yconic - Best school for CA?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Best school for CA?

A photo of king0fkings king0fkings
Hey, I tried searching on the boards but couldn't find as much info as I needed so I was wondering what the best school for Chartered Accounting is in out of the options I've listed and why. (Try to exclude Waterloo as I won't get in).

My options right now are
UTSC Co-Op Management
Brock Accounting
Laurier BBA
McMaster Business (specialized in Accounting)
UTM Commerce

(Average is an 89 if it helps)

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of g93 g93
1) Laurier- full business program, fully accredited, excellent co-op program, high UFE pass rates, most UFE Gold Medal Winners, a fair number of Big 4 positions, fair number of CATO jobs, high post-grad employment
2) Brock- good if you are 100% set on becoming a CA, fully accredited, some Big 4 positions, decent co-op program
3) UTSC- not fully accredited but has required hours, excellent program with co-op, UofT name
4) UTM- fully-accredited, poor man's UTSC
5) McMaster- fully accredited, good but not great
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy
Laurier BBA is definately the best on ur list.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
I am in Brock Accounting, and I would rate it second on your list.

U of T Scarborough is the most prestigous of your choices, however it might not be the easiest. I would still rate it number 1 however.

Brock is fully accredited, accounting classes are small and specialized, profs are decent, and it's not really that challenging. Co-op acceptance rate is rather low however (around 40% (NOT THE 90% THEY ADVERTISE)), but it's not impossible to get co-op. It's not as much of a joke degree as people think either (BAcc).

I would not go to Laurier, UTM isn't bad
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kiddinaround wrote

U of T Scarborough is the most prestigous of your choices, however it might not be the easiest. I would still rate it number 1 however.

Brock is fully accredited, accounting classes are small and specialized, profs are decent, and it's not really that challenging. Co-op acceptance rate is rather low however (around 40% (NOT THE 90% THEY ADVERTISE)), but it's not impossible to get co-op. It's not as much of a joke degree as people think either (BAcc).

Why would you not go to Laurier? UTSC isn't even fully accredited btw.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@g93 wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

+ 1
In my opinion, Laurier would be best out of the schools the original poster listed
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
How about that Waterloo Math-CA Accountancy program? They only take in 90+. Is it good?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@waazup wrote
How about that Waterloo Math-CA Accountancy program? They only take in 90+. Is it good?

It is good, it is almost identical to AFM other than the math portion (take same courses and use same building). It is also fully accredited (the MAcc program is, or you can take the diploma program to complete your credits).

There is some debate on whether it is worth it to pursue a math and accounting degree, and have to worry about all the extra work. But it does give you a math degree, but more importantly (and more likely to be used) is the "higher-oorder" thinking that will be developed by taking the math.

If you are really interested in math and excel at it, and are set on becoming a CA, then Math/CA is definitely one of if not the best program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@king0fkings wrote
Hey, I tried searching on the boards but couldn't find as much info as I needed so I was wondering what the best school for Chartered Accounting is in out of the options I've listed and why. (Try to exclude Waterloo as I won't get in).

My options right now are
UTSC Co-Op Management
Brock Accounting
Laurier BBA
McMaster Business (specialized in Accounting)
UTM Commerce

(Average is an 89 if it helps)

Thanks.

I have friends who go to all of those schools, and i go to UTM from what ive heard:
Laurier is best for CA, Accounting focused, co-op is a good plus
Brock is very good for CA, Accounting degree, co-op is a good plus
UTSC is good, will soon become accredited, co-op is a good plus.
UTM Commerce is accredited, very competitive, more CFA focused easily
McMaster is more marketing focused.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream
Laurier all the wayy! with or without co-op.. 90% first time UFE pass rate as mentioned on Laurier Accounting Website
there are also around 45-50 CA co-op positions as mentioned here for your first work term
its the hardest and the best program in your list
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
My top 3 preference would be:

1. UTSC Co-op Mgmt
2. Laurier
3. UTM
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Decisions Decisions
which of these programs is better towards doing a CA?
AFM-FM
BBA at laurier
BBA/Bmath at Laurier
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1

@g93 wrote
1) Laurier- full business program, fully accredited, excellent co-op program, high UFE pass rates, most UFE Gold Medal Winners, a fair number of Big 4 positions, fair number of CATO jobs, high post-grad employment
2) Brock- good if you are 100% set on becoming a CA, fully accredited, some Big 4 positions, decent co-op program
3) UTSC- not fully accredited but has required hours, excellent program with co-op, UofT name

+1

I'd say Laurier is the way to go.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Decisions Decisions
so just the BBA, or the dual?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iDream wrote
Laurier all the wayy! with or without co-op.. 90% first time UFE pass rate as mentioned on Laurier Accounting Website
there are also around 45-50 CA co-op positions as mentioned here for your first work term

Thanks for the document link.

