yconic - BBA or Engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

BBA or Engineering?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey guys,

I'm a grade 11 student with pretty good marks. However, I seem to have a problem I hope you guys can help me with. I wanted to study CS in grade 10, but that summer, I have been researching about the finance side of business and noticed people talking about how people in finance make much more than anything. So for all of grade 11 until now, I have basically decided to do a BBA with a major in finance. I now am re-thinking doing that and going into software/computer engineering and get an MBA after that. The reason behind this is that when I look at Schulich's or Queen's Commerce first and second year courses, they are such BS, such as "business history" or "business and society". The only problem with engineering is the workload and how the job market will be for Comp/software engineering when I graduate. To summarize, I need a degree/program which has its technical side like engineering with the opportunity to progress through the ladders. Do you guys think I should pursue engineering or finance, or can you give any other comments about my situation?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of asad04 asad04
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,2073703,00.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Yes people in finance make a lot of money, but it can be very difficult to get a job in that sector. As you've seen, a business undergrad degree can be pretty full of BS, simply because most of business requires soft skills, not hard skills. The exception would be accounting and finance where you really need to know more concrete things.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose
Business degrees are piss-easy and retarded, finance jobs may pay well now but we're in the middle of an finance bubble and they probably won't pay like that 10 years down the road, as the pay is currently inflated.

Do what you enjoy, not what you think will pay more money... though I guess many CS jobs will start with a 6 figure salary, which is much harder to get starting out in finance, if you're really so obsessed with high pay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
If you pursue money and success as your primary, you will fail.

But anyways, to sum things up: fastest way to 6 figures and the upper middle class is through engineering/cs. You'll have a lower ceiling compared to someone in business or finance in terms of potential if you just stick with that. However, you mentioned you want to pursue an MBA down the road which will open management doors. As someone who decided to go through the business/finance/accounting route at first and then switched to CS, I think it'd be a total waste for someone like you who is more than capable of pursuing engineering/cs to start off with an undergraduate business program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Thanks for your answers guys :)

Another thing - If I do comp/soft. engineering and I work for 10 or so years, I will be maxed out on salary and position. Will getting an MBA from a good school like Schulich or Rotman help me in terms of getting to positions such as VP of technology, CTO, etc.?

Thanks in Advance
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of broodp4 broodp4
Damn engineersrock. That's 2 years down the drain. Well at least ur finally doing something ur passionate about. Although eventually you will question ur decision to do engineering, when the prof keeps writing stuff on the blackboard, and u have no idea what the hell he's on about. That happened to me, a LOT. But if u stay strong and study like there's no tomorrow then you will get your reward. A B+...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@broodp4 wrote
Damn engineersrock. That's 2 years down the drain.

In economics, we call that a "sunk cost", and treat it as though it was no cost at all because there's nothing one can do about it, other than recover.

If you're going to live for 80 years and work for 40, 2 years is nothing to ensure you're doing something you love for the next 40.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of broodp4 broodp4
My guess is that engineersrock is @ UofT. I mean its simple deduction.

1. Shulich is at York, and York is def not a top engineering school. OUT
2. Western got Ivey but their engineering meh. OUT
3. Same with Queens. OUT
4. Waterloo doesnt even have a business school. OUT
3. Ryerson certainly isnt a top business school. OUT
4. Macmaster business is very average as well, and def not a top b-school. OUT

So with the information provided to us by engineersrock we can safely assume that he is currently at ROTMAN business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@broodp4 wrote
My guess is that engineersrock is @ UofT. I mean its simple deduction.

1. Shulich is at York, and York is def not a top engineering school. OUT
2. Western got Ivey but their engineering meh. OUT
3. Same with Queens. OUT
4. Waterloo doesnt even have a business school. OUT
3. Ryerson certainly isnt a top business school. OUT
4. Macmaster business is very average as well, and def not a top b-school. OUT

So with the information provided to us by engineersrock we can safely assume that he is currently at ROTMAN business.

I'd say Queens is decent. A tier below UofT and UW but better than the rest in Ontario.
Was this helpful? Yes 0