yconic - ATTENTION: All BC Students Grade 12s of 2011/2012
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

ATTENTION: All BC Students Grade 12s of 2011/2012

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
As of the 2011/12 school year, optional provincial exams will no longer be offered. All five required provincial exams remain in place and continue to form part of the graduation program. For further info:
http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2009-2013/2011EDUC0066-001023.htm

Scholarship funds will reach more students, support families

VICTORIA – More B.C. students will benefit from provincial examination scholarship money for post-secondary education this year as eligibility criteria shifts to better reflect the provincial graduation program.

As of the 2011-12 school year, scholarship criteria will shift to focus on students’ performance in grades 10, 11 and 12 required provincial exams. This change will ensure that scholarship dollars reach the maximum number of B.C. students, making post-secondary education more affordable for them and their families.

The provincial examination scholarships, typically valued at $1,000 each with the top 20 students earning $2,500, had previously been awarded based only on students’ performance in their Grade 12 exams, both required and optional. This year, optional provincial exams will no longer be offered.

Secondary students in B.C. were once required to write a series of Grade 12 provincial exams in order to graduate from secondary school. When the graduation program changed in 2004, a suite of grades 10 and 11 required exams were added and many of the Grade 12 exams became optional. This gave students more flexibility and choice in their course selection, and recognized the various post-graduation pathways students could take.

Since that time, post-secondary institutions have changed their admissions criteria and no longer use Grade 12 optional exam marks. As a result, the number of students writing optional Grade 12 exams has dropped significantly – with about 80 per cent currently opting out. This has led to a decline in the number of provincial exam scholarships being awarded, leaving an estimated $2.5 million in scholarship dollars unclaimed.

The shift in scholarship criteria will mean more students are automatically eligible for the provincial examination scholarships. It is anticipated that the number of scholarships awarded will return to levels on par with those from before the introduction of optional exams, when approximately $5 million in scholarships had been awarded to B.C. students.

Quote:

Minister of Education George Abbott –
“B.C.’s exam program continues to be one of the most rigorous in Canada. Our students compete globally, and we know one of the best ways we can support their bright future is through a solid post-secondary education. That’s why we’ve modernized our provincial scholarship criteria to better assist and reward students in their pursuit of higher education.”

Quick Facts:

· Courses that have required exams: Science 10, Apprenticeship and Workplace Mathematics 10, Foundations of Mathematics and Pre-calculus 10, Social Studies 11, BC First Nations Studies 12, Civic Studies 11, English 10, English 10 First Peoples, Français langue premiere 10, English 12, English 12 First Peoples, Français langue premiere 12 and Communications 12.
· Grade 12 courses that had optional exams: Applications of Math 12, Principles of Math 12, English Literature 12, History 12, Geography 12, Geology 12, Physics 12, Chemistry 12, Biology 12, French 12, Spanish 12, German 12, Mandarin 12, Japanese 12, and Punjabi 12. The Français langue seconde immersion 12 exam is also optional; however, French immersion students must write this exam to earn their bilingual diploma.
· The Ministry of Advanced Education provides funding for the provincial scholarship program and the Ministry of Education administers it.

Thoughts on this?? I am not sure exactly what it is saying. Is it saying that for scholarship money grants it will be based on the five REQUIRED exams now or we now have to take all optional exams... If it is the latter that may seem unfair. To me, if they want to make a change, then basing scholarship money on required exams will make more sense than making kids do all of the optional exams.

Can someone please clarify? Thanks. The newsletter was very ambiguous.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

Actually I feel kind of stupid now:
More B.C. students will benefit from provincial examination scholarship money for post-secondary education this year as eligibility criteria shifts to better reflect the provincial graduation program.

As of the 2011-12 school year, scholarship criteria will shift to focus on students’ performance in grades 10, 11 and 12 required provincial exams.

good thing or bad thing? LOL i did my grade 12 math prov in grade 11...... what a waste...?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RandomStudent RandomStudent
I believe the article is saying that starting from the 2011/2012 school year, they will only use the 5 required provincial exams (English 10, Math 10, Science 10, Social Studies 11 and English 12) as stated in the sentence, "As of the 2011-12 school year, scholarship criteria will shift to focus on students’ performance in grades 10, 11 and 12 required provincial exams," instead of using the optional provincials which were used in previous years.

