yconic - BAT4M Textbooks
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

BAT4M Textbooks

A photo of jefferyupaul jefferyupaul
I'm going into AFM-FM next year, but have never taken an economics/business/accounting related course in high school. Thus, I wanted to prepare myself a little bit by going over the textbooks used in Grade 11 + 12 Financial Accounting (BAT4M and BAF3M). Anyone know which textbooks are used for these courses or any other books to read to prepare myself? I've heard rumors on this site that if you have taken these courses in high school that first year will be a breeze?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of apark17 apark17

@jefferyupaul wrote
I'm going into AFM-FM next year, but have never taken an economics/business/accounting related course in high school. Thus, I wanted to prepare myself a little bit by going over the textbooks used in Grade 11 + 12 Financial Accounting (BAT4M and BAF3M). Anyone know which textbooks are used for these courses or any other books to read to prepare myself? I've heard rumors on this site that if you have taken these courses in high school that first year will be a breeze?

you shouldnt just jump in to accounting (afm) especially when you havent taken gr 12 accounting. Its a very specialized program. IMO you should have taken at least the grade 11 one. It will definitely be to your advantage if you have taken gr 12 accounting.

ask your business teachers, i totally forgot the name of mine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BobTheBuilder BobTheBuilder

@apark17 wrote

@jefferyupaul wrote

you shouldnt just jump in to accounting (afm) especially when you havent taken gr 12 accounting. Its a very specialized program. IMO you should have taken at least the grade 11 one. It will definitely be to your advantage if you have taken gr 12 accounting.

FALSE

AFM (and BAcc) assume no prior knowledge of accounting. I had never taken any accounting classes before deciding to pursue BAcc. I did fairly well, but I had to work harder than people who had taken accounting classes since first year was essentially a glorified review. Going into second year, everyone is on the same page.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17

@BobTheBuilder wrote

@apark17 wrote

@jefferyupaul wrote

FALSE

AFM (and BAcc) assume no prior knowledge of accounting. I had never taken any accounting classes before deciding to pursue BAcc. I did fairly well, but I had to work harder than people who had taken accounting classes since first year was essentially a glorified review. Going into second year, everyone is on the same page.

why would you pursue something that you dont know anything about? or have never even tried out in HS?

granted, doesnt mean you cant.

just my $0.02
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BSchoolMaster BSchoolMaster

@BobTheBuilder wrote

@apark17 wrote

@jefferyupaul wrote

FALSE

My accounting prof charted the distribution of marks, and grouped it into two categories - taken high school accounting, and notaken high school accounting.

Students who have taken high school accounting received, on average, 13% higher on the midterm exam than the ones who didn't.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mauds mauds

@apark17 wrote

@BobTheBuilder wrote

@apark17 wrote

@jefferyupaul wrote

FALSE

why would you pursue something that you dont know anything about? or have never even tried out in HS?

granted, doesnt mean you cant.

just my $0.02

I agree. It would be like entering a computer science degree with no prior knowledge of computers. Could you do it? Yes, and you are a testament to that (for accounting). However it would be advisable to have at least some prior knowledge.
This is not like choosing to take Grade 12 Accounting without taking Grade 11 Accounting. This is way more important.

For the OP, I suggest just looking at Grade 12 Accounting as it covers pretty much everything from Grade 11. My Grade 12 Accounting book is called 'Accounting Principles 3rd Edition'. Unfortunately it is $100+ and 500+ pages, but defintely worthwhile if you want it.
Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@BSchoolMaster wrote

@BobTheBuilder wrote

@apark17 wrote

@jefferyupaul wrote

FALSE

My accounting prof charted the distribution of marks, and grouped it into two categories - taken high school accounting, and notaken high school accounting.

Students who have taken high school accounting received, on average, 13% higher on the midterm exam than the ones who didn't.

I can definitely see that. It doesn't matter what school it is, everyone always says that the people who have taken Grade 11 and 12 Accounting do better on average than those that don't.

You're not going to be as good at something you have never done before versus if you had done it before.

OP, you will just have to work your ass off. Good start, but I don't remember my textbook.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BobTheBuilder BobTheBuilder

@BSchoolMaster wrote

I can definitely see how this is possible for people that might not be the most motivated. At Brock, we had weekly homework assignments that were worth a good portion of our final mark so it made me stay on top of things. So I guess it really depends on mark allocation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prefontaine prefontaine
http://bcs.wiley.com/he-bcs/Books?action=index&itemId=0470831677&itemTypeId=BKS&bcsId=1766

Above is a link to the grade 12 Accounting textbook that public schools use. On the top right of the screen you'll see select chapter. I would highly suggest selecting one and then going over the powerpoint. I believe the first 5 are review of grade 11. Also, do not feel as if you have to know it all. I believe my class only covered a few of the chapters in any detail.

While taking the courses prior to jumping into that program is not required, it will definitely help. Spend some time this summer going over this material, and you will be well-prepared.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@prefontaine wrote
http://bcs.wiley.com/he-bcs/Books?action=index&itemId=0470831677&itemTypeId=BKS&bcsId=1766

Above is a link to the grade 12 Accounting textbook that public schools use. On the top right of the screen you'll see select chapter. I would highly suggest selecting one and then going over the powerpoint. I believe the first 5 are review of grade 11. Also, do not feel as if you have to know it all. I believe my class only covered a few of the chapters in any detail.

While taking the courses prior to jumping into that program is not required, it will definitely help. Spend some time this summer going over this material, and you will be well-prepared.

ty very much! you saved me ~$100!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

any1 know the name of the accounting software used for the solutions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@jefferyupaul wrote
any1 know the name of the accounting software used for the solutions?

?

Just use Excel
Was this helpful? Yes 0