yconic - Biology and Medical Sciences western VS Life Science McMaster and Biomedical Science Waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Biology and Medical Sciences western VS Life Science McMaster and Biomedical Science Waterloo

A photo of roseliver roseliver
Hi

I am grade 12 student living in Vancouver.
I've got offer of admission for three programs, Biology and Medical Sciences western,Life Science McMaster, and Biomedical Science Waterloo.

I have to chose one of them by end of next week. I would like to chose a school that prepare me for medschool.

I am in a tough situation.

Any one can help me chose one of these?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of roseliver roseliver
Most likely I will get admission for UBC Science too. How is UBC VS McMaster, Waterloo and Western?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Becmaryfrances Becmaryfrances
I'm in a similar position! I've been accepted into the biomedical science program at Guelph, Life Science at Mac and Bio-Med at Western. I'm also having trouble deciding, but I think I'm going to go with Western because they offer a bachelor of medical science instead of a bachelor of science. Waterloo, Guelph and Mac only offer a bachelor of science. I don't think there's much of a difference between these, but I've been told that a bachelor of medical science looks better when applying to graduate school. My friend was accepted into bio at Waterloo, and she says that the program isn't as good as at Western or Mac (Waterloo is known for its excellent co-op and engineering programs, however). McMaster's a really excellent school, but their programs are more generalized than Western. For instance, instead of majoring in microbiology, you would major in life science, biology, biochemistry and biomedical science, etc. It is because Western is more specialized and offers a BMSc that I have decided to accept my offer there. Good luck! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
They all sound great!
I am biased here but I would personally go off to Western because it has a dentistry & medical school... ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mutuba mutuba

@heesoup wrote
They all sound great!
I am biased here but I would personally go off to Western because it has a dentistry & medical school... ;)

So does UBC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mutuba wrote

@heesoup wrote
They all sound great!

So does UBC.

OP did not even mention UBC. Plus, med/dentistry schools are harder to get in in BC because of the lack of them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mutuba mutuba

@heesoup wrote

@mutuba wrote

@heesoup wrote
They all sound great!

So does UBC.

OP did not even mention UBC. Plus, med/dentistry schools are harder to get in in BC because of the lack of them.

Might want to read second post. UBC med/dent prefers to accept its own students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mutuba wrote

@heesoup wrote

@mutuba wrote

@heesoup wrote
They all sound great!

So does UBC.

Might want to read second post. UBC med/dent prefers to accept its own students.

My bad. There is a med school at UNBC right? But I know that people don't go there because of the distance. I still think Western is a better choice than UBC just because UBC people would want to go to UBC but if one comes to Western and does not get into its med/dentistry school, they could also move around the province and try U of T, Ottawa, etc. while UBC to another province might be a bit drastic...lol I am not making sense at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0