yconic - Ba or Bsc?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ba or Bsc?

A photo of Goodman Goodman
Hey everyone, I'm a new poster here but I've lurked around for a quite a while and had a question. Would you all choose a Bsc or Ba for psychology? I'm a grade eleven and my marks are alright, nothing too high but I had a really tough semester and my best courses will be next semester (I have Math, Law, and ASP). Anyways, I want to go to UBC for a Bsc or Ba in psych and was wondering what you all would recommend. After undergrad I would either go Phd in psych and become a psychological analyst for the Canadian government, or go into law as a crown attorney. What do you all think would be best for that career path, Ba or Bsc?

Thanks in advance- Goodman
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Both are good programs, especially at UBC.
I think Science gets down to the nitty gritty of psych though. You'd learn exactly what goes on in the brain, etc.
It will also highly depend on your grades.
To get into the Faculty of Arts, you would need at LEAST an 86% average in the courses required for admission, but the good thing for Arts is that the only REQUIRED course used in calculation of your average is English, the other 3 are your next highest marks that are approved courses.
For Sciences, you would need at LEAST a 90% for admission, and there isn't as much lee-way.. Science requires English, Math, and at least one science. That really only leaves room for 1 other approved course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
Both are good programs, especially at UBC.
I think Science gets down to the nitty gritty of psych though. You'd learn exactly what goes on in the brain, etc.
It will also highly depend on your grades.
To get into the Faculty of Arts, you would need at LEAST an 86% average in the courses required for admission, but the good thing for Arts is that the only REQUIRED course used in calculation of your average is English, the other 3 are your next highest marks that are approved courses.
For Sciences, you would need at LEAST a 90% for admission, and there isn't as much lee-way.. Science requires English, Math, and at least one science. That really only leaves room for 1 other approved course.

Is it not top six courses? I'm good at physics (although grade 12 physics is known for being the hardest course at my school) I'm good at maths. English I can skim and get 88's Then Law and three M level arts courses (I go to a RAP high school) and I should be ok. I'll probably just apply for both next year and see.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Western schools are a little different than eastern schools.
We only take the top 4, and that's including English, so really, top 3 with English, but that's if you attend high school in BC like me.

But I'm guessing you're from Ontario, so it would be top 6 for you, including English.. and Adv Functions.. and a Grade 12 Science... so 3 more after that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
Western schools are a little different than eastern schools.
We only take the top 4, and that's including English, so really, top 3 with English, but that's if you attend high school in BC like me.

But I'm guessing you're from Ontario, so it would be top 6 for you, including English.. and Adv Functions.. and a Grade 12 Science... so 3 more after that.

Wow, that must make it tougher for you guys. Yea, I'm in Ontario. the thing is I am in the regional arts program so I have to take my major arts course each semester. Which ties up two course slots a year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It is.
Ridiculous how hard it is it get into UBC.
So unfair since you eastern kids have OUAC, I know so many eastern people who have already gotten into UBC because they have marks already on OUAC, whereas us hometown kids have to wait until March to even REPORT our grades!

Ahhhh, but that's pretty cool how you're so involved in an arts program.
That would DEFINITELY look good on a UBC Arts supplemental if you find that you need to write it next year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
It is.
Ridiculous how hard it is it get into UBC.
So unfair since you eastern kids have OUAC, I know so many eastern people who have already gotten into UBC because they have marks already on OUAC, whereas us hometown kids have to wait until March to even REPORT our grades!

Ahhhh, but that's pretty cool how you're so involved in an arts program.
That would DEFINITELY look good on a UBC Arts supplemental if you find that you need to write it next year!

Yea, basically it's an auditioned program, we offer dance, drama, visual arts and music. I'm a drama major, every year drama has around 150 kids audition and they accept 30, then you take specialized courses every semester for your four years. Others is different. It's amazing, but it's tough. But it's great because since 2/3 of the school is auditioned so they are motivated to do well. It isn't unusual to have 150 kids on the honor roll, and our teachers aren't easy. I love it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That's awesome that you found something you're passionate about!
I LOVE that kind of drive!
Makes me wish I didn't give up music!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
That's awesome that you found something you're passionate about!
I LOVE that kind of drive!
Makes me wish I didn't give up music!

It's never too late. What do/did you play? I am a drama major but play drums in a band as well as had a lead role in our schools musical.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I wish I still had the time to take up music again!
Sighhh, too stressed with university stuff now...
I used to play the piano and clarinet.

Ohhh, drums.. I love playing the drums on Rockband.
:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
I wish I still had the time to take up music again!
Sighhh, too stressed with university stuff now...
I used to play the piano and clarinet.

Ohhh, drums.. I love playing the drums on Rockband.
:cheers:

It's omly slightly different *sarcasm*. University has me stressed and I'm in eleven, *sigh*
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Told you I'm not very musically gifted.
:compress:
Don't worry about it, I started stressing and doing my research in grade 9!
You still have a whole year to think about it.
My advice to you is to do a LOT of research now so you know ALL your pre-reqs, and take some courses over the summer, the easy ones..
I took English 12 over the summer to get it out of the way and came out with a 95.. it's so much easier and eases off the load in your grade 12 year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
At UBC, do both a BA and Bsc involve writing a thesis in your last year? If so, then I don't think it really matters. In Ontario unis though, BAs are 3 years and don't involve writing a thesis whereas a BSc is 4 years and does. In that case, I think a BSc is looked more highly upon for grad school because they'll know that you've had experience conducting a research experiment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm not sure about BSc but I know BA at UBC requires you to write a thesis in either your 4th or 5th year.
I know someone in the BA program in her 5th year who's working on her thesis this semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shannos5 shannos5
I'd go for BSc because I think pschology should be a science :)
and I prefer sceince options over art
Was this helpful? Yes 0