If this is the case, I find that students going into grade 11 and 12 in the 2011/2012 school year are at a high disadvantage in gaining a scholarship at all, especially for the graduating grade 12s.

Reasons:

1. For those who were planning on earning their $1000 scholarship through achieving at least 86% on 3 provincial exams, they cannot be written anymore besides the one counted for English 12 which is mandatory. Refer to quote, "This year, optional provincial exams will no longer be offered."
I believe this will increase the unclaimed scholarship dollars even higher than before because of the high rate of students losing the opportunity to gain their $1000.

2. Students who did poorly on the grade 10/11 exams may not have the chance to redo them because of the fact that they may only be written within a year of completing their previous course exam date. The same course exam complete any date later than that will not be accepted (?).

3. If any Grade 12s of the 2011/2012 school year fall under #2, I am guessing 99.99% of them will NOT be able to rewrite their Grade 10 exam, unless the Grade 10 course exam date has not exceeded a year after it has been written (which I highly doubt).

4. What about those who have already written 3+ provincial exams and are still in high school (going into Grade 12 and has completed them in Grade 11)? Are they still eligible for the $1000 provincial examination scholarships? I mean, they wrote them before the policy was even mentioned, how were they supposed to know!? Does that mean it was waste to even write an optional exam before you graduate!?

5. If the provincial school board (?) was going to let this policy pass in the first place, I believe they should have reminded us 2 or 3 years ahead of time so Grade 11/12s will be more prepared to accept it, more over than posting it randomly and having students like me panic over what to do.

I have to say, I am currently very discontent with this new change and unsatisfied with the fact that nobody even mentioned anything about this until it was suddenly brought up in the middle of an unexpected summer. They better release their requirements to earning the "new" scholarship soon or else there will be even more unsatisfied students not knowing what mark to achieve for their exam as well as confused teachers around the province.
By the time school starts, I hope all teachers will know this has been passed in British Columbia because my Course Selection Counselor did not even know about the Language Challenge policy changes that happened in 2010/2011 until I told him after searching it up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
Exactly. Agree with everything.
I personally spent lots of extra time studying for the grade 12 math prov during my grade 11 school year, and turns out it was a waste of my time.
I find it very sudden for BC government to suddenly change this. They dont realize that a majority of students in BC are relying heavily on the optional exams for a chance to get scholarships because most did not "try" or "do well" during their grade 10 provincial exams.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alishawsamnani alishawsamnani

@cliffhanger33 wrote
Actually I feel kind of stupid now:
More B.C. students will benefit from provincial examination scholarship money for post-secondary education this year as eligibility criteria shifts to better reflect the provincial graduation program.

As of the 2011-12 school year, scholarship criteria will shift to focus on students’ performance in grades 10, 11 and 12 required provincial exams.

good thing or bad thing? LOL i did my grade 12 math prov in grade 11...... what a waste...?

I actually did the exact same thing, as most of my Grade 12 classes were ones I took in Grade 11... I think this does put us at an disadvantage, whichever way the meaning was intended to be(all optional or all required).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Provincial Scholarship Criteria
Students must achieve at least a “B” (73% or above) final
mark (provincial exam and school mark combined) in one
of the Language Arts 12 (Communications 12, English 12,
Francais langue premiere 12, or English 12 First Peoples).

Students must achieve at least one “A” (86% or higher)
and three “B”s (73% or higher) on four of his or her
best provincial exams (can include the Language Arts 12
provincial exam

Wow, this is such a joke. Did they just make requirement way easier?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of michaelplease michaelplease
yes.... I think they overreacted to try to give away more scholarships... Now they might run out of money!

I believe they should have either:
1) Kept the optional provincials and a) increased prize money, and b) increased the size of the highest tier (right now the top 20 students are rewarded with more, but it is near impossible to achieve this). This would be my preference as it rewards better students who are willing to put in time and effort to prepare for these exams. It also allows schools/students to compare their standards/understanding with that of others across the province.
or
2) Abolished the optional provincials and made the bar 3 A's and a B in English 12, then adjusted the award money to meet the funds allocated.

