yconic - Best college for Law?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Best college for Law?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I am currently a HS senior planning to study graduate Law after college. I've heard that law schools look for a high GPA (and high LSAT score) irrespective of the undergraduate college. If this is true, which of the following offers would be the best option for my undergraduate studies? (Unfortunately, the best ones here are known for forcing lower class averages.) Fees and location don't matter and I'm planning to major in Poli Sci (because I'm actually good at it).

UBC (known for grade deflation)
U of Alberta
Ryerson
York
McMaster
Carleton
Waterloo
Queen's
U of Toronto (known for grade deflation)
UCLA (known for grade deflation)

Furthermore, if these options are not realistic for getting into a top-tier LS, should I consider accepting an offer from Bristol (in the UK) for an LLB instead? This is despite Bristol being a lower-ranked university compared with some of the others above and would be a change in career path for me, obviously.

Thanks a lot in advance!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Carleton is your best choice for political science - you're right in the centre of Canadian politics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MCLeBlanc MCLeBlanc
Out of those choices, UBC and UofToronto are supposed to be the best for poli sci. That being said, if you're looking for top tier law, the grade deflation shouldn't effect you. If you're not pulling high enough marks at UBC or UofT to get into top tier law, you don't deserve that top tier law school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MadSalty MadSalty
College....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sylvia14sabat sylvia14sabat
Western University is good as well as trinity college also nice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK
Bristol is a good uni and well respected in the UK, it's also a great student city... but it's not generally considered one of the 'best' for something such as law, probably outside the top 10 nationwide and so I'm not sure it would be worth coming to the UK for compared to other top unis in Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
Go to lawstudents.ca

Ask that question. I can tell you now that you'll hear "go where you want and study what you want"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OliviaWagner OliviaWagner
Loyola university, Chicago is a private law school located right in the centre of Chicago. It offers many options and has become a compelling choice for many students wishing to study the law in America.
Was this helpful? Yes 0