yconic - Best accounting program?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Best accounting program?

A photo of leaves02 leaves02
Which Canadian university do you think has the best accounting program? Please talk about its accounting reputation within Canada and internationally.
I'm thinking of Waterloo AFM, what do you think?
Does anyone know how good is Waterloo's finance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
29 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
1) Waterloo
2) Queen's
3) Sculich
4) Laurier BBA
5) Ivey
6) Rotman
7) Brock
8) UTSC
9) UTM
10) McMaster

Waterloo is good for finance, but not for jobs at the top firms. That is almost exclusively Ivey and Queen's, and even McGill or Schulich.

Edit: I guess that's Ontario. McGill and Sauder have to fit in there somewhere, anywhere from 3-6 or something. And maybe SFU?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I don't think Queens has the accounting reputation to match either Schulich or Laurier.
Rotman should definitely be on the list and Brock should be higher up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dxb2ont wrote
I don't think Queens has the accounting reputation to match either Schulich or Laurier.

Queen's has the highest UFE pass rates and is arguably the second most known/prestigous program in Canada (next to Ivey).

I forgot Rotman. New I missed someone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

Queen's has the highest UFE pass rates and is arguably the second most known/prestigous program in Canada (next to Ivey).

I'm strictly talking in terms of Accounting. There is no denying Queens is one of the best overall business programs. Schulich has an equally high pass rate of around 95% but more of their students write the UFE. Laurier has the best UFE honour roll stats and gold medals. This is a list from someone who ended up in Queens Commerce and was on these forums last year.

For Accounting:

1. AFM-PA (UW)
2. WLU Co-op BBA
3. Schulich
4. Brock Bacc.
5. Rotman
6. Queen's
7. Ivey/UTSC co-op management
8. UTM
9. UTSC management
10.McMaster
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dxb2ont wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

I'm strictly talking in terms of Accounting. There is no denying Queens is one of the best overall business programs. Schulich has an equally high pass rate of around 95% but more of their students write the UFE. Laurier has the best UFE honour roll stats and gold medals. This is a list from someone who ended up in Queens Commerce and was on these forums last year.

For Accounting:

1. AFM-PA (UW)
2. WLU Co-op BBA
3. Schulich
4. Brock Bacc.
5. Rotman
6. Queen's
8. UTM
9. UTSC management
10.McMaster

I am going through for accounting, and applied to what I felt were the top 4 programs: Waterloo AFM-PA, Queen's Commerce, Schulich BBA and Laurier BBA.

There is no way Ivey and QC are lower than Brock. I mean ~30% of students at both schools pursue accounting/CA designation, and they are widely considered the top two programs in the country. You can't do that when 30% of your students are in a mediocre accounting stream.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of A23C A23C

@johnnycanuck wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

For Accounting:

1. AFM-PA (UW)
2. WLU Co-op BBA
3. Schulich
4. Brock Bacc.
5. Rotman
6. Queen's
8. UTM
9. UTSC management
10.McMaster

I am going through for accounting, and applied to what I felt were the top 4 programs: Waterloo AFM-PA, Queen's Commerce, Schulich BBA and Laurier BBA.

There is no way Ivey and QC are lower than Brock. I mean ~30% of students at both schools pursue accounting/CA designation, and they are widely considered the top two programs in the country. You can't do that when 30% of your students are in a mediocre accounting stream.

I was accepted to both AFM-PA and Schulich, where should I go for accounting.. I hear AFM-PA is the best for job opportunities and overall and more prestigious program
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This is not my ranking as I would find it very difficult to decide.
Brock was considered a top program for Accounting on these forums last year and maybe that is why it has influenced the list.I was looking at past UFE pass rates and a talking point has to be how Queens,Schulich and Laurier have done better than Waterloo!
Where are you headed from those 4?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dxb2ont wrote
This is not my ranking as I would find it very difficult to decide.
Brock was considered a top program for Accounting on these forums last year and maybe that is why it has influenced the list.I was looking at past UFE pass rates and a talking point has to be how Queens,Schulich and Laurier have done better than Waterloo!
Where are you headed from those 4?

