yconic - Best INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT program in Canada????
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Best INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT program in Canada????

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Which ones best??? and what could you do with this degree after...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
You most definitely have to go to graduate school and/or get experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I've heard Waterloo has one, but I'm not sure how good it is:

http://www.shapetheworld.uwaterloo.ca/

They also have a section of possible careers here and Masters programs if you're interested:

http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/indev//careers/

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bulletxstar bulletxstar
university of ottawa and university of toronto scarborough campus has an excellent international development studies co-op program.
i'm not sure about the uofottawa one, but i know for utsc they only have 20 spots
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of francesj23 francesj23

@bulletxstar wrote
university of ottawa and university of toronto scarborough campus has an excellent international development studies co-op program.
i'm not sure about the uofottawa one, but i know for utsc they only have 20 spots

- thanks a lot for sharing this info. will do check on utsc...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of treecows treecows
Guelph - very large focus on environmental sustainability
McGill - very focused on the theoretical side - lots on economics and politics. Very based on the like policy side of development.

I go to Queen's and i'm majoring in Global Development Studies. Its an unique program since it's one of the few that truly focuses on development. If it was "based" on something, it'll probably be history (1950's onwards) and also sociology/cultural studies. Basically looks to study how the 3rd world came to be, and what role the global north has or should have to create a sustainable future. Lots on the political economy and the role of international institutions. Also, a lot of our faculty specializes in aboriginal studies, so that has kind of been built into our program as well. It's very development based, which you don't find at Guelph or McGill, which are from my perspective the other most popular development programs. The program is also really small - 50 majors, 50 medials and 20 minors.

I plan on going to grad school after my degree, but there are opportunities that only require a BA. I want to become a development coordinator overseas for an NGO, which only requires a BA. Eventually I want to transition into corporate social responsibility.
Was this helpful? Yes 0