yconic - biomed at western or life science at mcmaster, queens...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

biomed at western or life science at mcmaster, queens...

A photo of darkchoco darkchoco
hello soo..
I applied to biomed-western, life sci-mcgill, mcmaster, waterloo and just science at queens... and I already got accepted into western, mcgill, waterloo, n queens... im still waiting for mcmaster.
well, first i really wanted to go western for sure but now i dont know 100% where i want to go... sooo i was wondering if anyone could give me some advise about pros/cons for each univ's...
if my avg for term 1 is about 90-92% (but i didnt work as much as i should've been in term 2 so my mark dropped down dramatically) then is it going to be tough to keep it up in univ???
cuz i want to go into dentistry.... thats why i badly wanted to go western
please help me!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo
McGill's your best bet... It's international reputation is superior and their biology programs are their strongest. McMaster is probably the second best... their acceptance rates to med school are really high.

But you do mean BSc. Biol, Biomed, & Life Sci (91.5% cutoff) right? Not Life Sciences at McDonald's campus (75.0% cutoff).

Edit: I see you got into Queen's.. May I ask what your average was??

Edit 2: Oh nvm you posted it... I don't get how no one I know has gotten in yet -.-
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the reply~
Yeah I was thinking about McGill too but I don't kno that for sure because if I study at McGill is it going to be tough?
Is it hard to keep up 80% avg in university especially @ McGill??
Or are all the universities the same I mean is it really hard??
Oh for McGill I got acceptance in math n comp sci tho... Because my calculus mark was really high I guess that helped but I'm still waiting for biomed I think my average wasn't good enough :(
For queens I got acceptance letter last friday or so and my friend's average is a little bit higher than mine (about a percent or so) but she didnt get it yet..... I'm not sure I'd this will help you tho;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo

@darkchoco wrote
Thanks for the reply~
Yeah I was thinking about McGill too but I don't kno that for sure because if I study at McGill is it going to be tough?
Is it hard to keep up 80% avg in university especially @ McGill??
Or are all the universities the same I mean is it really hard??
Oh for McGill I got acceptance in math n comp sci tho... Because my calculus mark was really high I guess that helped but I'm still waiting for biomed I think my average wasn't good enough :(
For queens I got acceptance letter last friday or so and my friend's average is a little bit higher than mine (about a percent or so) but she didnt get it yet..... I'm not sure I'd this will help you tho;)

Well I do know that McGill's sciences are quite difficult but I think that if you're disciplined you should be okay. I don't think the difficulty of the program should be the reason that you turn your back on the best (pretty much) program in the country. You'll probably have to skip a few parties and keep up with work and stuff. Like right now, I always end up reading the entire chapter the day before the test and I don't think that'll work for McGill's program... I think if I kept doing this I would fail :P

At McGill, I believe a 4.0GPA = A = 85% +, 3.7GPA = A- = 80-84%, 3.3GPA = B+ = 75-79%, etc. So the 4.0GPA bracket is actually quite large (because there are no A+'s). Don't know if this helps at all but I thought it was useful to know :P

On another note... My avg is 94.5% (IB Diploma) and my Queen's decision is still "Pending" >:( Very frustrating haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheLaw TheLaw

@darkchoco wrote
hello soo..
I applied to biomed-western, life sci-mcgill, mcmaster, waterloo and just science at queens... and I already got accepted into western, mcgill, waterloo, n queens... im still waiting for mcmaster.
well, first i really wanted to go western for sure but now i dont know 100% where i want to go... sooo i was wondering if anyone could give me some advise about pros/cons for each univ's...
if my avg for term 1 is about 90-92% (but i didnt work as much as i should've been in term 2 so my mark dropped down dramatically) then is it going to be tough to keep it up in univ???
cuz i want to go into dentistry.... thats why i badly wanted to go western
please help me!!!

Firstly, both med and dental schools, in Canada do not look the applicant's school's prestige and popularity, they treat all the universities in Canada the same.

Having said that then you are going to need a high GPA, Western and McMaster are the easier out of your choices. If you are not sure, you can visit the campuses, see which one you like and talk to some students and profs, then make up your mind.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Chelbear Chelbear
I just finished touring the campuses at Western, MAC and Queens. Specifically I was trying to get a feel of what each university had to offer when it came to their science/biomedical programs. I was impressed with all three universities and their science programs. I believe that no matter which university is chosen that I will receive an excellent education. All have put tremendous resources into their programs and offer top notch facilities. To me it comes down to which university you will feel the most comfortable at. There are positives and negatives to each. I would strongly recommend that you tour each university that you are seriously considering attending and not base your decision solely on information posted on the "sites" or information provided via the internet/supplied by the respective universities. If you are serious and work hard I'm sure the marks will be there to support whatever direction you decide post graduate. Good luck:bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks Chelbear & everyone
i know that campus tours are the best
but the thing is that i live in BC
and i cannot afford enough money for the plane ticket @.@ lol
so i checked the website & virtual tours for res and buildings and somehow western seems really nice
so i am about 90% sure that i want to go western -- also there was an info session in vancouver last week and so i got meet a chem prof @ western he seems to be nice...
and for those of you who took campus tours how was it??
i mean i know that all the universities are huge and nice,,,
but im pretty sure that some universities were different than others...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cathy12366 cathy12366
Can i ask ur avg. Please? because u accepted in western but not in mcmaster.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
Hi Choco,

You live in Van but plan to go to school in Ontario and have not visited any of them ? What is the specific draw to Ontario ? You are about to make a commitment to $70K & 4 years of your life. It is worth the $1K now for you and a parent to make the trip East to tour each school. Roadtrip !

