yconic - Becoming a Physician/Surgeon How-To
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Becoming a Physician/Surgeon How-To

A photo of CalgaryStation6 CalgaryStation6
Hello,

To make it quick. I am just curious as to how to go about becoming a physician or surgeon. Say I want to go to U of T. Would the first step be going to a life science? And getting a BSc title? Then I would need to pass an Mcats? And after that I seem to be a little flustered.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of nadia93 nadia93
To gain entry into medical school, you’ll need to complete a minimum of 2 to 3 years of undergraduate university education. This includes the successful completion of several required science courses. Students in Quebec can apply to medical school after completing a CEGEP program. A lot of people I know who want to be doctors are doing undergraduate studies in bio, biomed sciences, health science, kinesiology, nursing, pharm etc. But don't get discouraged if you like arts because you can also do that and just take bio, chem and physics (?) courses.

Because admission to medical school is very competitive, most applicants have a bachelor’s degree—the minimum requirement of some schools—and some even have a master’s degree. Generally, those applicants with the highest marks have the greatest chance of being accepted. However, many schools also consider things like character, leadership qualities, and extracurricular activities.

Medical school takes 4 years to complete, and leads to a Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree. After the MD is obtained, graduates must complete a residency program in a medical or surgical specialty. Residencies are periods of practical, on-the-job training that take place in hospitals or other medical settings.

Most residencies last between 2 and 7 years, depending on the area of medicine. For family physicians, the residency period is usually 2 to 3 years in length. Doctors who want to specialize in a particular area such as surgery, pediatrics, psychiatry, or anesthesiology must complete a 4 to 7-year residency.

All doctors must successfully complete the Medical Council of Canada’s (MCC) qualifying exams and be licensed by the appropriate province or territory. They must also pass certification exams in their specialty administered by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC).

Surgeons complete the same basic training as other doctors.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zacharyyoung zacharyyoung

@CalgaryStation6 wrote
Hello,

To make it quick. I am just curious as to how to go about becoming a physician or surgeon. Say I want to go to U of T. Would the first step be going to a life science? And getting a BSc title? Then I would need to pass an Mcats? And after that I seem to be a little flustered.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

You seem to be on the right track.

You need at least 3 years of undergrad experience, most pursue a bachelor's degree (usually 4 years). You don't need to do life sciences...as long as you take a program you're passionate about and want to do well in, and also get the med school prerequisite courses done, you're free to study in any program you wish.

To get into med school, you are correct, you need to take the MCAT test and obtain competitive scores on top of top notch marks and extra curricular experience. Different med school consider these elements differently.

Med school takes four years to complete, and you can take another 1-2 years to specialize if you wish. Then you must do a residency, which is on-the-job training in your field. Physicians are in this process for a few years, while surgeons take 5-6 years to complete their residency.

Feel free to ask any other questions if you have any :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ShelleyWatson ShelleyWatson
Becoming a surgeon or a physician is an extensive process. First you have to complete 4 years of graduation from a university. Then next is completing 4 years in medical school with good grades. As good grades can only give the opportunity of internship and residency from good medical school. This internship and residency program would be related to the specialty you want to do, say surgeon or physician or anything else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0