I had a couple of questions regarding the proportion of students entering Laurier BBA to analyze the chances of achieving a Co-op position. How many people enter first year and how many drop out or do not pass? What percentage of the people who make it to second year actually apply to Co-op? from the 600 that do apply how many actually have the required 8.0 GPA (which is subject to increase)?

225-235 make it so that is about 38% of those who apply and around 45 people get CA jobs which I'm guessing is all the people who wanted a CA job to start with. Also do you need a specific GPA to be competitive for the CA job postings?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@g93 wrote

Far too competitive, and the program is not specific enough toward accounting for the prestige of the school. Sure it has a high UFE pass rate, if i cut everyone below an 80 average in the public school system and then issued a literacy test I'd have a high pass rate as well...

U of T prestige will be significant when trying to land big 4 placements. Also, after personally seeing accounting case competitions where U of T, Laurier, Brock, Western, Queens and Trent competeted, the U of T kids were the most arrogant but definitely the most skilled. Teaching quality is definitely there. Also it will be accredited soon, accredited vs non will mean very little in the near future.

Waterloo is still the best school for accounting however.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@dxb2ont wrote

@iDream wrote

I had a couple of questions regarding the proportion of students entering Laurier BBA to analyze the chances of achieving a Co-op position. How many people enter first year and how many drop out or do not pass? What percentage of the people who make it to second year actually apply to Co-op? from the 600 that do apply how many actually have the required 8.0 GPA (which is subject to increase)?

225-235 make it so that is about 38% of those who apply and around 45 people get CA jobs which I'm guessing is all the people who wanted a CA job to start with. Also do you need a specific GPA to be competitive for the CA job postings?

I don't know the exact number of people enrolled in Laurier BBA only. But there are around 1000-1100 enrolled in first year Laurier BBA and WLU/UW DD. During headstart last year, they said only 1/3 makes it to 4th year. I think this is kinda true because from what i can recall there were 350 BBA grads last year. I personally know 15 people who dropped so far. Most of them transfer to York and Ryerson. I heard you need 10+ GPA to get a big 4 interview. I wanted a CA job to start with but looks like its not going to happen.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@dxb2ont wrote

@iDream wrote

This year is 225-235, but I have heard in other years that it is 250, even 275. I guess it will depend on how many accept and how many have dropped out?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@g93 wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

@iDream wrote

This year is 225-235, but I have heard in other years that it is 250, even 275. I guess it will depend on how many accept and how many have dropped out?

yeah true... also depends on the job market. Its so hard to find a legit job nowadays :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

i find it pretty rude you say UTM is poor mans UTSC when UTM tuition is the same as UTSC and it doesnt have co-op meaning you technically dont have the opportunity to use that money to pay tuition.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@matt2014 wrote

@g93 wrote

i find it pretty rude you say UTM is poor mans UTSC when UTM tuition is the same as UTSC and it doesnt have co-op meaning you technically dont have the opportunity to use that money to pay tuition.

I am sorry if I offended you, but I was not referring to the cost of the programs when I said "poor man's".

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/a+poor+man's+something.html

A BMW is a poor man's Bentley, Sidney Crosby is a poor man's Wayne Gretzky, Rush is a poor man's Led Zepellin.... (I'm trying to come up with something here, hopefully you will get at least one of these references)

From what I have been told, UTM < UTSC. That doesn't mean the BMW (UTM) is bad (It's still a BMW)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of king0fkings king0fkings
Thanks for all the responses but after acceptances, I have two choices left.

Rotman or Brock (should be Laurier BBA too but I messed up my application and I can't fix it...
Was this helpful? Yes 0