yconic - BC student attending Ontario Uni
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

BC student attending Ontario Uni

A photo of paulliwali paulliwali
So I am a BC student mostly likely attending Uoft and will probably need the assistance of OSAP. However I am not too familiar with some terminology and process and hope to get everything cleared up here.

So I know there is something called UTAPS offered by UofT and to my understanding it is like a supplement to the OSAP?

When do I apply for OSAP and how? Should I apply now or wait until I have made the decision on OUAC which university I will be attending first? and do I apply OSAP through the BC Student Loan?

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of heesoup heesoup
I think you have to be an Ontario student to apply for OSAP...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
Yep I think so too.
I'm in the same situation as you, or will be if I ultimately go to U of T.
You can apply for student loans here in BC, but you won't get all the grants.
You'll get the loans from the federal government, but you won't get the provincial assistance since you aren't studying in BC anymore.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@cyynthiia wrote
^
Yep I think so too.
You'll get the loans from the federal government, but you won't get the provincial assistance since you aren't studying in BC anymore.

That's unfortunate. I know that OSAP can cover me even if I wanted to go study at UBC...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@heesoup wrote

@cyynthiia wrote
^
Yep I think so too.

That's unfortunate. I know that OSAP can cover me even if I wanted to go study at UBC...

That's what my counselor tells me anyways..
But then again, she can be wrong.. like she is half the time.
I was just looking through the U of T 2011-2012 handbook actually and there's a section on the UTAPS. That you can apply for if you're going to U of T. It's for all Canadian citizens/permanent residents.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks for the heads up

So if I want to go to UofT it would be Federal loan + UTAPS to cover the rest incase the federal loan is not enough?

O gawd, summer job here I come.

btw cynthia we have to meet up if we end up going to UofT, you helped me in basically all of my threads. =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@paulliwali wrote
thanks for the heads up

So if I want to go to UofT it would be Federal loan + UTAPS to cover the rest incase the federal loan is not enough?

O gawd, summer job here I come.

btw cynthia we have to meet up if we end up going to UofT, you helped me in basically all of my threads. =)

You're very welcome, glad I could be of assistance. ;)
Yeppp, that sounds about right.. but you don't have to apply for student loans for another few months.. just a month or two before you attend U of T.
Haaaa - summer job for me too. :( But it'll be good to have extra money, better than no money.

ARE U ASKING ME OUT ON A DATE?
;) ;)
I'm kidding. =D
Orly? Have I? I post so much that I don't even realize.
But yeah sure - that would be great. The more friends the merrier, especially in a new place. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote

You're very welcome, glad I could be of assistance. ;)
Yeppp, that sounds about right.. but you don't have to apply for student loans for another few months.. just a month or two before you attend U of T.
Haaaa - summer job for me too. :( But it'll be good to have extra money, better than no money.

ARE U ASKING ME OUT ON A DATE?
;) ;)
I'm kidding. =D
Orly? Have I? I post so much that I don't even realize.
But yeah sure - that would be great. The more friends the merrier, especially in a new place. :)

yes, but I don't know if I can control myself not to buy random things off the internet when I have money laying around...

lol no....=S
yeah thinking about going to a place not knowing anyone makes me nervous.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@paulliwali wrote

yes, but I don't know if I can control myself not to buy random things off the internet when I have money laying around...

lol no....=S
yeah thinking about going to a place not knowing anyone makes me nervous.

That's why you don't get a credit card.
Or don't set up a PayPal account.
I came close to it, but decided not to because of that same reason.

Yeah, I was just kidding dw.
LOL.
Really? That makes me excited, getting to meet different people from every corner of the country.
:D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote

That's why you don't get a credit card.
Or don't set up a PayPal account.
I came close to it, but decided not to because of that same reason.

Yeah, I was just kidding dw.
LOL.
Really? That makes me excited, getting to meet different people from every corner of the country.
:D

too late, its just that there is nothing to support the two as of now..but thats destined to change in summer =D

you are weird!!! lol, thats good, I wish I had an outgoing personality like that...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So bad.
Gotta learn to resist temptation if you're gonna go into debit pretty soon.

Yeah, I'm very outgoing. :P
I love meeting new people.
I'm not very loud... but once I get to know someone, I'm not shy for sureee.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

but but... I don't know what you like but tell me if this http://www.kinektdesign.com/product-gear-ring.php is not cool. if it didn't cost a house, I would have brought it in a heartbeat.

I am not exactly the most out going, but not that shy..and talkative once close.
anyhow I have this grad trans that our school makes us do, feels odd to tell another person on a forum that I won't be replying...lol usually convos don't go this fast on forums.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Eh that looks too masculine for me.
But I do need a ring.
I wish I could buy a house for 165... I'd have 10+ houses by now LOL.

It's okay.
I have Grad Transitions too.
Have fun!
:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0