yconic - Best wat to learn C?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Best wat to learn C?

A photo of jasonty9 jasonty9
Any books/videos recommendations?
It should be for someone with no programming experience before?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Find an online tutorial, read, do the examples. That's how I've learned any language.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bscit Bscit
Go to university.
Online Tutorials.
Buy a C/C++ Book.
Be smart. Google it first.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Youtube, there are tons of tutorials on youtube that'll go step by step through lessons you'll take in uni
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of LindaS LindaS
YOUTUBE!!!

Actually, I think the best way to learn is to start programming. Try to make a simple calculator. Maybe then go on to make a pda. Also, join a forum, there's so many people out there that are eager to help others.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@engineersrock wrote
I would recommend Udacity:

http://www.udacity.com/

You can learn everything you will learn in university beforehand, and more. At your own pace, on your own time. Lots of resources, discussion boards, etc. as well. Give it a go! It's taught by great professors.

Errr....

There isn't a single course that covers assembly or hardware, there's nothing that covers operating systems or algorithms or data structures. Covers everything you will learn in university and more?! Maybe if you're going to trade school... I didn't even see anything that covers complexity analysis in details.

The cryptography course doesn't even require knowledge of number theory, so I can't possibly see how that is a "third year" course.

Sorry, just wanted to point out that this is nowhere close to a full university program of CS. That's totally factually incorrect.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vmicro vmicro
For books, I recommend K. N. King's C Programming: A modern approach. very well written, and goes into detail on program design as well as syntax. Not sure how good it is for somebody with no programming experience, but it should be ok.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of AyubM AyubM
Try to find an e-book version of the book they teach in first year engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@engineersrock wrote
Sorry greygoose, I was trying to get that across for both those websites and online courses in general. I haven't done many online CSE courses, but I know for other engineering disciplines there are tonnes of lectures available on academicearth, and I have come across CSE ones too. I'll edit my post to make it less misleading.

Just in case, I wasn't trying to imply that online courses replace going to school in real life in any way.

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Hehe, no problem. It's a very common thing for a lot of programmers to think that they learned everything university could teach them in high school or from the internet, when in reality, they are just arrogant. I'm glad you are not in that boat, and that was just my default reaction to the typical attitude.

In terms of learning C, I always recommend K&R C, though people tell me it's dated. :(

A very cute programming book is Learn You a Haskell (for great good!), and it even teaches a purely functional programming language!! mmmmmm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of feppy feppy
Hmm it appears I should invest some time in the summer learning some of this to give myself a head start. bbbbaylife
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted