yconic - Be brutally honest...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Be brutally honest...

A photo of lolcostco lolcostco
What are my chances at getting into Waterloo Computer Engineering?
Overall average of... 82.

Calculus: 91
Advanced Functions: 79
English: 77
Chemistry: 70
Physics: 80
Computer Science: 95

AIF: Student Council, Yearbook, various school clubs holding exec positions, strong performance on Canadian Computing Competition... high marks on other computer/engineering related courses...

Thanks in advanced. :/
[size=2]if it helps, I'm a female. lolol.[/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Need minimum 75% in any prerequisite course
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arviny arviny

@iRamie wrote
Need minimum 75% in any prerequisite course

Wow never heard of that, thought it was 70.
Anyways the chemistry mark is still a dead weight, killing the average. Highly doubt an offer will be sent even in the end of may, there's simply way too much competition for limited space.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Required courses

Advanced Functions
Calculus and Vectors
Chemistry
English (ENG4U)
Physics
A final grade of at least 70% is normally required in each of these courses

-From their site

and yeah, that entire chem class was a failure. :P
class average of 54, and it feels as if we didn't learn a thing...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of sdey22 sdey22
Yeah I don't get why people are saying Waterloo requires a minimum of 75% in their prerequisite courses. Everywhere I've read about waterloo, officially, it says a minimum of 70% :S

Maybe I'm wrong..maybe Waterloo likes to lie...who knows?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@sdey22 wrote
Yeah I don't get why people are saying Waterloo requires a minimum of 75% in their prerequisite courses. Everywhere I've read about waterloo, officially, it says a minimum of 70% :S

Maybe I'm wrong..maybe Waterloo likes to lie...who knows?

I remember checking last year and they actually DID have a minimum requirement of 75 in each pre-requesite.
Lucky me they changed it? haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX
You should get in....since you are a girl. There ain't many girls (close to none) in the engineering faculty.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@blurX wrote
You should get in....since you are a girl. There ain't many girls (close to none) in the engineering faculty.

Waterwoo is a Sausage Fest basically?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@iRamie wrote

Yeah, OKTOBERFEST!!!!!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@g93 wrote

@iRamie wrote

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Im gunna tell my parents im not going there caz of this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@iRamie wrote

@blurX wrote

Only for the engineering faculty..you would see less girls in upper years for Math faculty as well. However, I am pretty sure that there are more girls in math than in engineering. Nonetheless, there are more girls than guys in other faculties..so don't worry..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
You can accomplish anything you put your mind to. Never say never. Never consider the possibility of failure; as long as you persist, you will be succesful. The biggest failure is not trying. You will succeed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@blurX wrote

Only for the engineering faculty..you would see less girls in upper years for Math faculty as well. However, I am pretty sure that there are more girls in math than in engineering. Nonetheless, there are more girls than guys in other faculties..so don't worry..

Yah and TBH there it isn't a big deal caz your not gunna be spending ALL your time with the guys right?
Right? :\

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
You can accomplish anything you put your mind to. Never say never. Never consider the possibility of failure; as long as you persist, you will be succesful. The biggest failure is not trying. You will succeed.

Thanks Aristotle
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@iRamie wrote

@g93 wrote

@iRamie wrote

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

g93, from what I heard from one of the first year math/ca student, the boy/girl ratio in AFM101 is pretty much the same..though you would expect less girl in science/math/engineering courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@iRamie wrote

@blurX wrote

Yah and TBH there it isn't a big deal caz your not gunna be spending ALL your time with the guys right?
Right? :\

Well..if you are social and likable...I don't see why you wouldn't get chance to hang out with girls.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@iRamie wrote

Thanks Aristotle

You're welcome, my son. If you ever want overly rosy and unrealistic advice, just ask me. I'm a firm believer in getting your hopes up and then failing. Better than getting realistic advice to steer a person in the right direction and actually accomplish things.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@iRamie wrote

Thanks Aristotle

You're welcome, my son. If you ever want overly rosy and unrealistic advice, just ask me. I'm a firm believer in getting your hopes up and then failing. Better than getting realistic advice to steer a person in the right direction and actually accomplish things.

LOOLOOLOLOL This forum kills me nd makes my day sometimes.
Classssssssssicccc
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@blurX wrote

@iRamie wrote

@g93 wrote

@iRamie wrote

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

g93, from what I heard from one of the first year math/ca student, the boy/girl ratio in AFM101 is pretty much the same..though you would expect less girl in science/math/engineering courses.

That is correct, there is a fairly even distribution. The same can't be said for the rest of the campus (mainly sci/math/eng)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@g93 wrote

@blurX wrote

@iRamie wrote

@g93 wrote

@iRamie wrote

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

That is correct, there is a fairly even distribution. The same can't be said for the rest of the campus (mainly sci/math/eng)

Damnit i wanna go to university soo badly. Especially for Waterloo comp science, no studying needed LOL. Its math, you just show up and pass using your common sense and a bit of thinking ;).
Stupid high school hmwk is killing meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of HopefulUniGirl HopefulUniGirl
wow. you have messed up views of university. we still have pointless assignments.. ones for actual marks.

and as the voice of actual facts and not pointless conjectures some real statistics from 2008

girls make up 44% overall.
40.2% of math student are girls
and finally only 16.7% are in engineering.

and its really easy to hang out with people in other faculties. During day and around test time which makes up most of the time i do prefer to hang out with my eng friends to study together but you can go out of your way to hang out with waterloo's small percentage of soscis
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@blurX wrote

@iRamie wrote

@g93 wrote

@iRamie wrote

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

The accounting program actually has more girls than guys, believe it or not.

@HopefulUniGirl wrote
wow. you have messed up views of university. we still have pointless assignments.. ones for actual marks.

and as the voice of actual facts and not pointless conjectures some real statistics from 2008

girls make up 44% overall.
40.2% of math student are girls
and finally only 16.7% are in engineering.

and its really easy to hang out with people in other faculties. During day and around test time which makes up most of the time i do prefer to hang out with my eng friends to study together but you can go out of your way to hang out with waterloo's small percentage of soscis

I don't buy this. Links please.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
If you kids actually go to waterloo you would know there are a lot of females. They all just happen to be in science and arts programs. PS I am a girl in Engineering so based on what i've seen - there are always a couple girls in every eng discipline. chem eng has quite a few. comp eng has very few, in my discipline there are around 15 for my year, a lot less for upper years.

if you really want to go out and meet girls, it's pretty easy through residence and clubs. if youre going into engineering though, you'll be having classes with the same 120ish people everyday so it's difficult to meet other ppl in that sense.

there are quite a few girls in science actually, many girls wanting to do grad school. there are also quite a few in math, a ton of Fobs though. engineering has the least still, deal with it : )
Was this helpful? Yes 0