yconic - BBA/Math vs AFM-FM
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

BBA/Math vs AFM-FM

A photo of TerryWang TerryWang
Hey guys

I got accepted into BBA/Math double degree at the Waterloo campus, and AFM-FM at Waterloo campus, and I'm just deciding which program to accept!
I know that BBA/Math is probably a more prestigious, with it being a double degree and everything, but its 5 years. I think I'm leaning towards AFM because it has a smaller workload, and I know a lot more about the program.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! THANKS :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0
27 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
How quickly do you pick up mathematics? You need to be fast for BBA/BMath, or you will spend all your time studying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
Whats your end goal? AFM is more limiting in your options for the future. But if youre set on finance/accounting then AFM is a good choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I want to do finance, but the thing is, people keep telling me that for any job i can get with AFM, i can get with double degree =/

And I would say I'm alright at math, but i'm not sure the extent of university math, and how difficult it gets...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
If you can and like the math, DD will give you way more options in finance (But not as much in accounting).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I don't understand how it'd give me MORE options? All it provides me with is a Bachelor's of Business Administration? And while we're on that.. isn't business administration dealing with like, managing a company, and stuff like that?

how is it possible that it can give me MORE options than waterloo's financial management program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@TerryWang wrote
I don't understand how it'd give me MORE options? All it provides me with is a Bachelor's of Business Administration? And while we're on that.. isn't business administration dealing with like, managing a company, and stuff like that?

how is it possible that it can give me MORE options than waterloo's financial management program?

AFM is an accounting focussed program. Most of the courses you have to take are accounting related. Thus, you are somewhat limited to pursuing an accounting designation (most likely your CA) and then branching out form there.

The way that the DD gives you more options is that you have 2 things.
1. A BMath - you can do any job that a normal math sstudent could do
2. BBA - you can do any job a normal business student can do

The BBA at Laurier is not about how to 'manage' a company. Yes that is a portion, but Laurier has mandatory courses in each aspect of the business. You aren't limited to accounting (though you have to take some accounting courses) Instead, you could pursue Human Resources, or Finance, or Marketing or pretty much anything else. No matter what you pick though, you will have some background in every sector of the business. This flexibility gives you more options.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@North wrote

@TerryWang wrote

AFM is an accounting focussed program. Most of the courses you have to take are accounting related. Thus, you are somewhat limited to pursuing an accounting designation (most likely your CA) and then branching out form there.

The BBA at Laurier is not about how to 'manage' a company. Yes that is a portion, but Laurier has mandatory courses in each aspect of the business. You aren't limited to accounting (though you have to take some accounting courses) Instead, you could pursue Human Resources, or Finance, or Marketing or pretty much anything else. No matter what you pick though, you will have some background in every sector of the business. This flexibility gives you more options.

AFM is not solely focused on accounting (it is Accounting and Financial Management). They have changed the program structure and the mandatory courses, with a greater emphasis on finance. If you choose to specialize in finance, there will be many great courses that you will take, with fewer accounting courses. Waterloo has been working hard to give students more finance options, and is slowly building their reputation in the finance area.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@g93 wrote

@North wrote

@TerryWang wrote

AFM is not solely focused on accounting (it is Accounting and Financial Management). They have changed the program structure and the mandatory courses, whith a greater emphasis on finance. If you choose to specialize in finance, there will be many great courses that you will take, with fewer accounting courses. Waterloo has been working hard to give students more finance options, and is slowly building their reputation in the fianance area.

That is true, but the point still holds that Laurier's BBA will give more options in other aspects of business such as marketing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@North wrote

@g93 wrote

@North wrote

@TerryWang wrote

AFM is not solely focused on accounting (it is Accounting and Financial Management). They have changed the program structure and the mandatory courses, with a greater emphasis on finance. If you choose to specialize in finance, there will be many great courses that you will take, with fewer accounting courses. Waterloo has been working hard to give students more finance options, and is slowly building their reputation in the finance area.

That is true, but the point still holds that Laurier's BBA will give more options in other aspects of business such as marketing.

