yconic - Best BBA degree brand recognition
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Best BBA degree brand recognition

A photo of Imikulate Imikulate
Most people seem to ask what the best school for x is. Often people like to respond with "They all teach the same stuff!". Yes, it is good universities fulfill their purpose and teach you something. Instead, I have come here to ask you what Canadian business school has the best "brand recognition" among employers, especially in marketing. I realize that getting into a good school is hard, doing well in university is hard, and getting a good job is hard. So why not kill three stones with one bird and get a degree from an institution whose name is like a cherry on top? Something that employers will look at and say "I must have this charming young man interview me!".

So, what Canadian business school do you think is the most prestigious?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
Ivey/Queen's are the most prestigious, York is a bit below that.

UT Rotman and UBC Sauder are below York and everything else is below that.

For accounting, UWaterloo offers some great programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Serendipity wrote

Mostly this, but I think UBC Sauder is a little underrated on here.

McGill Desautels probably follows, and Laurier, and then the others.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vincerz vincerz
There's no school out there with that kind of brand recognition you're looking for.

Don't be a typical foolish naive high school student.

No one's going to interview you ONLY BECAUSE of the school you went to, especially for undergrads (grad programs like law schools may be a different story).

The only difference is the different opportunities, such as networking with better peers, more recruitment etc.

Of course it is possible depending on your locus of control and views on ethical behaviour in the work place that there may be very slight biased perceptions based on a school "brand" - such as if your possible employer is an alumni at your school they may perceive you as a more successful candidate - though HR management at good firms usually have policies to prevent this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imsyed imsyed

@Imikulate wrote
Most people seem to ask what the best school for x is. Often people like to respond with "They all teach the same stuff!". Yes, it is good universities fulfill their purpose and teach you something. Instead, I have come here to ask you what Canadian business school has the best "brand recognition" among employers, especially in marketing. I realize that getting into a good school is hard, doing well in university is hard, and getting a good job is hard. So why not kill three stones with one bird and get a degree from an institution whose name is like a cherry on top? Something that employers will look at and say "I must have this charming young man interview me!".

:scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@imsyed wrote

@Imikulate wrote

:scratch:

Nice catch.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@vincerz wrote
There's no school out there with that kind of brand recognition you're looking for.

No one's going to interview you ONLY BECAUSE of the school you went to, especially for undergrads (grad programs like law schools may be a different story).

The only difference is the different opportunities, such as networking with better peers, more recruitment etc.

Of course it is possible depending on your locus of control and views on ethical behaviour in the work place that there may be very slight biased perceptions based on a school "brand" - such as if your possible employer is an alumni at your school they may perceive you as a more successful candidate - though HR management at good firms usually have policies to prevent this.

This is mostly true, but I think there is some bias. If you narrow it down to two candidates who are very similar, and one went to UOIT or Ryerson and the other Ivey or Queens, you'd have to think that may give them an edge. Maybe may not be intentional, but it could bias the employer to picking the second candidate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Imikulate Imikulate

@vincerz wrote

Of course it is possible depending on your locus of control and views on ethical behavior in the work place that there may be very slight biased perceptions based on a school "brand" - such as if your possible employer is an alumni at your school they may perceive you as a more successful candidate - though HR management at good firms usually have policies to prevent this.

That would be a pretty useful thing, worth going to a particular school for. Plus, you have to admit that there would be some bias, even if employers tried to restrict this sort of bias. I don't expect a fancy school to give me a job, I expect a fancy school to act like a shiny piece of jewelery, something extra to add whatever bias it will to your favor. Also, people at "top" schools are likely to be more successful (even if only because of a more competitive admission process), not a bad lot to make some friends from.

PS. Oh darn, someone caught my stone birding!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin

@g93 wrote

@Serendipity wrote

Mostly this, but I think UBC Sauder is a little underrated on here.

McGill Desautels probably follows, and Laurier, and then the others.

Yeah, people over here often don't even know what Ivey is, while Sauder and even Rotman are very well recognized. I mean, to go to 2nd year alone in Rotman you need a 3.3 GPA on the bell curve.. so roughly 15-20% of the kids make it from year 1- to year 2. Plus with all those smart people making up the curve, you're truly something if you come out of there with a high GPA.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin

@vincerz wrote

I hear this too much...

Given that two people have similar characteristics, experience, and whatnot, and we have a Bcomm from some uni you've never even heard of, and one from Rotman.. which one would you, as an employer, hire?

And besides, not everyone gets to easily grad out of Rotman/Queens, etc... Ide personally hire the student knowing that he/she must be something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancecubed dancecubed

@forthewinwin wrote

@vincerz wrote

I hear this too much...

Given that two people have similar characteristics, experience, and whatnot, and we have a Bcomm from some uni you've never even heard of, and one from Rotman.. which one would you, as an employer, hire?

And besides, not everyone gets to easily grad out of Rotman/Queens, etc... Ide personally hire the student knowing that he/she must be something.

I think he's pointing out that the university you're attending doesn't matter as much as your actual involvement. There are different opportunities that each school has within their facilities that relate to different career goals.

If I could go back a year and choose a university all over again, I would choose the university that gives me the most opportunities relating to internships, co-op positions and quality of organizations pertaining to what I'm majoring in

Brand recognition is one thing, getting yourself recognized is another.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jungeon jungeon

@Imikulate wrote

Too many idiots in this forum. Basically you have feeder schools in Ontario and some with nation wide reach. For Ontario the feeder schools are
-queens
-schulich
-ivey
-uft
Outside of that
-McGill
-ivey league american school
and thats it as far as ontario goes.
The best school in Ontario for marketing is probably schulich because they have special relations with many marketing firms and post a dispropotionate amount of their grads into marketing positions. Ivey tends to do the same but for finance and banking grads, uft not to good for that but an A student from UFT can get into any firm if he has the personality at the interview and queen's students are in the same place as ivey and schulich but in the weak spots (that is a A student from queens has as good as a chance of getting an ibanking job as a A student from Schulich or the same chances as a B+ student from ivey heading for marketing.)

I can say that schulich has professors who actually put on the shows/marketed for Michael Jackson so yeah when it comes to that and accounting Schulich is #1 for feeding students into jobs. You can have a B- and still get interviews but if you want finance/cosulting go to ivey, they place better for those things.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic

@forthewinwin wrote

The true answer to that is "I'll interview both."

And people aren't the same in an interview so the employer will be make a decision there.

@jungeon wrote
I can say that schulich has professors who actually put on the shows/marketed for Michael Jackson so yeah when it comes to that and accounting Schulich is #1 for feeding students into jobs.

Source?
Was this helpful? Yes 0