yconic - Awkward situation!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Awkward situation!

A photo of redadeco redadeco
Hi guys,

Hope u're doing well. Indeed I want to be an aerospace engineer, and as you know this program is offered (undergrad) only in Uoft(engsci) , ryerson and carleton.
The problem is that I received a rejection from uoft, But I got acceptance from Ryerson (aero), UBC(engineering 1st year)and McGill(engineering 1st year).
Please I'm confused and I want you to help me choose from those knowing that I aim to pursue a grad degree @ Ivies (US) in the future.

Thank you!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Should've applied to RMC
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of srkambbs srkambbs
If you go and google, you'll discover than Ryerson is the best at Aerospace Engineering in Canada and it doesn't matter if you got rejected for eng sci. It focuses more on research stuff rather than ACTUAL engineering. So, if you really want to become an aerospace engineer (probably at NASA) go for Ryerson
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@srkambbs wrote
If you go and google, you'll discover than Ryerson is the best at Aerospace Engineering in Canada and it doesn't matter if you got rejected for eng sci. It focuses more on research stuff rather than ACTUAL engineering. So, if you really want to become an aerospace engineer (probably at NASA) go for Ryerson

Thanks but I have a doubt on Ryerson's recognition (especially if I wanna continue at the grad level in the US or europe)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
If you have a good GPA, Ryerson is fine for grad studies. Its not like, UofT will go "THIS GUY WENT TO RYERSON FOR HIS UNDERGRAD!?! He might have a 4.0 GPA but we can't take him!" Marks are more important the school name if your end goal is grad school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of meghie meghie
One of my friends at McGill is in 1st year Mechanical engineering. He is also going into Aerospace engineering. I think McGill is a great choice for it's reputation and how well known it is. Montreal is also a great city. McGill has an awesome engineering program too
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711

@noxx98 wrote
If you have a good GPA, Ryerson is fine for grad studies. Its not like, UofT will go "THIS GUY WENT TO RYERSON FOR HIS UNDERGRAD!?! He might have a 4.0 GPA but we can't take him!" Marks are more important the school name if your end goal is grad school.

People always ask if going to a less known school will make it harder to get into grad school, but it really depends where you want to go. If you want to go to UofT, noxx98 would be absolutely right. But it sounds like the OP wants to go to an ivy league, which is different. If you want to go to the US after undergrad being at a school with a good international reputation (such as McGill) might give you an advantage because, while Canadian schools dont usually care where you went for undergrad, American schools often do. That being said, Ryerson is a relatively well known school, so if the program is better than at other schools, it may be worth the slight disadvantage.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kyleigh711 wrote

@noxx98 wrote

People always ask if going to a less known school will make it harder to get into grad school, but it really depends where you want to go. If you want to go to UofT, noxx98 would be absolutely right. But it sounds like the OP wants to go to an ivy league, which is different. If you want to go to the US after undergrad being at a school with a good international reputation (such as McGill) might give you an advantage because, while Canadian schools dont usually care where you went for undergrad, American schools often do. That being said, Ryerson is a relatively well known school, so if the program is better than at other schools, it may be worth the slight disadvantage.

Yeah indeed I'm looking forward to moving to ivies for grad! But given that UBC and McGill don't offer aerospace eng. at the undergrad level, which stream should I follow?
Mechanical or engineering physics?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Really, you should have applied to the RMC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
Talk to reps from each school about what % of grads go into aerospace, and which one has the most courses offered applicable to aerospace.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@g93 wrote
Really, you should have applied to the RMC.

+ 1
Was this helpful? Yes 0