The way it is now, VERY mediocre students will get the same amount as those who get 5 A's but don't qualify for the $2500 (which is near impossible to achieve...)!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EmersonL EmersonL
Hi! Im a grade 11 student in Richmond , I just want confirm if the following info is true for my graduation year. Cause i heard from my teachers in my school that you need to have an A average in 5 of the provincial exams(like, 86 in math 10,science 10,english 10&12, and social studies 11 and when you total them up its an A average) and you cannot get a mark lower than a B to qualify for the $1000 scholarship

b. For students graduating on or after September 1, 2011, the
following rules apply:
• Students must achieve at least a “B” (73% or above) final
mark (provincial exam and school mark combined) in one
of the Language Arts 12 (Communications 12, English 12,
Francais langue premiere 12, or English 12 First Peoples).
• Students must achieve at least one “A” (86% or higher)
and three “B”s (73% or higher) on four of his or her
best provincial exams (can include the Language Arts 12
provincial exam).
• The examination rewrite rule will be relaxed for one year
(September 1, 2011 to August 31, 2012) to allow students
to rewrite a required exam to improve their scores.
See page 36 for more information.
• AP and most IB scores will no longer count towards
scholarship.
See page 107 for the full details on eligibility

Link for info:http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams/handbook/1112/handbook_of_procedures.pdf

I just want to confirm this because it have been stressing me out lately

Edit: What does this quote mean " The examination rewrite rule will be relaxed for one year
(September 1, 2011 to August 31, 2012) to allow students
to rewrite a required exam to improve their scores. "

Like can i still re-write my english 10 exam to qualify for the $1000 scholarship (my provincial mark for english is at 70% right now and i just want to get a B on it, so i can qualify for the scholarship)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
This actually made me so angry when I heard that they changed the scholarship requirement. I'm grade 12 this year in Richmond and I was really depending on those grade 12 provincials to get scholarships. D< Now I don't have any chance of getting it since I already finished my grade 10 and 11 provincials. And gullible ol' me thought that grade 10 and 11 provincials didn't mean anything since I wouldn't use them. So I have an A, B, B, and sadly a C+ for my provincials. I planned everything out last year and signed up for 3 provincially examinable courses that I was actually good at. Now there doesn't seem to be a point. D: Why did they change it all of a sudden this year. It's such a disadvantage for us. Now I have to pay in full tuition. This was not a very good way to give away scholarships.
All of this really just adds to my Senioritis. :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Neekii wrote
This actually made me so angry when I heard that they changed the scholarship requirement. I'm grade 12 this year in Richmond and I was really depending on those grade 12 provincials to get scholarships. D< Now I don't have any chance of getting it since I already finished my grade 10 and 11 provincials. And gullible ol' me thought that grade 10 and 11 provincials didn't mean anything since I wouldn't use them. So I have an A, B, B, and sadly a C+ for my provincials. I planned everything out last year and signed up for 3 provincially examinable courses that I was actually good at. Now there doesn't seem to be a point. D: Why did they change it all of a sudden this year. It's such a disadvantage for us. Now I have to pay in full tuition. This was not a very good way to give away scholarships.
All of this really just adds to my Senioritis. :/

Same thing for me . i'm probably going to re-write the english 10 provincial exam cause i got a C+ on it(70% ): ). You could probably re-write the exam in which you got a C+( Just go to your counselor or Principle in your school to help you register for it)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fbturcotte fbturcotte
Does this mean I'm eligible for the scholarship? Because my exams marks are as follows:

English 10 - 87
Math 10 - 70
Science 10 - 76
Socials 11 - 86
English 12 - 87

And they take the top 4 exams right? So my English 10, Science, Socials, and English 12?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think you are (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bubblepenguin bubblepenguin
So what happens if you want to retake the exam to get a better mark?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rebeccaquach rebeccaquach
Frankly, I'm just pissed off. There goes all the scholarship opportunities I was counting on..

How idiotic that they didn't see the need to warn graduating students ahead of time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danaa danaa
My principle told me yesterday, for this year we can re-take any provincial, even if it's over a year old.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Has anybody heard of what to do in the case of rewriting the Principles of Math 10 provincial? It's not included in the Ministry exam schedule...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

For all those who completed the requirements for the previous prov. exam scholarship: "Students who have met all scholarship requirements under the old rules but have not graduated prior to August 31, 2011 and do not qualify for scholarship under the new rules will be awarded a scholarship based on the work done prior to August 31, 2011. See Page 95 of the 2010-2011 Handbook." BCED examination website.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted