yconic - Bank account at Uni
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Bank account at Uni

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK
Ok so to put this in context:
I have dual citizenship (UK/Canada) and will be going to McGill in August 2012, and basically while I'm living in Canada I am going to need a bank account... obviously.

Never having lived there, and not knowing anything about Canadian banking... can anyone suggest a good bank to open an account with? Do they do student accounts like banks do here in the UK? Any advice/tips appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
All of the major banks have student accounts. I'm with Scotiabank, they're OK I guess. My boyfriend is with TD and they're a lot easier to deal with and better hours. RBC, CIBC and the like I have no experience with. You can go to all of their websites and see what student accounts they offer and then see what banks will be near where you're living.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
I have RBC's free student account. Pretty good.

I also got their free online savings account (but it costs money to use this in stores etc., so I just e-squirrel money away in it so I don't spend it all lol. this is probably unnecessary for non-shopaholic people)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
I'll hold your money for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
ScotiaBank's university student account is good. Unlimited transactions, online banking, etc. for only $1.25 a month.
Was this helpful? Yes 0