yconic - Average needed to get into McGill Political Science.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Average needed to get into McGill Political Science.

A photo of LawBound LawBound
My guidance counselor told me that McGill needed an 85% average (to be safe) for acceptance to their Political Science program. I'm taking a year off after I graduate, and will only be applying next year. I have a 94% average right now, and can see it going down to a 92, MAYBE a 91 after exams as I have a lot going on in my life right now.

Do you reckon a 91 would be good enough? I have a friend who applied with a 92% to Arts [ wants to get into PoliSci] at McGill this year and got rejected, so I'm really worried.

I'm from Ontario, by the way.

Edit: Those who have been accepted or declined from Arts programs at McGill; do you mind telling me what average you had? I'm trying to determine what the actual cut-off for admissions is. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of NumberOne NumberOne
Yeah, your friend was probably just unlucky.

87%+ average to be competitive; 90%+ and you're right about guaranteed an acceptance.

Also, not to nitpick..but you will be applying to McGill Arts (not Poli Sci specifically). You will declare your major in second year.

Good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@NumberOne wrote
Yeah, you're friend was probably just unlucky.

87%+ average to be competitive; 90%+ and you're right about guaranteed an acceptance.

Also, not to nitpick..but you will be applying to McGill Arts (not Poli Sci specifically). You will declare your major in second year.

Good luck :)

Oh alright! Thanks so much! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
I got into McGill Arts (Political Science is in this faculty) with an 86% average back in early April... my lowest mark out of my top 4 (I'm from BC) was a 71% hahaha.

You will be fine.

But your friend was rejected with a 92%? Wtf?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@prmly wrote
I got into McGill Arts (Political Science is in this faculty) with an 86% average back in early April... my lowest mark out of my top 4 (I'm from BC) was a 71% hahaha.

You will be fine.

But your friend was rejected with a 92%? Wtf?

Thanks!

And that's why I'm sketching out! I mean, even my guidance counselor told her that she had nothing to be worried about and that she would get in... but then she didn't.

Another friend got rejected (from a different faculty) from Engineering with a 94%, though I'd imagine that their engineering faculty would require a higher average compared to the Arts.

In the past, I've been told that McGill isn't as hard to get into as everyone makes it out to be, and I started to believe that. But now I'm really, really starting to worry as people with rather high averages (that I thought would ensure them a spot) have been getting rejected :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0