yconic - Best GPA for law school
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Best GPA for law school

A photo of cbishop cbishop
I'm currently trying to decide between Queen's, Western, and UofT for social sciences. Queen's is my ideal school, but I've heard that it's easier to get a high GPA in soc sci at Western. Does anyone know in this is true? I'm aiming for law school so this is really important!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
It's impossible to know which school is "easier". To do that you would have to have the same person take the same program at each university simultaneously somehow without the knowledge gained in one program affecting the performance in the other. See how impossible it would be to measure?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of americanbeauty americanbeauty
I applied to the same schools as you and have the same career aspirations as well! I've heard that it's easier to get a high GPA at Western, but the question is how much easier? And is the trade-off worth not going to a school you know you'll be happy at? I fretted for months over this too. I ended up choosing Queen's because if I chose Western I'd probably waste a lot of my time regretting not going to my ideal school. I've also heard Queen's isn't incredibly hard, all you'll have to do is work a little harder for your marks and you'll get a good GPA. Good luck in making a decision! It's tough!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
Exact same situation as both of you. I honestly feel like the difference between Queen's and Western in terms of GPA is negligible, especially if you take into account that you're much more likely to succeed in an environment that you love.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ariadne89 ariadne89
What social science do you want to major in specifically?

I can't really speak to the grading at Western, but overall my impression is that it's fairly comparable to Queen's.

It's possible to have a good GPA at Queen's in arts/social sciences, but pretty difficult. Honestly, I wouldn't obsess over it too much in your first year. Most people do fairly mediocre in their freshmen year, and then bring their GPA up a lot in upper years. Law schools and grad schools typically only look at your last two years or your in-major GPA.

If you tell me what specific major you are hoping for I can probably give you more info, but generally in most arts majors, only about 10% of students in the program make the Dean's Honour List (ie. 3.5 GPA, about an 80% or higher average). I'm sure you've been told this already, but if you come to Queen's, be prepared for a serious drop in your grades. Every single student here got 90s back at their high school, and now no one will get grades like that. High 70s and low 80s are very, very good grades here at Queen's in certain disciplines. In most of the large first-year survey courses in arts/social sciences, the class average at the end of the year is around 65-68%, which means that a majority of students are only getting grades in the 60s and 70s and very few are getting 80%+.

That's why truly the best advice I can give you is to not stress too much about grades until you've been here for a year or two. I'm not saying not to try your hardest - you should work hard and give it your best, but don't focus too much on the number. In first year focus more on picking up the skills you'll need for university - note-taking, university-level writing skills, exam study skills, etc as well as getting involved in the community so that you don't go nuts. You can always find ways to bring your GPA up, but developing university-level skills are key.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cbishop cbishop
Awesome, thanks for the advice everyone.

Ariadne, I'm considering majoring in either psych or health studies, and doing a minor in french. I know you're not in either of those programs, but I'd love to hear anything you've heard about them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@Lawstudent1 wrote

+1. Although I do see many Western and Queens graduates at the top law schools. Whether this is due to the caliber of the students or simply because more students at those schools are interested in law, is up for debate ;) I went to Mac first year and they had similar grading curves,averages in Political Science and Philosophy were ranging in the mid-60's.

Just out of curiosity, do you find the grading curve to be much different at York?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cbishop wrote
Awesome, thanks for the advice everyone.

Ariadne, I'm considering majoring in either psych or health studies, and doing a minor in french. I know you're not in either of those programs, but I'd love to hear anything you've heard about them.

You're very welcome. Psych is the perfect example of a class that is positively brutal in first year, but then the program becomes somewhat easier in upper years once they've weeded out the slackers. I haven't taken it myself, but everyone I know who has taken PSYC 100 says that it's one of the hardest first-year arts courses. I had a number of friends in the class back when I was in first year, and they were great hard-working students, yet they struggled enormously just to maintain grades in the high 60s/low 70s in that class. The first test came back with an average in the 50s. However, all of the lecturers are really well liked from what I hear, and to make up for the difficulty of the class you get to participate in some really fun stuff like research studies. All PSYC 100 students have to sign up for the department's subject pool, and then complete a certain number of hours as subjects in research studies run by grad students (you get extra credit for doing this). I've heard about some crazy studies people participated in, haha. So that's pretty fun. Basically you just have to study as hard as you can, know the textbook really well, and not skip class, and you should do ok. If you get through first-year and continue with the program, it will definitely get easier and you'll also get to do a lot more of the cool courses like social psychology, abnormal psychology, etc. in upper year.

How hard French is pretty much depends on your skill in the language. If you're fairly fluent, then obviously it won't be too hard, but if you're just starting with the language then you'll have a lot to learn. None of the languages here are easy, but I wouldn't say that they are that hard either as long as you keep up with the homework and don't slack off. Definitely a great minor to have, especially for summer jobs and stuff.

I don't think we have a health major. If you're thinking life sciences, then it's fairly hard from what I hear. You have to study all the time.. lifsci kids pretty much hog the library, haha. The first two years in life sci tend to just be very heavy on memorization and regurgitation, but you have a huge amount of info to learn so it's still hard. If you're thinking of phys ed/kines, I would rank that as quite a bit easier than either lifesci or psych, just judging by the people I know in the program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Actually, I stand corrected. I just checked, and apparently we do have a major called health studies. Oddly enough, I've never really heard much about it, nor do I know anyone in the program, so I'm sorry but I can't comment too much on that one. I know a lot of people who are in kines, but never had anyone tell me they are a health major.
Was this helpful? Yes 0