yconic - Bachelor of Public Affairs and Policy Management @ Carleton
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Bachelor of Public Affairs and Policy Management @ Carleton

A photo of MahMerc MahMerc
So I received an acceptance notice for my application for the International Business program at Carleton, but for my application for PAPM, I only got an "Eligible for admission" notice.Anyone know what that means?

Anyways, my point is that I have to make a decision between International Business or the Public Affairs and Policy Management program. At the moment, I know a great deal about the International Business program but I know nothing about the Public Affairs program. So basically, I just want to know if anyone's been in the PAPM program or knows about it? In addition, is it a good program? what subjects does it focus on? Is it well known within the university? etc.

Thank You.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
I am in grade 11, and I am pretty sure that I am going to go to the BPAPM program at Carleton. I will most certainly take the Co-op option. It would be foolish not to, considering the nature of the program, and the location of Carleton.

Whoo!

It looks pretty awesome. I am so excited. :D

@MahMerc wrote
what subjects does it focus on?

This is the only question that I can kind of answer, but I'll just tell you that everything is on the website. There's a list of the required courses, and the specialization options on the site.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
PAPM is an excellent program. I too don't know much more than what the website says, but it's a good program and a lot of the people in the program enjoy it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sevenzeroz sevenzeroz

@MahMerc wrote
So I received an acceptance notice for my application for the International Business program at Carleton, but for my application for PAPM, I only got an "Eligible for admission" notice.Anyone know what that means?

Anyways, my point is that I have to make a decision between International Business or the Public Affairs and Policy Management program. At the moment, I know a great deal about the International Business program but I know nothing about the Public Affairs program. So basically, I just want to know if anyone's been in the PAPM program or knows about it? In addition, is it a good program? what subjects does it focus on? Is it well known within the university? etc.

Thank You.

Congratulations on getting accepted :) I got into the BPAPM too :)

I only know stuff based off the research I've done on the programs so yeah. The difference between the 2 programs is that they are they are very different subjects.

The International Business program is all about doing business in an international context, so it would relate to the different fields in business like management, marketing, accounting, etc. but with a global focus. In this program I believe it is mandatory to study a second language, and the international exchange is also mandatory for BIB students I think.

The BPAPM is related to political science and it focuses on policy making, the government, and generally things in that field. It really depends on what you want to specialize in (there are 7 specializations). A 4th year BPAPM student called my house (it's a part of what Carleton does apparently) to ask if I had any questions, and one of the ones I asked was what type of jobs do graduates get and she said most students end up getting jobs in the government, with different organizations, or go on to study masters (which most of them do).

Also, there is the co-op option for the BPAPM, there's none for the BIB but if you apply for regular Bcom then you can apply to co-op.

Here's a link for course specifics for the BPAPM - it's categorized by specialization

http://www.carleton.ca/calendars/ugrad/current/programs/publicaffairsandpolicymanagement.html

From what I've heard, yes, it's a good program, and Carleton is generally well-known for poltical science. I think it's one of the few universities that has a Faculty for Public Affairs. Also, the only other universities I know that offer similar undergrad programs WITH co-op are uOttawa and UTSC. I never really looked at UTSC but when I was comparing the courses in uOttawa's program with Carleton's, there were a lot more course options with Carleton's - I didn't see any options for specialization with uOttawa's programs.

Was this helpful? Yes 0