yconic - Best program for a mid 80 student?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Best program for a mid 80 student?

A photo of junior21 junior21
All the ones I've applied to, you could probably apply to if you're interested in accounting.

Rotman Commerce (you probably need at least 86-87 for consideration)
Waterloo AFM-PA (unless your afmaa and aif are amazing, slim chance)
Laurier BBA (86-87 cutoff?; write a good ABS)
UTSC Co-op Management (co-op: 86ish, non co-op: low-mid 80)
UTM Commerce (84+)
Brock Co-op Accounting (co-op with 84+)

In addition to these, probably McMaster Business and Western BMOS are good options too.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Jordan23 Jordan23
All the ones I've applied to, you could probably apply to if you're interested in accounting.

UTM Commerce (84+)

In addition to these, probably McMaster Business and Western BMOS are good options too.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dynast dynast
Assuming you're in grade 12...

It's difficult to extrapolate the necessary information to help you based on your short self description. But here's my interpretation:

1) You're relatively studious
2) You don't know what business field to pursue (accounting vs entrepreneurship)
3) You have 84-86 average

Laurier is a good choice if you're accepted but as you mentioned, you'll want to bump the average up to 87+. It's fairly all rounded, decent reputation and you'll have 4 years to explore your interests.

McMaster also has cutoffs in the mid-80's and will provide opportunities if you work hard. I believe they have specializations in accounting if you want to get a designation.

UTM has a commerce program shared with Rotman commerce. I believe it has lower admissions, they share some professors and it is possible to transfer to Rotman in second year.

There are other programs, but these are just 3 general business programs with mid 80's cut-offs.

Hope this helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LeafsFan16 LeafsFan16
Aim for Laurier, it's a very good school. Even if you don't meet the cut-off, if you are at least within a 3% range (so at least an 84%), then you can still get in if your ABS form is really well-written.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Jordan23 wrote

UTM Commerce (84+)

+ 1

If you are if you want to go into accounting, I would recommend Laurier BBA, as it is probably the best one in there for accounting other than Waterloo and you can choose to do something different than accounting (e.g. marketing, supply chain management, finance, etc.). Unless Rotman floats your boat.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93

@junior21 wrote
How much harder of a program is Lauriers BBA compared to Brocks Bacc? What jobs can I expect to see if I go and get my CA? I'm not sure I'd really want to work at an accounting firm. I'd really like to work in the travel industry because I love to travel and see the world. I was thinking to try applying at a cruise line or something once everythings done. Would I likely get a job?

If you can get into industry for your co-op jobs, it is definitely a possibility (you could also get into public accounting and switch over to industry after). Although I don't know how much travelling you'd do, might just get stuck at head office on a computer. But you could get into industry and find a job where you can travel.

There are places like Bermuda where they offer great positions that pay REALLY well and you can go and work in the Caribbean as a CA. Sometimes they will even have a house for you (rumour), pretty sweet deal IMO.

If you want into co-op at Laurier, you will have to work very hard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93

@junior21 wrote

@g93 wrote

@junior21 wrote
How much harder of a program is Lauriers BBA compared to Brocks Bacc? What jobs can I expect to see if I go and get my CA? I'm not sure I'd really want to work at an accounting firm. I'd really like to work in the travel industry because I love to travel and see the world. I was thinking to try applying at a cruise line or something once everythings done. Would I likely get a job?

If you can get into industry for your co-op jobs, it is definitely a possibility (you could also get into public accounting and switch over to industry after). Although I don't know how much travelling you'd do, might just get stuck at head office on a computer. But you could get into industry and find a job where you can travel.

There are places like Bermuda where they offer great positions that pay REALLY well and you can go and work in the Caribbean as a CA. Sometimes they will even have a house for you (rumour), pretty sweet deal IMO.

If you want into co-op at Laurier, you will have to work very hard.

I was reading up on how CA's often work abroad in tropical locations. How difficult would it be finding a job there though? I imagine you would also need quite a few years work experience before landing a job in Bermuda.

They try and recruit some of the fresh-faced hot-shot CAs, as well as older ones with experience who will work for a number of years and likely begin to retire there. I know one guy who had just got his CA and he got some offer from a place in Bermuda, and the pay was amazing considering he had just got his CA. He was seriously considering it but he decided he would stay a couple more years in Ontario for other reasons and then possibly take a job in Bermuda or similar location.
Was this helpful? Yes 0