yconic - Biology, chemistry and math mandatory for registered nurse?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Biology, chemistry and math mandatory for registered nurse?

A photo of chenkr chenkr
Hello everybody, I was just wondering if it important to excel at the subjects biology, chemistry and math in order to become a registered nurse?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of stoichiometry stoichiometry
Of course they are important if you are in healthcare.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
yup all are important for becoming a RN, they are the prereq's along with english to get your four year bachelor's degree at most universities for nursing!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@chenkr wrote
Hello everybody, I was just wondering if it important to excel at the subjects biology, chemistry and math in order to become a registered nurse?

If you ever plan on being able to understand anatomy, physiology, nutrition, pathology, pharmacology,etc. then yes, it is important.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of flonightingale14 flonightingale14

@chenkr wrote

If you don't understand biology, chemistry and math, then how will you understand your anatomy, pharmacology or pathophysiology?

How will you know if your patient is entering a state of partially compensated respiratory acidosis? Or understand what happens in the body when you begin getting back flow of blood due to your valves not being able to shut properly? Or read a telemetry machine your patient is hooked up to? Or understand the side effects of the medication you are administering?

Bio and chem are needed to understand how the body works. If you can't grasp these, then you shouldn't become an RN.

You don't need to excel (like gain 100% in every test) per say, but you do need to achieve a high understanding or high marks (>85%) to become an RN.
Was this helpful? Yes 0