places where I submitted a resume weeks or even months earlier.

I would say that unless a job posting explicitly says that they only accept online applications, it's better to directly hand your resume to a manager in-store.

On your resume, I would emphasize any recent extracurricular activities that you've participated in and job skills that you've learned from them (money management, leadership skills, computer skills, organization, teamwork, etc.).

I found my summer job last year (and what will probably be my summer job this year) by just walking into the store and asking if they were hiring. This is great way to find a job - I suggest you try it. Also, you know this already, but pay attention to newspaper classified sections, Job Bank, Craigslist, etc. Also, ask your guidance counsellor if they've heard of any opportunities - at my school, a lot of employers sent job postings directly to the guidance office.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@awaysheflew wrote
If you just applied to those jobs this weekend, don't get discouraged if you haven't heard back yet. Sometimes, I get calls from places where I submitted a resume weeks or even months earlier.

I would say that unless a job posting explicitly says that they only accept online applications, it's better to directly hand your resume to a manager in-store.

On your resume, I would emphasize any recent extracurricular activities that you've participated in and job skills that you've learned from them (money management, leadership skills, computer skills, organization, teamwork, etc.).

I found my summer job last year (and what will probably be my summer job this year) by just walking into the store and asking if they were hiring. This is great way to find a job - I suggest you try it. Also, you know this already, but pay attention to newspaper classified sections, Job Bank, Craigslist, etc. Also, ask your guidance counsellor if they've heard of any opportunities - at my school, a lot of employers sent job postings directly to the guidance office.

Expanding on that, link your skills and work experience to the job. That is on eof the main things they are looking for. It's great that you are really good at math, but make sure you state why this will be good (you can't do this as much in the cover letter and rseume, but in the interview you can)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks so much for the great advices guys! I got an interview tomorrow~ YAY! My first one in fact! Wish me luck! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@harmony wrote
Thanks so much for the great advices guys! I got an interview tomorrow~ YAY! My first one in fact! Wish me luck! :cheers:

Good luck :cheers:

Be confident and sell yourself, without being too overzealous
Was this helpful? Yes 0