I have also applied to the same schools and have toured each. I will also go back before making the final decision after narrowing down to final two. All of these are fine Unni's and you (we) cannot go wrong, but they all have a different feel to them. I was surprised in some cases after visits.

I thought:

Western might be too big and party town (based on the forum), but the campus was amazing and the wide selection of Bio-Med courses is a plus. Campus open house was super well run and everyone was attentive & helpful. Dean actually walked over and talked to me. They genuinely wanted to help me decide. New athletics facility.

Mac - had a great smaller feel campus (nice) and the students at the campus center were openly fun and friendly. Was my original first choice. Health-sci course-load and competition appears really tough.

McGill - downtown Montreal (I mean right downtown). Prestige is +++ with World-class profs. Came off a little arrogant in the tours (or maybe that was pride). Buildings are hit and miss, some new inside, some antiquated. Some rez are converted high-rise hotels (cool except for elevators). Most multi-cultural based on visit.

Queens - I live near so know it well. Originally was not on my list (too close), but after visit and talk to profs it is back on my list. Some good study opportunities, excellent new lab facilities, and +++ student school spirit. New athletics facility

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chelbear Chelbear

@Meridian wrote
Hi Choco,

You live in Van but plan to go to school in Ontario and have not visited any of them ? What is the specific draw to Ontario ? You are about to make a commitment to $70K & 4 years of your life. It is worth the $1K now for you and a parent to make the trip East to tour each school. Roadtrip !

I have also applied to the same schools and have toured each. I will also go back before making the final decision after narrowing down to final two. All of these are fine Unni's and you (we) cannot go wrong, but they all have a different feel to them. I was surprised in some cases after visits.

I thought:

Western might be too big and party town (based on the forum), but the campus was amazing and the wide selection of Bio-Med courses is a plus. Campus open house was super well run and everyone was attentive & helpful. Dean actually walked over and talked to me. They genuinely wanted to help me decide. New athletics facility.

Mac - had a great smaller feel campus (nice) and the students at the campus center were openly fun and friendly. Was my original first choice. Health-sci course-load and competition appears really tough.

McGill - downtown Montreal (I mean right downtown). Prestige is +++ with World-class profs. Came off a little arrogant in the tours (or maybe that was pride). Buildings are hit and miss, some new inside, some antiquated. Some rez are converted high-rise hotels (cool except for elevators). Most multi-cultural based on visit.

Queens - I live near so know it well. Originally was not on my list (too close), but after visit and talk to profs it is back on my list. Some good study opportunities, excellent new lab facilities, and +++ student school spirit. New athletics facility

I have to agree with Meridian. My family and I just got back from our "down east" tour of Western, MAC and Queens. Given my northwestern ontario location we had to travel by air to get to the toronto area and then drive from there. Our march break was kind of sacrificed to view the universities, but given the amount of money, time and importance of the decision it is almost a must to visit the universities. I'm glad we did. My comments on the various campuses/universities:

Western - well organized open house. Very informative. Although large campus, it well organized and given that I'm interested in Science/BioMedical, the buildings for this faculty are all pretty well together. The residences were generally in good condition with eating facilities generally within each residence. A lot of money being spent. Green space a plenty.

MAC - excellent self contained campus. Easy to get around. Residences close to all buildings. Availability of space is infringing on some of the green space within the university. Appears more money dedicated towards health sciences versus life sciences. City of Hamilton (around the university) was a bit disappointing compared to london or kingston.

Queens - great school spirit. Campus smaller than the above two. I always pictured the campus to be far better than anywhere else, however I preferred western's. Great science/labs. Money being spent in the science faculty.

Overall difficult decision as each university had there negatives but I got the feel that each of their science programs will deliver an excellent education experience and open up opportunities for me. I'm glad I went.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cathy12366 wrote

Well my average when I sent my transcript was 91%...
I know that some people have 89% or even below was accepted but I don't know why mine is late
I'm not even sure if they got my transcript tho cuz there is no way I can check
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stack444 stack444

@darkchoco wrote

@cathy12366 wrote

Well my average when I sent my transcript was 91%...
I know that some people have 89% or even below was accepted but I don't know why mine is late
I'm not even sure if they got my transcript tho cuz there is no way I can check

i would call them to make sure, especially if you are serious about going there. i have gotten accepted there with an 89 so it doesnt make sense. maybe they do out of province later? give them a call
Was this helpful? Yes 0