yconic - BEST PROGRAM FOR CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

BEST PROGRAM FOR CAREER OPPORTUNITIES

A photo of unibro15 unibro15
Which of these is the best program or career opportunities after undergrad.

Waterloo - Mathematics / Risk Management & Finance/ Math & Business Administration
Western - Science (Major in Actuarial Science)
York - Math for Commerce and Computational Math
UofT - Physical and Mathematical Science (Major in ActSci or Mathematical Finance)
Ryerson - Mathematics and its Applications
McMaster - Mathematics & Statistics (Major in Financial Math)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
To be quite honest, there is no answer to this question. It may be tempting to say that waterloo/U of T are better just because of relative ranking, but really, any graduate from these programs can get a good job, it's all about good GPA (it matters, but not nearly as much as the other stuff) + making connections (very important) + keeping a good resume.

For that matter, I know a harvard graduate who's working in a 40k/year office job, and a UBC graduate who's making big bucks in finance. Am I trying to say UBC is better than harvard? Not at all, if I were accepted to Harvard, of course I'd go no matter what. I'm sure today's average elitist employer will tend to favor the harvard graduates. I'm just saying that going to the big names and the "prestigious programs" doesn't mean everything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alklein alklein
I get the impression that it's better to major in something you like, or are at least content with doing for 3-4 years.

Majoring in something you don't like or find uninteresting, seems to lead to the road of frustration and burnout. Think of all those compulsory classes you had to take in high school which you really hated, and extend that to 3 or 4 years.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
I would say UW just because they have the larget co-op program. However, best career opportunities go to those who work hard and strive hard.

As for programs, I think FARM would be best. At least that's what I thought when I applied for it. However, I can tell you that although this program prepares you well for both the CFA path and PMR path, it is VERY VERY focused, which is why I'm considering going for CFM instead. I think FARM leaves you with less room to change directions if you don't like the program. However, if you are set on either of those two designations, I'd say FARM would provide you with he fastest route to get there which is a huge plus. Just putting the pros and cons out there.

So once again, looking at all the other programs you've applied to which are almost all math related, I'd say UW is best because they're known for having the best math faculty. And again, with co-op, even better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alklein alklein

@Haru wrote
As for programs, I think FARM would be best. At least that's what I thought when I applied for it. However, I can tell you that although this program prepares you well for both the CFA path and PMR path, it is VERY VERY focused, which is why I'm considering going for CFM instead. I think FARM leaves you with less room to change directions if you don't like the program. However, if you are set on either of those two designations, I'd say FARM would provide you with he fastest route to get there which is a huge plus. Just putting the pros and cons out there.

(At the risk of going off topic).

What is the CFA used for?

Is it similar to a CPA or a law license, respectively for the accounting or law professions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@alklein wrote

@Haru wrote

(At the risk of going off topic).

What is the CFA used for?

Is it similar to a CPA or a law license, respectively for the accounting or law professions?

CFA is chartered financial analysis. it's a professional designation similar to CA and CPA except it's more focused on just finance/portfolio investment and less accounting.
refer to CFA institute for more info: https://www.cfainstitute.org/pages/index.aspx
Was this helpful? Yes 0