yconic - Best business programs in the country? Your thoughts and advice :)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Best business programs in the country? Your thoughts and advice :)

A photo of MightyJJ MightyJJ
Hey Guys, I am a grade 11 student going into grade 12 and im debating as too which business/accounting/commerce programs I should apply for. I'm a high 80's to a low 90's student and I want to get into the best possible programs so I could maximize my chances of getting a good job. My goal is to get a CA Designation and I have a list of universities that i'd like to go to: Mcgill, Western, Queens, and Waterloo.
I'd also like to get into a program and university that offer's foreign exchange programs and is recognized internationally. It would be greatly appreciated if you guys can suggest to me any programs, or offer advice as to which programs to apply for.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Didn't you just post this exact same thread just with different wordings?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@immaculatedx wrote
Didn't you just post this exact same thread just with different wordings?

lmao
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yea sorry guys, for some reason. it wouldn't let me post on my original thread D:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
All 4 schools you listed are perfect for what you want. You could also add Schulich onto that (with iBBA) if you so desire.

Deciding which is the best is hopeless and will only cause flamewars.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
What interests you most in business? (i.e. finance, accounting, HR, marketing, etc.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of whysocurious whysocurious

@MightyJJ wrote
Hey Guys, I am a grade 11 student going into grade 12 and im debating as too which business/accounting/commerce programs I should apply for. I'm a high 80's to a low 90's student and I want to get into the best possible programs so I could maximize my chances of getting a good job. My goal is to get a CA Designation and I have a list of universities that i'd like to go to: Mcgill, Western, Queens, and Waterloo.
I'd also like to get into a program and university that offer's foreign exchange programs and is recognized internationally. It would be greatly appreciated if you guys can suggest to me any programs, or offer advice as to which programs to apply for.

Waterloo accounting is hardest to get into as far as straight accounting is concerned and probably your best best for heading into that field. It's co-op and it gets you that CA designation all that much faster. Waterloo has that great international reputation as well however if you're really interested in foreign exchanges, McGill and Queen's are where you wanna go. Queen's is heavily recruited for accounting, so that may be a good choice. If you're really looking into working out of the country, you can't go wrong with having McGill Commerce on your CV. Hope that helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of whysocurious whysocurious
oh and hate to say it but... Schulich which you I don't believe you mentioned has the best of all worlds in terms of what you're looking for... Very strong in accounting, international reputation is amazing, and the have great exchanges as well. For you, I'd go with that or Waterloo maybe, but anything else wouldn't make sense to me given your desired path!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle
Apply to Schulich and have it as an option.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
When I first started looking into business programs, the teachers I asked all said either Queen's or Schulich. Schulich if ur going into accounting...and queens for general business. When researching a bit more I learned about different programs but I still believe the schools my teachers mentioned are the best.

So yea I think Schulich and Queens are the best business schools in Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So you Guys are saying that if I have plans to work abroad in Asia or something in the future (not just Canada), you would recommend McGill over top tier business programs in Canada? Even when McGill business program is their weakest faculty?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@cliffhanger33 wrote
So you Guys are saying that if I have plans to work abroad in Asia or something in the future (not just Canada), you would recommend McGill over top tier business programs in Canada? Even when McGill business program is their weakest faculty?

The weakest faculty in the strongest school in the country though.

McGill is a great business school (maybe not THE best but one of). Plus many McGill students will tell you it's not the weakest faculty. I think lampshade has mentioned that?

^^ Well if you're being told by your teachers, I wouldn't really consider that advice. No, Schulich and Queens are both excellent programs. But if they don't mention Ivey, you have to consider what they actually know. I know my guidance counsellor a few years ago sat down with me and "planned my future" (not under my suggestion). The business/accounting programs she recommended were Laurier (good), Waterloo AFM (great) and Western BMOS (no mention of Ivey). I think she recommended Carleton too but I said no.at least she was closer with engineering, as she said anything Waterloo (obviously), or Uoft, Queen's and Mac.

Any of Western/Ivey, McGill, Schulich, Queens and Waterloo AFM are top-tier programs, with mcGill sometimes beinggrouped with Laurier and Rotman as "really good second-tier" or "almost top-tier".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

+ 1

If you wanna work in Asia, UofT would be really good too because Toronto and McGill are generally the two most known Canadian schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

+ 1

If you wanna work in Asia, UofT would be really good too because Toronto and McGill are generally the two most known Canadian schools.

