yconic - Asking Questions about teaching
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Asking Questions about teaching

A photo of tracey21st tracey21st
Hello! I have a question! If I want to be a teacher but I'm not sure about which grade level to choose, what are some of the good and bad things about teaching a certain gr. level?!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
This is really a personal choice. I know in both Queen's and Queen's-Trent Concurrent Education you don't have to declare your teaching division until the latter half of the school year. This is to give you time in the classroom to decide which teaching division is better for you. My suggestion to you is to spend time in classrooms of various ages - that's truly the best way to find out which division you want to teach in. They are all rewarding in their own ways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tracey21st tracey21st
Wow! Thank You for this! Sorry but I have another question to ask. What about in college? If I am taking an ECE course in college, but decide not to be an ece but a higer grade in university, is there a way I can change the grade level I'd like to teach?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
Hey sorry for the late response, but my account was having issues yesterday where I couldn't post for whatever reason.

Anyways, in order to teach higher grades with an ECE from college you'll have to get an undergraduate degree then go into a B.Ed program. I know Nipissing offers a program specifically for ECE graduates. Check out http://www.nipissingu.ca/academics/faculties/schulich-school-of-education/bed-programs/concurent-babed-for-ece-graduates/Pages/default.aspx for more information on that.

I am not sure if an ECE degree would count as an undergraduate degree from the perspective of the universities, but if it does you can always upgrade your ECE diploma through something like Guelph-Humber to make it a degree then apply for a B.Ed right after that. I don't know if that is entirely allowed, but it might be something to look into.
Was this helpful? Yes 0