yconic - Best and worst university campuses
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Best and worst university campuses

A photo of junior21 junior21
Of the ones I've been to (York, UTSG, UWO, Queen's, Mac, UW)..York has the worst, Western has the best imo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
45 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Of the ones I've been to (York, UTSG, UWO, Queen's, Mac, UW)..York has the worst, Western has the best imo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@inthemaking wrote

Yeeee Western! ;) Obviously biased here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
My favourites are Queen's and UTSG.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Only seen four, and I'd rank them McGill > U of T > UBC > SFU.

I felt McGill was the perfect balance of a distinct campus and urbanity. I hear Queen's is really nice, but I haven't been able to see it yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@Respects wrote
Ive been to Waterloo and there was nothing about it I liked other than the fact that if I go there I'll have so many chicks falling over me because Im the exact opposite of socially awkward.York was definitely better.

LOLLLLLL
:compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Best: Queen's, Guelph (food), Laurier

Worst: York

Waterloo somewhere in the middle, closer to worst but not quite that bad
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
Guelph!!!! The fooood!!! :chef:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of meghie meghie
MCGILL!! I'm biased... but the campus is awesome. We are right downtown and there is tons to do. A wide open field for sports and relaxing, at the foot of Mount Royal. All the residences are close. And when you move out of rez into a house/apartment, the "ghetto" is one minute away from campus. The ghetto is where all the student housing is haha, and where I'm living next year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Palisades Palisades
McGill! I was so set on U of T for all the logistical reasons until I visited McGill. It's perfect - a nice closed off "pedestrian-only" campus in the middle of downtown Montreal. Not to mention the beautiful mountain behind it... It's just the perfect mix of everything. And, they had a little skating rink out front for students. I'm clearly smitten.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo
I've only visited these 3

1) McGill

Montreal's a beautiful and very cultural city. I like that McGill is like a 'city within a city'. The McGill Campus is gated in the centre of Montreal so all the buildings are together, giving the sense of community. The walk from one side of McGill's campus to the other is ~20 minute walk. You get the feeling of the McGill community IN montreal as opposed to McGill scattered randomly throughout Montreal. Once you get out of the campus, you're in the centre of downtown, ready to go shopping/clubbing/etc.

2) Queen's

Beautiful campus, but there's not much to do away from it.

3) U of T

Lots of things to do but I don't like how the University is scattered throughout the city and sort of 'blends in'. Unlike McGill, U of T doesn't stand out from the city.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
The McGill campus isn't pedestrian-only.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
I visitted western, mac and uw, and it's pretty obvious the order LOL.

Even though Western was nicer, i liked the vibe of mac though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maritimevalley maritimevalley
From the ones I visited:

1.Queen's
2.Mcgill
3.Dalhousie
4.Laurier

Loved the atmosphere at Queen's. The town really revolves around the campus, and you could feel the sense of pride and school spirit. Not to mention the style of the buildings and the state of the art facilities
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jenifertruong jenifertruong
I've only been on a tour at the University of Guelph but I absolutely loved it there! The atmosphere was great, a very down to earth feeling. You felt like you were at a home..away from home. There are some beautiful buildings and it has amazing food.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of meghie meghie

@Zion wrote

Yes it is, there are only a few service vehicles that drive around. Definitely not enough that you have to "look before you cross the street" or anything. Also, bikers are required to dismount their bikes and walk them.

It only takes 10-15 minutes to get across campus, depending on how fast you walk :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@meghie wrote

@Zion wrote

Yes it is, there are only a few service vehicles that drive around. Definitely not enough that you have to "look before you cross the street" or anything. Also, bikers are required to dismount their bikes and walk them.

It only takes 10-15 minutes to get across campus, depending on how fast you walk :)

The center of campus around the Arts building is mostly pedestrian-only, but cars still drive up that road. And there are lots of streets that cut across the campus outside the core.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
1. Western
2. UBC
3. Queen's
4. UTSG
5. McGill

6. York.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of meghie meghie

@Zion wrote

@meghie wrote

@Zion wrote

The center of campus around the Arts building is mostly pedestrian-only, but cars still drive up that road. And there are lots of streets that cut across the campus outside the core.

I'd say the campus is mostly pedestrian only though. I have classes all over campus and it is rare that I see cars. There is a parking lot beside the Wong Building and almost all the other cars are service vehicles. Buildings like 688 Sherbrooke and the residences are obviously not pedestrian only. Compared to a school such as U of T or Western, we have far fewer vehicles.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@meghie wrote
Compared to a school such as U of T or Western, we have far fewer vehicles.

Agreed. I just thought it was misleading to imply that the entire campus lacked vehicles.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Palisades Palisades

@Zion wrote

@meghie wrote

Agreed. I just thought it was misleading to imply that the entire campus lacked vehicles.

http://publications.mcgill.ca/reporter/2010/09/campus-now-a-%E2%80%98walk-bike-zone/

obviously you can't have no cars, because a university needs supplies and stuff delivered among other things, but it's pretty much as close as you get. I don't think it was misleading.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Palisades wrote

@Zion wrote

@meghie wrote

http://publications.mcgill.ca/reporter/2010/09/campus-now-a-%E2%80%98walk-bike-zone/

obviously you can't have no cars, because a university needs supplies and stuff delivered among other things, but it's pretty much as close as you get. I don't think it was misleading.

"Lower Campus"

As I said, this is only a part of the campus. A lot of it is still intersected by streets.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
I've been to three: UBC, UVic, and SFU.

SFU's campus is bad -- really, really bad. It looks like a prison. I wanted to cry.

UVic is very pretty but all the hippies striding past on their bicycles with dreads flowing through the wind sort of ruined the atmosphere for me. I also don't like Victoria, or the island for that matter. Oh well.

UBC's is the best I've seen so far. The campus is aesthetically-pleasing and the buildings are beautiful, especially the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre. I also like how it's far enough away from downtown to have a distinct UBC feel but still close enough to be in the action.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mikey12y mikey12y
Ive only been to guelph, damnit I need to go to more but guelph was pretty sick and as everyone stated their food. A crazy amount of variety and places to eat anywhere on campus, fast food, restaurants, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of crayzwalz crayzwalz
from what I seen when I went to Montreal, McGill was right downtown, and St-Catherines is amazing at night.

York is at like keele and steeles where there is literally nothing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0