If you want to work outside of Canada in the future, pick the school you feel would provide you with the best career options IN CANADA, havign better jobs on your resume will make you much more likly to get a job abroad rather than the school you went to for undergrad in canada.

simple reason being that, most people dont move out of the country right out of uni, they work in the country for a while and apply later or try to transfer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What QCman said was definitely logical.

Seems like a lot of factors to consider though.
I checked up online and McGill's business faculty is quite reputable actually.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@QCman wrote

@Username81 wrote

@g93 wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

+ 1

If you want to work outside of Canada in the future, pick the school you feel would provide you with the best career options IN CANADA, havign better jobs on your resume will make you much more likly to get a job abroad rather than the school you went to for undergrad in canada.

simple reason being that, most people dont move out of the country right out of uni, they work in the country for a while and apply later or try to transfer.

well said
Was this helpful? Yes 0

• University of McGill
• University of Western Ontario
• University of Queens
• University of Waterloo

^So the universities listed above are the one's im interested in applying for. I'm interested in the business/accounting/commerce (Don't know the difference) programs at these universities and I was wondering if each of the universities only had 1 program, or multiple? I want to know all the programs in relation to business that these universities offer so I could decide which programs to apply for.
Thanks for all your help :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MightyJJ wrote
• University of McGill
• University of Queens
• University of Waterloo

^So the universities listed above are the one's im interested in applying for. I'm interested in the business/accounting/commerce (Don't know the difference) programs at these universities and I was wondering if each of the universities only had 1 program, or multiple? I want to know all the programs in relation to business that these universities offer so I could decide which programs to apply for.

First of all, that's a VERY difficult selection, so I advise you to put some back up schools in there just in case.

Waterloo - Statistically you'll need high marks, write a great...paper (forget what it's called lol), and have good EC's. Easy to get reject.

UWO, and I'm assuming Ivey - Good EC's, and good marks. Marks alone will not carry you through (I speak from experience lol)

Queen's - Like Ivey, good EC's and good grades, but more importantly a GREAT PSE.

McGill - Needed at least a 93 this year I believe, maybe 91 or 92. Regardless, need super high marks.

So I'd apply to some back-up schools such as Schulich, and Laurier BBA. Maybe Rotman at UofT if you feel like it too lol.

You said you don't know what the difference between business/accounting/commerce is. If you go to Waterloo you're going to be an accountant lol. Ivey, you'll probably go to finance. Queen's it doesn't really matter (finance, accounting, marketing, etc.) because it's strong all round. McGill is like Queen's in that sense too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@MightyJJ wrote
• University of McGill
• University of Queens
• University of Waterloo

posted this before.

@g93 wrote

Waterloo has AFM-PA, which is excellent, and then there is Math/CA and Biotech/CA that require 95s to get in basically. All three are great but there's no real chances to study abroad as the program is filled with lots of content (few electives) and has co-op terms in between. Might be tough to do a dual degree.

Western doesn't have much outside Ivey. If you do Ivey (possibly a dual degree) it might be good (although I would recommend QC or Loo) BMOS is just meh. Certainly not elite. Ivey is expensive for what you get (this is for accounting only). There are exchanges, but people don't want to go while in Ivey since that's 1/4 of your time there gone. I think you can do one while in Western, 2nd year, but it doesntseem to be popular so there must be a reason behind it, although I have no clue what that could be.

McGill Desautels Management is great, and also has an awesome campus. You would be far from home in Montreal, which is almost an exchange in itself. You might want to look into how it works getting your CA in another province though. McGill is fairly cheap and I elieve has exchange opportunities. There could be options for a dual degree.

Queens's Commerce is a great program. There are many exchange opportunities (80% of 3rd year students go on an exchange or something). The only thing to watch is that you probably won't get any CA credits while on exchange, so you would lose your summer making up that time, which means no internships one year. Queens has a long list of transfer schools. Take a look on their website.

Really you can't go wrong with any of these. Consider all your options and choose the one that feels right for you.

I would be deciding whether or not you are positive you want to go into accounting. If you are, then Waterloo is definitely one of your best options, if not the best. If you are unsure, one of the other schools may be better. You will get exposed to other career paths more so than you would in AFM and it will keep your options open. If you began at QC wanting to become a CA and ended up falling in love with marketing then you could switch easily. Not as much at Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0