yconic - Bad advanced functions mark
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Bad advanced functions mark

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
I'm applying to only three programs that require advanced functions (Brock, Carleton and Guelph) but I have a very bad mark in advanced functions (I'm embarrassed to say it) I feel I will probably end up getting within the 60s as my final mark. So my question is how much would my functions mark matter to these schools if I get 80s in the rest of my subjects? Would my low functions mark just screw me over?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of g93 g93
These programs will probably use AF to calculate your top 6 average (since it's a prereq). So obviously it will hurt you, but if your marks are 80+ and your AF is 60+ you can definitely still get into some or all of those 3 programs you named. Just check to make sure the programs don't have a certain mark requirement for AF. I doubt they'd be higher than 60, but you wouldn't want it to be 70.

You could take data if you're not already and apply to Laurier BBA. It only requires "one 4U level math", and with a mid-high 80 average you'd have a good shot.

Or, you could look into retaking AF, or going the night school/private school route. If you are going to go this route, just make sure that you end up understanding the content. If you don't, you will likely be punished in your first year math course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle

@g93 wrote
These programs will probably use AF to calculate your top 6 average (since it's a prereq). So obviously it will hurt you, but if your marks are 80+ and your AF is 60+ you can definitely still get into some or all of those 3 programs you named. Just check to make sure the programs don't have a certain mark requirement for AF. I doubt they'd be higher than 60, but you wouldn't want it to be 70.

You could take data if you're not already and apply to Laurier BBA. It only requires "one 4U level math", and with a mid-high 80 average you'd have a good shot.

Or, you could look into retaking AF, or going the night school/private school route. If you are going to go this route, just make sure that you end up understanding the content. If you don't, you will likely be punished in your first year math course.

The math prerequisites for Laurier BBA are advanced functions + 1 other university math (either data or calc). One of their conditions for acceptance is a final mark of at least 70 in advanced functions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0