yconic - Best courses to take during AEO1 & AEO2?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Best courses to take during AEO1 & AEO2?

A photo of joeyzs2 joeyzs2
I'll be in Econ with AEO status this fall and I was wondering if anyone knows how many electives you're allowed to take and which courses would you recommend considering AEO students have to maintain 80%+?

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of ceeps ceeps
Came across this site. I just finished 2nd year Western/BMOS with 80+ avg so I thought I could help out. Go to the UWO Academic Calendar and see what you have to take in first year. You should have like a couple electives. The following are easy courses:

First Year:
Comp Sci (1032 i think, its the one with html and excel, really easy)
Math 1228 (take it with Olds, guaranteed 90+ if you go to class)
Econ Micro and Macro (these courses are pretty easy if you took econ in high school)
Conceptual Physics (I didn't take this personally but heard its easy)

Second Year:
Psych 2080 (nobody attends it cause its a night class, but if you get decent notes, 85+ should be attainable)
Law 2101 (Lots of reading but only 2 mc tests and its a full year course - do the readings for the two tests and 80+ is easy)

Hope this helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joeyzs2 joeyzs2
Thanks a lot ceeps. Very informative and congrats on your 80%!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
ceeps come back!

Is BMOS actually frowned upon? Did you have any reservations entering it? How were your last two years as a whole, were you able to find employment easily after your first and second year? My main worry is that I don't believe BMOS has access to Ivey's alumni network, so you don't really reap the benefits of Ivey and it's more of just a waiting bay for two years.

I'm a huge promoter of waiting and patience, but after looking at BMOS' courses, they lean so much on the social science aspect of things and not so much on the technical side of business that I'm accustomed to. Did you find that this was a problem? Do Ivey grads have any disadvantage when it comes to the technical side of things at the end of four years?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mvplayur mvplayur

@onlymatthew wrote
ceeps come back!

Is BMOS actually frowned upon? Did you have any reservations entering it? How were your last two years as a whole, were you able to find employment easily after your first and second year? My main worry is that I don't believe BMOS has access to Ivey's alumni network, so you don't really reap the benefits of Ivey and it's more of just a waiting bay for two years.

I'm a huge promoter of waiting and patience, but after looking at BMOS' courses, they lean so much on the social science aspect of things and not so much on the technical side of business that I'm accustomed to. Did you find that this was a problem? Do Ivey grads have any disadvantage when it comes to the technical side of things at the end of four years?

Why wouldn't you have access to Ivey's alumni network after 4th year when you graduate from Ivey? Or do you mean after 1st and 2nd year? The MAJORITY of Ivey students are in BMOS, so I'm sure access to alumni won't be a problem.

I kind of feel the same way you do too. I'm interested in doing Psychology or MIT, but I'm just afraid about maintaining the 80. Why I am leaning towards sticking with BMOS, is because at the end of the day, I am confident I'll maintain an 80 and get admitted to Ivey. Even though I won't have the option of doing a double degree, an IVEY HBA, is good enough on its own.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ceeps ceeps

@onlymatthew wrote
ceeps come back!

Is BMOS actually frowned upon?
-Is it frowned upon by Ivey admissions -- no, im pretty sure they don't care as long as u keep ur 80 and a life outside of school. Is it frowned upon by other students - no, nobody really judges.

Any reservations?
-A few.
I wondered a little about keeping an 80. However, if you can't keep an 80 in your first two years, you probably don't deserve to go to a top business school.
I had some reservations that Western would really be too much of a party school. Don't get me wrong, I like to party but I had some reservations that it would be too much. It turned out to be a great experience in the first two years. You work hard, you play hard and you develop lasting relationships with people across all faculties.

How were my last two years as a whole?
-Great, 10/10! Couldn't ask for more out of a university experience.

Were you able to find employment easily after first and second year?
-Yes. Don't get me wrong, its difficult. But its difficult at any school. I secured employment this summer at a boutique investment bank in Toronto (my home). You have to hustle, but just put Pre Ivey on your resume and it definitely makes a big impact.

Access to Ivey Alumni network - Is Ivey a waiting bay for two years?
-The internet is probably the biggest alumni directory over the first two years. Just do some creative googling. Ivey alumni are all over -- especially in investment banking. Call these people. Email them. Try to have coffee with them and you will hit some who will take you on for the summer. University is what you make of it. If you choose to goof off at university, its going to be a waiting bay no matter where you are. The 2 + 2 system is a great opportunity to explore your other interests besides business and really get involved in the Western Clubs community, volunteer, etc.

BMOS Courses lean on the social aspect. Do you find this is a problem?
-There are lots of courses you can take at Western. Personally, I was in BMOS but I only took 1 BMOS course in first year and half a BMOS course in second year. The real courses are Biz 1220, 2257. You can take some challenging calculus and stats courses. There are some actuarial sciences courses available to BMOS students that people I know have taken. Personally, I dabbled in a few stats courses, some law courses, the business courses and even psych courses. Businesses nowadays want well rounded people, so why not take courses that challenge different dimensions of your abilities.

Do you find Ivey grads have a disadvantage when it comes to the technical side of things?
-If there is one criticism I hear from Ivey grads is that sometimes they are taught to the skills to become great executives and not always to become great employees. This being said, the command that Ivey grads have over some of the technical sides of Finance and Accounting is unbelievable. You've probably heard this speil 1000 times but rather than learning from a textbook like some schools, your applying skills directly to cases. You're not learning to memorize aspects of some managerial theory. You're learning to critically analyze situations on a daily basis, which you will learn to love in Biz 1220 and Biz 2257.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ceeps ceeps

@mvplayur wrote

@onlymatthew wrote
ceeps come back!

Why wouldn't you have access to Ivey's alumni network after 4th year when you graduate from Ivey? Or do you mean after 1st and 2nd year? The MAJORITY of Ivey students are in BMOS, so I'm sure access to alumni won't be a problem.

I kind of feel the same way you do too. I'm interested in doing Psychology or MIT, but I'm just afraid about maintaining the 80. Why I am leaning towards sticking with BMOS, is because at the end of the day, I am confident I'll maintain an 80 and get admitted to Ivey. Even though I won't have the option of doing a double degree, an IVEY HBA, is good enough on its own.

Do whatever you feel passionately about. BMOS does give you the opportunity to take lots of different courses, so you could take some Psych courses for instance while still in BMOS. That being said, if you really wanted to do MIT, you should just do it. People I know who are in it really like it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0