Certainly, I was just expanding on Waterloo and finance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ YES
thank you

finally, somebody who recognizes that AFM isn't just accounting. now if only the people giving me advice knew that!

g93, what's your personal opinion? I know you're probably going into public accounting, but how do you feel AFM's finance portion compares with that of a BBA/Math's finance portion?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@TerryWang wrote
^ YES
thank you

finally, somebody who recognizes that AFM isn't just accounting. now if only the people giving me advice knew that!

g93, what's your personal opinion? I know you're probably going into public accounting, but how do you feel AFM's finance portion compares with that of a BBA/Math's finance portion?

What area of finance are you looking to head into?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
AFM may give you a decent business/finance background... but if you're in PA, to make the program worth it, you're going to have to spend all your coop terms in Public Accounting (Audit and Tax), and you'll most likely be continue that for at least 14 months.

Regardless of the education or the relationship between accounting and finance, you're still going to be pigeon-holed no matter what.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

investment banking, consulting, CFA?
any of those seem interesting, but i know that in general, i want to be working with money :D

being a CA isn't bad too, i suppose
i guess i'm just slightly averted towards auditing, it seems boring...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@TerryWang wrote
any of those seem interesting, but i know that in general, i want to be working with money :D

Do you want to do a lot of work? Would you prefer to have a little more time for ECs and free time? Do you like math? Are you good at it? Did you write, the Euclid and what was your score? Do you like paying lots of tuition?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@TerryWang wrote
I want to do finance, but the thing is, people keep telling me that for any job i can get with AFM, i can get with double degree =/

And I would say I'm alright at math, but i'm not sure the extent of university math, and how difficult it gets...

A BBA lets you do HR, Marketing, strategic management, supply chain management etc. You have to remember theres more then just accounting and finance in business. AFM doesn't open those doors for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@TerryWang wrote

Do you want to do a lot of work? Would you prefer to have a little more time for ECs and free time? Do you like math? Are you good at it? Did you write, the Euclid and what was your score? Do you like paying lots of tuition?

whoa.... making something sound bad there?
i got a 60/100 on euclid
i'd like to have more time for EC's, yes, and in terms of math, i guess i don't HATE it..
but i would like less difficult concepts =/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@TerryWang wrote

@g93 wrote

@TerryWang wrote

whoa.... making something sound bad there?
i got a 60/100 on euclid
i'd like to have more time for EC's, yes, and in terms of math, i guess i don't HATE it..
but i would like less difficult concepts =/

Maybe AFM-FM would be better for you.

My thinking is that the program's is improving mightily in the finance area, and you will be the first group through with the new finance courses. I think it could be good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FunnyBone FunnyBone
I scored a 70 on the dot for the Euclid - do you guys think I'd be able to keep up with the workload in DD?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wu wu
im also choosing between AFM-FM and math/business DD

im okay at math, i find it fascinating, although im only getting 89 in AP calculus and only got 66 on Euclid

I kinda want to become a CA, but not 100% sure.

which should I choose?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@FunnyBone wrote
I scored a 70 on the dot for the Euclid - do you guys think I'd be able to keep up with the workload in DD?

The Euclid is not necessarily a strong indication of how well you will do in university math. Although if you do really well I'm sure you will do fine, and if you do extremely poorly I'm sure it could be an issue.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm on the waterloo website, and I just found this

http://saf.uwaterloo.ca/afm/AFM%20Course%20Sequence%20APRIL%202010.pdf

All students entering university this september are considered class of 2015? or 2016? because doesn't AFM take a bit longer to complete?
It seems that from the Class of 2016 course schedule, it only gives us two co-op work terms.. anybody know about this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@TerryWang wrote
I'm on the waterloo website, and I just found this

http://saf.uwaterloo.ca/afm/AFM%20Course%20Sequence%20APRIL%202010.pdf

All students entering university this september are considered class of 2015? or 2016? because doesn't AFM take a bit longer to complete?
It seems that from the Class of 2016 course schedule, it only gives us two co-op work terms.. anybody know about this?

4A is offered in fall, winter or spring, and you will have 1 study and two work terms in these three terms.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

that means there's less co-op money coming in? WTF???:!: :!: :!:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@TerryWang wrote
that means there's less co-op money coming in? WTF???:!: :!: :!:

Wait, what?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

you just said there was less co-op terms right? so less co-op terms means that you're getting less money from co-op in general =/
Was this helpful? Yes 0