yconic - Best job for high school students?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Best job for high school students?

A photo of athrunxo athrunxo
What do you guys think is the best job for high school students?

I personally would like to work at cineplex or any other movie theater because it would allow me to watch free movies :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0
39 replies

A photo of Starstruck Starstruck
I don't know where you live, but I've worked at Canada's Wonderland for the past two summers and it's a pretty great gig for high school students. You need no experience, you work weekends during the spring and fall and 4-5 days a week in the summer for full shifts. I make a lot more money in a summer than most of my friends, and there are a lot of promotion opportunities, too. Highly recommended. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@athrunxo wrote
What do you guys think is the best job for high school students?

I personally would like to work at cineplex or any other movie theater because it would allow me to watch free movies :P

If you work at a movie theatre, then you'll likely have to work really late on school nights because the last screening is around 10:00pm - 10:30pm

When I worked at Cineplex, I always got home past midnight and sometimes my homework wasn't done LOL

But yeah, you do get to watch movies for free =D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23
McDonald's is always a classic
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Retail or restaurants.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
I'm working in an accounting department :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster

@g93 wrote

What, where?! At like some little store or some home office business probably?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@thecookiemonster wrote

@g93 wrote

Ha ha, no. The company actually does millions and millions of dollars of business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster

@g93 wrote

@thecookiemonster wrote

@g93 wrote

Ha ha, no. The company actually does millions and millions of dollars of business.

WTF no way man i highly doubt that. even if its true how did you manage to get that and why would they take a hs kid?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imaklutzzz imaklutzzz
Hands down, being a camp counsellor/leader is by far the best job a high school student can get. I volunteered at a YMCA summer day camp 2 years ago and loved it so much that I decided to go back to work there as a spring break camp counsellor this year. However, the experience is entirely what you make of it since you're going to have to be super enthusiastic and think on your feet so the kids will, in turn, love and respect you. You'd also need to like working with kids because that's all you'd be doing 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week. It's super rewarding though and the pay is decent. Plus you get paid to have fun! How great is that?!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of simplySimple simplySimple
fast food all the way!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@thecookiemonster wrote

@g93 wrote

@thecookiemonster wrote

@g93 wrote

WTF no way man i highly doubt that. even if its true how did you manage to get that and why would they take a hs kid?

Networking, I have skills and the (slight) possibility of me coming back as a co-op student
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Staples seems like the ideal job location... everything is so clean
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@onlymatthew wrote
Staples seems like the ideal job location... everything is so clean

I just applied there...
Gotta keep my fingers crossed now!

P.S. I absolutely LOVE your signature.
:P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote
Retail or restaurants.

I find that the employees here try to usurp other employees, and then turn condescending.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
Public libraries offer some relatively well-paying opportunities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AlikaK AlikaK

@Keiser561993 wrote
BECOME A LIBRARY PAGE!

Even though the job looks boring, patrons (especially kids who participated in summer reading and playing programs) are mostly nice.

As a library page, there is less stress in persuading and helping patrons. (Unlike in fast food restaurants where you get ripped off by some customers, coworkers and even your supervisor/manager at some point of your experience ).

The good part about this job is that it has simple non sophisticated repetitive tasks. However, other staffs are greedy about themselves (sometimes selfish to divide their job with others) so beware of that.

Anyways, it is a smooth good job to look for this summer!

LIBRARY PAGES REPRESENT!!!! Yes... I agree a library page is an awesome job - boring, yes, but well paying, very much so!!!

Also, I work in a retirement home which is even better pay, and getting paid to play a game of Scrabble and talk to some seniors doesn't even seem like a job!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Something that could be a building block to w/e career you are pursuing.

I worked as a lifeguard and swim instructor and felt that it was an excellent part-time job because it can leveraged as a really good extra curricular activity.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
When I was in Grade 11 and 12 I worked as a bank teller. It was a program offered by the credit union I worked at, where they hired a set amount of highschool students every year. It was great experience. Be sure to keep on the lookout for opportunities that offer you a lot of responsibility and professional training, because it doesn't matter what field you're going into, it helps. I'm in engineering at the moment, but that experience played a huge role in me getting a summer posistion at an oil and gas after first year; you can talk about how you need to keep organized and you are responsible for all your transactions for the day, blah blah blah. Same applies if you were a cashier etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream
High school students should look for administration jobs so that they will experience office environment. I worked as an office assistant in grade 11... it was hard to find an office job in high school but nepotism helps aha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KristiFung KristiFung
I would say Canada's Wonderland. I've worked there for 2 seasons and they have a lot of promotions. Plus you get unlimited entry into the park! (If you like to go there one weekends.) I guess the most reason why people go there is because they give a lot of shifts. A LOT of them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maggie2092 maggie2092
I would say a hardware store is one of the best places to work. I know it sounds really, really lame.. but here are my reasons.

-I have been able to save more money than some of my friends who work at places like MacDonalds or other retail stores. They're always buying stuff from work. What does an 18 year old need at a hardware store? I find that this way I spend less money on things that I don't actually need, so I can put this money towards something useful instead.. like say tuition?

-The hours are sweet. We're only open until 6pm most evenings, which means that during the week I work a realy short shift. But I work every single weekend, and usually end up with a decent pay check at the end of the week. Having a job like this is the only way I'd be able to work throughout high school. It gives me the option to go home, have supper and do homeowrk or study after work.. This can be really challenging at other retail stores which close at 9pm or even later.. This is probably the biggest benefit for me.

People laugh at me when I say I work at a hardware store, but it definitely has it's benefits!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ephemerality Ephemerality

@ARMY101 wrote
Retail or restaurants.

I work at Walmart and I HATE ITTTTTT !!!!!!!
Although I only work Friday after school and the weekends, most managers I've met are horrible lol... (at least for my location)
Friday - often 6 hours shift
Sat and Sun - often 8 to 9 hours shift
during Christmas time they assigned me 9 hours shift until midnight
Other times, they may assign me 6am-2pm shift -______-
After work, I'd go home and study until 3 or 4 in the morning, so now I'm pretty much a living zombie
The only reasons I'm continuing are because it's very close to my home and the pay's $10.40/hr....:bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bulletxstar bulletxstar
i work as a instructor and summer camp leader and i love it!
this year i'm going to be a coordinator!
i work in the summer for 7-9 weeks, 7.5 hours a day (lunch isn't included)
also, during the year i work as a art/drama instructor and a leader too.
lots of opportunities !!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rancy Rancy
As you get older, you shouldn't still be working in a fast food restaurant as a cashier. Those jobs, I believe, are for younger people. When I was in Grade 11 and 12, I was working as a Multimedia Programmer (through the help of co-op). If you want to work at a store and be a cashier, that's fine, but I suggest working at a non-fast food restaurant, because it kind've looks unprofessional on your resume.
Was this helpful? Yes 0