yconic - Better school for accounting? Rotman, McMaster, Ryerson, Laurier BBA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Better school for accounting? Rotman, McMaster, Ryerson, Laurier BBA

A photo of Swap Swap
If i want to get into accounting and strive for my CA later on, what school would be best and why? (Rotman, McMaster-Business, Ryerson-Business or Laurier BBA)
And please leave some comments about the programs in general, thanks

Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of BudsFan94 BudsFan94

@Swap wrote
If i want to get into accounting and strive for my CA later on, what school would be best and why? (Rotman, McMaster-Business, Ryerson-Business or Laurier BBA)
And please leave some comments about the programs in general, thanks

nippissing or george brown. cant go wrong with either bud
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
1) Laurier BBA- fully accredited, co-op, most UFE gold medal winners, high UFE pass rate, lots of clubs, well-rounded business program
2) Rotman- fully accredited, internationally-recognized school, high UFE pass rate, not in Rotman at first, competitive, hard marking, has its pluses and it known downfalls
3) McMaster- fully accredited, solid business program and a good school, good but not great
4) Ryerson- not fully-accredited (but has 51 credit-hours), decent business school, decent for accounting

1) and 2) could be switched, but IMO Laurier is better than Rotman (some would disagree). Some may even switch 2) and 3) because Rotman isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bossofbosses Bossofbosses

@g93 wrote
1) Laurier BBA- fully accredited, co-op, most UFE gold medal winners, high UFE pass rate, lots of clubs, well-rounded business program
2) Rotman- fully accredited, internationally-recognized school, high UFE pass rate, not in Rotman at first, competitive, hard marking, has its pluses and it known downfalls
3) McMaster- fully accredited, solid business program and a good school, good but not great
4) Ryerson- not fully-accredited (but has 51 credit-hours), decent business school, decent for accounting

1) and 2) could be switched, but IMO Laurier is better than Rotman (some would disagree). Some may even switch 2) and 3) because Rotman isn't everyone's cup of tea.

+1, one could argue either way with rotman and laurier
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy
u would never go wrong with Rotman as long as you are prepared to work your butt off :)
Some prefer Rotman because they have a better international reputation. If reputation is not a matter to you, i would go with Laurier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Swap Swap
So, rotman i heard is really hard to graduate from, why is that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Slowwy wrote
u would never go wrong with Rotman as long as you are prepared to work your butt off :)
Some prefer Rotman because they have a better international reputation. If reputation is not a matter to you, i would go with Laurier.

Yeah, Rotman is really good. I am a little biased towards Laurier, however I do recognize the fact that Rotman could very easily be considered as good or even better than Laurier. I think Rotman more so than most schools just isn't for everyone. But if it floats your boat it is an excellent school with an international rep and if you work hard many opportunities await.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Swap wrote

It's competitive, has a reputation for hard-marking, some people don't like the atmosphere as well and transfer/drop out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy

@Swap wrote

Don't listen to what everyone says because it's often exaggerated...It's not as hard as you think it is. It may be harder compared to other universities, but as long as you work and not leave everything till the last second, you'll be able to manage it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Slowwy wrote

@Swap wrote

Don't listen to what everyone says because it's often exaggerated...It's not as hard as you think it is. It may be harder compared to other universities, but as long as you work and not leave everything till the last second, you'll be able to manage it.

+ 1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Pharger Pharger

@g93 wrote

I absolutely agree. Not definite for Ryerson, but I'd definitely put Brock within these ratings even though it wasn't asked.
Now I've gotten myself in a question:
Since you can compare Rotman and Laurier BBA, How would you compare McMaster and Brock Acc?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BBABOSS BBABOSS

@Pharger wrote

@g93 wrote

I absolutely agree. Not definite for Ryerson, but I'd definitely put Brock within these ratings even though it wasn't asked.
Since you can compare Rotman and Laurier BBA, How would you compare McMaster and Brock Acc?

I wouldn't compare Mac to Brock, i would compare Ryerson to Brock. But that's just my opinion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Pharger wrote

@g93 wrote

I would say that if you are 100% set on becoming an accountant then Brock is better, otherwise McMaster would be better. They are pretty close for accounting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BSchoolMaster BSchoolMaster

@g93 wrote

@Pharger wrote

@g93 wrote

I would say that if you are 100% set on becoming an accountant then Brock is better, otherwise McMaster would be better. They are pretty close for accounting.

I am not sure where you're conjuring up these "rankings", but you should research further before you compare schools. If your end goal is to work for Big 4 Audit, I'd recommend Rotman, Laurier, and Brock.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@BSchoolMaster wrote

@g93 wrote

@Pharger wrote

@g93 wrote

I am not sure where you're conjuring up these "rankings", but you should research further before you compare schools. If your end goal is to work for Big 4 Audit, I'd recommend Rotman, Laurier, and Brock.

He asked which of the 4 schools are better. And I said Laurier (although I am a little biased) and Rotman (noting that some people don't like it, but great school), which are two that you just recommended. McMaster would be 3rd and Ryerson 4th (Mac is fully accredited). And if comparing Brock vs McMaster, Brock is better for accounting. But if you get stuck in an accounting program and find out you don't like accounting then you're kinda stuck. I have researched these schools and my rankings are pretty well the same as yours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@g93 wrote

1) and 2) could be switched, but IMO Laurier is better than Rotman (some would disagree).

+ 1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danselikeme danselikeme
For accounting, i would go to waterloo personally. AFm, accounting and financial management, they have coop from first year i believe and it has a good reputation.

but if your comparing those 4, defintily laurier and rotman are top, then mcmaster. i agree mostly with everyone else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of peterv peterv
Laurier or Rotman.
Was this helpful? Yes 0