Either QC or Waterloo AFM-PA, I am just waiting on Fellowship interviews and other scholarships. I probably wouldn't be considering QC as much if not for the Chancellor's scholarship.

My thought process:

Schulich: excellent program, but crappy campus and dull atmosphere so I would prefer not to spend 4 years of my life there if possible
Laurier: great program, co-op, lacks prestige/rep, great atmosphere, I live in the area and many of my friends are going there, always known about it, hot white business girls, but lacking that oomph (not the girls)
Queen's: excellent program, maybe not as well-known for accounting but the second best program in the country, lots of networking events and great carrer centre, Goodes Hall is gorgeous, and the Chancellor's scholarship
Waterloo: the most prestigious accounting program, excellent co-op program, direct entry to the MAcc after BAFM, can skip two exams, lots of Big 4/CATO jobs, slightly limited, live in the area and have known about it for years, campus atmosphere is meh

@ A23C - I would choose AMF-PA if I were you. You can see my reasoning^
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I agree with dxb2ont and johnnycanuck, but I do believe Queen's and Ivey should be higher in dxb2ont's list. So...
1. AFM-PA (Waterloo)
2. Laurier with Co-op BBA
3. Schulich
4. Queen's
5. Ivey
6. Rotman
7. Brock Accounting (whatever it's actually called)
8. UTM/UTSC. (relatively close so i'll call it a tie ;))
10. McMaster

Mind you this is strictly for accounting and this list would be greatly changed for something such as finance.

@johnnycanuck wrote
Schulich: excellent program, but crappy campus and dull atmosphere so I would prefer not to spend 4 years of my life there if possible
Laurier: great program, co-op, lacks prestige/rep, great atmosphere, I live in the area and many of my friends are going there, always known about it, hot white business girls, but lacking that oomph (not the girls)
Queen's: excellent program, maybe not as well-known for accounting but the second best program in the country, lots of networking events and great carrer centre, Goodes Hall is gorgeous, and the Chancellor's scholarship
Waterloo: the most prestigious accounting program, excellent co-op program, direct entry to the MAcc after BAFM, can skip two exams, lots of Big 4/CATO jobs, slightly limited, live in the area and have known about it for years, campus atmosphere is meh

Basically agree with everything said there, but to the OP, I just want you to know that my list is based solely on academics. (I really dislike Schulich as well and can't see myself being there for 4 years)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote
I agree with dxb2ont and johnnycanuck, but I do believe Queen's and Ivey should be higher in dxb2ont's list. So...
1. AFM-PA (Waterloo)
2. Laurier with Co-op BBA
3. Schulich
4. Queen's
5. Ivey
6. Rotman
7. Brock Accounting (whatever it's actually called)
8. UTM/UTSC. (relatively close so i'll call it a tie ;))
10. McMaster

Mind you this is strictly for accounting and this list would be greatly changed for something such as finance.

@johnnycanuck wrote

Basically agree with everything said there, but to the OP, I just want you to know that my list is based solely on academics. (I really dislike Schulich as well and can't see myself being there for 4 years)

If you take the campus life, setting, atmosphere/environment into account Queens, Laurier and Western are much better places to be at then York, UofT or Waterloo. It is important to take these factors into consideration as you will be spending your next 4 years there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dxb2ont wrote
If you take the campus life, setting, atmosphere/environment into account Queens, Laurier and Western are much better places to be at then York, UofT or Waterloo. It is important to take these factors into consideration as you will be spending your next 4 years there.

+ 1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Don't waste your time ranking all of them, but I'll tell you the top 4 in which you can't go wrong: Schulich, Waterloo & Laurier. Schulich & Waterloo are known though, Laurier has high UFE scores...my choice would be Schulich because: You can choose something other than accounting, plus it has the highest reputation among these, job at big 4 too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@waazup wrote
I'll tell you the top 4 in which you can't go wrong: Schulich, Waterloo & Laurier.

Anyone else see a problem with this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

+ 1

Yeah, I didn't really take Waterloo's campus life into account since I will not be living on rez if I go there so it doesn't really affect me. But I did for the others (except Laurier, same as Waterloo, although I did note a couple of the perks)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PaperPen PaperPen

@johnnycanuck wrote

@waazup wrote
I'll tell you the top 4 in which you can't go wrong: Schulich, Waterloo & Laurier.

Anyone else see a problem with this?

+1 :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@dxb2ont wrote

For Accounting:

1. AFM-PA (UW)
2. WLU Co-op BBA
3. Schulich
4. Brock Bacc.
5. Rotman
6. Queen's
8. UTM
9. UTSC management
10.McMaster

This.

UFE pass rate means very little. Some of the UFE training is done by your employer...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kiddinaround wrote
This.

UFE pass rate means very little. Some of the UFE training is done by your employer...

You can't write the UFE if you are not at an employer whom is registered with ICAO (aka CATO)

And if you don't pass the UFE, you don't become a CA, which means 45 k forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
Honestly, it's accounting. While it's nothing to laugh about, a motivated individual should have no problem finding accounting jobs because of the high turnover rate. If you can, stick to one of Queen's, Schulich, Waterloo, or Laurier, but don't worry about the specifics. Any accredited target school will provide you with the same opportunities for accounting, school prestige and alumni networks aren't as important in accounting.

@johnnycanuck wrote

@kiddinaround wrote
This.

You can't write the UFE if you are not at an employer whom is registered with ICAO (aka CATO)

And if you don't pass the UFE, you don't become a CA, which means 45 k forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if serious? What does not being able to write the UFE have anything to do with what he said? Also, you aren't going to stay at 45k if you don't become a CA, however, many firms require you to obtain your CA so you may lose your job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

@kiddinaround wrote
This.

wtf?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote
Honestly, it's accounting. While it's nothing to laugh about, a motivated individual should have no problem finding accounting jobs because of the high turnover rate. If you can, stick to one of Queen's, Schulich, Waterloo, or Laurier, but don't worry about the specifics. Any accredited target school will provide you with the same opportunities for accounting, school prestige and alumni networks aren't as important in accounting.

@johnnycanuck wrote

@kiddinaround wrote
This.

Not sure if serious? What does not being able to write the UFE have anything to do with what he said? Also, you aren't going to stay at 45k if you don't become a CA, however, many firms require you to obtain your CA so you may lose your job.

He is clearly defending Brock.

I do realize that (although some actually will, but there is opportunities to 1) re-write the UFE (duh) and 2) Increase wage and responsibility. But you aren't going to crack 100k easily (very very small chance, not going to do it in an accounting role).

And yes, losing your job would definitely suck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kiddinaround wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@kiddinaround wrote
This.

wtf?

Can you not read?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@kiddinaround wrote
This.

wtf?

Can you not read?

I don't think you really know what you're talking about
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kiddinaround wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@kiddinaround wrote
This.

wtf?

Can you not read?

are you esl?

No, are you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

KK. I am choosing betweent Queen's Commerce and Waterloo-FM. I see many of you specified PA for Waterloo Accounting in the list, but really, the difference b/t PA and FM is just the co-op places right? Since students learn the same things in both streams, both streams should be looked at equally in terms of Waterloo's reputation for accounting right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

KK. I am choosing betweent Queen's Commerce and Waterloo-FM. I see many of you specified PA for Waterloo Accounting in the list, but really, the difference b/t PA and FM is just the co-op places right? Since students learn the same things in both streams, both streams should be looked at equally in terms of Waterloo's reputation for accounting right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0